Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Ford 2dr sedan into a 3 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 47chevycoupe, Nov 6, 2009.

1. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

Done a search and found somethings but not using stock Ford sheet metal. Has anybody done this or is even possible?

I have a 36 Ford 2 dr sedan. Its not worth anything so I am thinking about trying to turn it into a 3 window but using mostly stock parts. My fabricating skills are not the best so this is why I was wanting to use stock Ford sheet metal. Time is not important (the last car was there 10 yrs) as I have an empty spot in the garage that I can park it in and go to cutting :D

I have found 3 window quarters but nothing else. The rear fender are different, will need a trunk lid and maybe the doors????? What else will be needed for the conversion?

Any input is appreciated.

2. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Well unfortunately you are going to be in for some extensive fabrication in order to do this. But it can be done and if you have the quarters you are on your way.

3. Rod & Custom did a feature a while ago about a guy who converted a `36 tudor humpback into a 3-window...if you could find that article i'm sure it would be a big help

4. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

send a pm to hellonwheels, he's doing one right now,,

5. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

6. Why not just buy a rough one and combine the two into one car? You say time is not important, well it takes time to find one, but they're out there. My buddy has one and found it completely by accident.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I want to see pictures of a 36 2 door sedan that is not worth anything.

8. Ratty

Ratty

Me too , I'll give you nothing for it if its taking up space ;)

9. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey47CHEVYCOUPE...why not? but you are going to need very expensive parts. well like the 1s you mentioned. man I salute your courage. but that's what a body man told my son. and i thaught--he's confusing courage with INSANITY! HA! you have my BEST WISHES...call me POP...or the old FART.

10. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Yeah pics would be nice of the quarters and the car.......

11. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

I have a rough back half of one im selling for 1200. Its good for the rear roof section and the b-pillars. which are of course 3 window only. PM me if your interested. It has quarters but they are shot.
    Dan

12. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

13. I'm not sure if this fellow is on the HAMB but there's a guy in Virginia who converted either a 5-window or 3-window into a cabriolet/convertible. It's not exactly what you have in mind but I've spoken with him and he's pretty knowledgeable. He should be able to give you some hints and tips. If memory serves me his name is Bob Culcipher (or something close) - PM me and I'll see if I can find get an email address for you.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  14. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Looks like you have it for sale in the classifieds. What gives, are you selling it or building it?

15. Janne

Janne

Just do some simple blacksmithing.:)

16. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

Here is one..................

[​IMG]

The one I have for sale, its listed here and a few other places. Have had a couple of trades offers (want to sell) and 1 cash offer, $100.00 over scrap price which is $150.00 a ton. Nobody has yet to come and look at it. I have plenty of garage space but if it does get in the way I can move it to the farm.

I saw your ad on fordbarn and emailed you about it.

After the last build, more than 10 years working on it, that did not get finished my wife has doubts that this will ever get done. I wonder why she could ever have any thoughs that this car would not get finished?????Thats why it has been for sale, not for sale and so on. There has not been any serious or realistic offers......:( We are looking at the Saturn Sky, a turn key car....

If I am involved, simple.............thats me :eek::eek:

17. Janne

Janne

That was quote from "Norwegian blacksmith's 3w conversion thread.:)

18. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

I have been looking at epay........there is a 36 3 window body setting on a homemade frame. Was thinking about bidding on it. What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0348027045&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

1) I am a fool, just build what I have

2) take a loss and sell the sedan

3) Its exactly what I need, this way I will learn how to do body work and when I am done it will look like crap

4) ???????????????

19. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

So what are you going to do with it? And where are the pics of the quarters that you have?

20. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

I do not have any pictures of the 3window parts. I contacted Dan and he has not sent and pictures. I understand from the emails that it is the roof and b pillars only, quarters are damaged.

What I would like to do is fix it up and be able to drive it. We do not have any kids so a 2 passenger car is enough for us. The reason I own the car is an Ebay impulse :eek:........... Why I bid on the car at the last minute?????????? Who knows, but I own it and need to figure out what to do with it. Keep it or sell it but so far no luck in that. Have had lots of interest in it though.

If it was a 32 it would be chopped, lowered and painted black. The 36 flatback sedan is not the best looking car in my opinion. I like the 3 window the best but might have to go with something different. So here I am again. Have not been comfortable on any idea on the car yet. Had found a 4-71 for a Chevy but without major surgery it would not fit.