Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Eagle Field Fresno Dragways Reunion DRAG RACES!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toymaker, Nov 2, 2009.

1. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

So can I wear a current breather mask and open face helmet at this deal? They are safe and were legal up until this year. NHRA freaked and went overboard because one of the nostalgia TF guys got a little burned when his engine grenaded- so they mandated it for every open wheel car, even if you are running unblown and 10s. Nuts!

2. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I missed the posts and I'm glad you guys worked it out, your both great and valued supporters. Rocky

3. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

What are you bringin' vox'? 'O' I missed the unblown and in the 10's, you can wear it!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  4. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

I'm wondering too Dean. I know you for the vintage Kart stuff. Anything else motorized?

5. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Definately. That's the one big drawback to the internet. You can't see the look on the other person's face to know if they are jopking or not, and the fact that whatever you post is there forever.

6. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Who I consider friends!

7. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Toymaker - I just noticed the date of spring 2010 on you sig...you're moving it from the fall?

Guess I'll have to get to work over the winter...

8. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

We are having 2 events in 2010:D The Fresno Dragways Reunion spring event is '73 and earlier and the 2nd Annual Hot Rod gathering Fall event is '65 and earlier. Gonna be a long winter! Rocky

9. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

If you make the fall event open to '73 I could probably get quite a few guys to come out...

10. Neglected Steel

Neglected Steel

Gonna have CCR Cranked up when we come through the gates!!!!!

11. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

Well, I know it's wishful thinking to think that we'll have it done for this meet, but I know we'll be out there at some point if you keep having them.

We ordered up a King Chassis and we're building a hilborn injected 130" wheelbase 1963 dragster. Pick up the chassis at the end of January.

Realistically we'll probably be running mid-high 9's to start with, but hope with experience to whittle it down to mid 8's in the 1/4 mile.

But I wanna wear the face mask and open face helmet!!!

If you wanna follow the build, I started a blog: http://rocinanteridesagain.wordpress.com/

12. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

I'm finishing up a BC1100! ;-)

I dunno if you saw the reply about the digger my buddy and I are building. But realistically it will probably be 2011 at the earliest before it's done. Just getting the chassis/body/steering rear axles and probably wheels and tires brings the budget down to zero. So we'll need to save up for brakes, engine and driveline stuff and that's going to take awhile.

13. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

"O" that's BADASS! You're welcome at our events, like I said 1 in the spring and 1 in the fall. See ya there! Rocky

14. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

That's the plan.............Blarrin' from the CHOPPER!

15. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thanks INJON' but we're gonna keep the Fall event as-is for our HAMB Brothers:D

16. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Rocky, you know I prefer 1/4 mile for racing.

But you also know how I desperately love flag starts and eyeballed finishes, damn it takes me back. For that, 1/8 is perfect. All the fun and half the hassles.

Keep it the way you have it and I'll always be there, with bells on.

17. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thanks Old6!

18. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Don't have any bells, (yet), but we are with you all the way. :D

19. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Will ya have "bells" by May:D

20. stormy byrd

stormy byrd

VOXNUT
    First:
    Those King Chassis are VERY COOL! and I'm jealous your getting one.

My open face 2005 SA Shoei is legal to 2017, the face mask is not banned by NHRA.
    They(NHRA) require a full face helmet for all blown , open body cars.

Rocky , I believe got independent insurance as anyone can putting on an independent race. You do not have to go through NHRA. My helmet is Dot approved SA (special applications) and good through 2017. Eagle Field was not an NHRA sanctioned race as many others are not.

Bernie Longjohn who went to Alabama after LACR closed & bought "Bama Dragway" told me that there were 24 dragstrips in Alabama, 2 NHRA, 1 IHRA (then 1 NHRA after he changed sanctioning bodies) .
    The 22 Independent dragstrips there have Independent insurance, some with the same company NHRA uses.
    They require up to date safety equipment, IE roll bars,helmets,seat bealts. catch cans, some items must be SFI approved. They use the NHRA rule book as a guideline.Cars running slower than 10 seconds are not required by NHRA to have an SFI type chassis like mine. What I'm saying is , hope to see you out there and have fun.

I dont know what type of tranny your going to run, but if it's a powerglide I have a good TCI tranny blanket (no sfi tag , but then your going slower than 10 sec. ) you can have it if you want.

Stormy

21. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

Stormy!

Thanks a ton! I've admired your car since I first saw pics of it from the old one-time Banning Airport drag race a few years ago.

We should be running high nines outta the box, so that kinda blows the 10-second deal. When I made the initial statement, I was pointing out that they (NHRA) were requiring full face helmets for all open wheel cars, no matter the class or ET, not that we were planning on running slower than 9.99. Our goal is to eventually run mid 8's.

But I certainly hope that the independent thing takes over, although that will be a tough sell for full time tracks in California. But things like Eagle Field and the Kingdon Reunion where there are once or twice a year deals are ripe for that kind of thing.

It's just weird to see a period car and then a high tech helmet tucked back into the roll bar. We're going to work hard to make the car as period as possible, and I think the open face helmet and breather mask are a big part of the deal- I know it's always been a part of what I think about when I'm dreaming about it. ;-)

Dean

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  22. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

That's awesome Dean. Typical gearhead - can't stay with one thing...

Can't wait to see the Bonanza. Ever finish the Taco?

23. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Cool deal. At least my '64 LeMans is HAMB friendly as far as the year goes. The wheels may get me ran off though... :D

Attached Files:

24. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

Oh yeah, finished the Taco maybe two years ago and the kid tears around on it at the kart meets and occasionally up and down our street.

I had actually called Rocky because Adam wanted to take on all comers at the Eagle Field Drags but it was an 18 and over deal (?!) even for the mini bikes. I think he was just afraid that a 50 lb kid with a 3 horse Briggs with the governor removed was going to humble everyone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I quit hangin around the Taco board because it seemed like some secret So Cal society, and me posting there was like the sound of one hand clapping...

I geeked out on the Bonanza and it's Nassau Blue and I tracked down a period HS50 and all that jazz. The whole time I'm working on it and making it way nicer than I ever intended I'm saying to myself "what am I thinkin'?!" I'm also in the middle or rewiring my '53 Triumph and need to put the little '64 BSA back together. But that's all time and not parts- thank heavens since the ex is getting all my parts money every month... not that I'm bitter about it! :)

But once the end of January rolls around and we pick up the frame, everything else goes on hold for the dragster. For the next coupla 3 years it'll be KDRG- all drag racing all the time!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  25. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Cool deal. The Taco came out great. Can't wait to see the Bonanza.

BTW, the Taco board is just slow. I don't think there's a secret society, just that the guys on the board don't post much. It's actually a ghost town now that everything there is about Tacos has been talked about. I even suggested a general discussion area, etc, but they only wanted to talk about Tacos. Now there's not much left to talk about I guess...

26. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Don't worry 'Tom your welcome at our events. There are no traditional police:D Rocky

27. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

The whole race thing is new to the property owner and we are cautiously getting into racing events. I appreciate you understanding Dean and things may loosen up in the future. Rocky

28. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

Awww no sweat Rocky- I was just joshin' around with you. I should have put the smiley face after the statement.

I know from doing the vintage kart meets that insurance companies and track owners are tricky things to deal with. A lot of the vintage karts are actually faster in a straight line than the modern ones (some hitting close to 80-85 MPH on a 300 foot straight) with absolutely none of the safety features that are required by modern racing. So we had to really work it to convince track owners that we would be cool and no one is out to dice that hard, just run them at speed. Those buggers are too hard to restore with all the period correct goodies to want to jepordize your hard work, or worse, someone else's. So it's been a process.

Hopefully in time the owners will realize that kids Adam's age race karts and jr. dragsters all the time and can handle themselves.

29. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I thought I saw a smiley:D Look forward to watching your digger build!

30. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

Speaking of which, I don't know if you are interested, but this drag kart:
    [​IMG]

Was just rebuilt and the guy lives in the central valley. If he can run it at Eagle Field, I'm sure he'd love to have the opportunity. I can talk to him. One of a kind dragster built by Kendick Engineering in 1967. Has 4 McCulloch (yes, the same company that built the superchargers) Mc101 125cc engines on alky. Thats 500ccs and a total of 60 HP on a 200 lb. kart. It ran low 11 second ETs in '68 and then was retired and went missing. The picture on the cover of the magazine was taken at San Fernando.

Anyway, he found the kart in a dumpster a few years back minus engines and it's just cleaned up and the engines were located and rebuilt and mounted.

Here's some footage of the first fire up and easy run (hard to do because it was a road course and not a drag strip) at the vintage kart meet we had in Medford in September. It's really something in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJsAnV3FJLE

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009