Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Pickup front suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mj40's, Nov 4, 2009.

1. mj40's

mj40's

I am struggling with what front suspension system to put in my 40 pickup project. I know the 4 bar system is commonly used on the 28 to 34 Fords. But has anyone used one of these on a 40 Ford? Speedway sells a 4 bar system for the 40 Ford but I have never seen one installed.

Attached Files:

2. Dragons

Dragons
    BANNED
    from Topock,AZ

Those front hangers look "odd". I'm sure they work, but they look weird to me.

3. On my '40 pickup I put a Heidts crossmember with Mustang ll suspension parts and a manuel rack. It is a smooth ride and tracks great.

4. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

Stock Henry style works for me with modern touches.
    Basic dropped axle with stock GM power steering, disc brakes and split bones. Daily parts hauler goes great at 70+ hwy driving.

Attached Files:

5. the-rodster

the-rodster

If you're gunna run a solid axle, why not just split bones?

Rich

6. 36tbird

36tbird

You don't have to split the wishbones depending on what trans you plan on using. I've got a Muncie 4 speed behind my flathead in a '36 pickup with an intact wishbone. I used a Chassis Engineering center and reworked the bottom plate to accept the ball mount. With a rebuilt '40 steering box, it rides and steers great.

7. OGS41

OGS41

Here's a dropped axle with 4 bar. I'm still trying to research how this came to be.Components all seem to be Chassis Engineering. Jim at CE spotted the fact that the brackets to tie the perch caps to the axle were missing and found me some.

Attached Files:

8. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I know that Butchs Rod Shop used to have a four bar/tube axle set up. A friend used one on a 40 coupe many years ago. Worked fine. Joe

9. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

My '40 coupe has one of the old Butch's Rod Shop four bar setups; it has worked well for over 20 years. A panhard bar improved the steering response. My '41 pickup has a dropped axle and split bones (I think we sourced them from SAC, but it was over 25 years ago) that also work well. My experience tells me that either will work fine.