Register now to get rid of these ads!

Awesome score of the day!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lexman24, Nov 3, 2009.

1. lexman24

lexman24

well I got as far as inspecting the bore through a spark plug hole and I can see the new crosshatch in the cylinders and also the top of the pistons, it has cast internals but they appear new. I also looked into the lifter gally through the distributor hole and there is purple assembly lube on the roller lifter brackets. So it looks pretty good so far. It will be quite a while before i get to fire it but, I am confident she's a good one :)

2. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Tell me about it, My brother bought a "fresh" 383 "stroker", turned out to be a fresh 305 0.030 over out of a '87 Monte Carlos....He wasn't impressed when I broke him the news...

3. Dragons

Dragons
    BANNED
    from Topock,AZ

And all 302's are 347s. :D

4. RocketPinstriping

RocketPinstriping
    from Waco Tx

mine is! lol :D i had an experience like that when i was into atv sand drags, bought one cherry, got to a race and found the whole top end was bad!
    no sad stories with cars though, well maybe one:rolleyes:

5. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

my newport has a real 383...

6. Dragons

Dragons
    BANNED
    from Topock,AZ

Well, I hope it works out for you. In this economy, there are good deals out there.

I bought a transam parts car for 2 cartons of ciggs. Posi disc rear, T-5 trans, had a 350 that had been replaced in, BUT the wiring was out so I got it non running. Well, the kid and I threw together a 1925 T truck (in 23 days) and had put the motor in. 2 pumps on the right pedal, and she fired and runs like a champ,,,,,, of course, I heard the "it won't even fire thats why he gave it away" crap right up till the key turned. :D

7. lexman24

lexman24

Well its quite simple to tell a 350 block from a 305. Especially the later model block, it says 5.7 right on the back at the top of the bellhousing. Plus You should always check casting numbers of a particular block before buying. To bad for him....:eek:

8. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

that seems to good to be true....does it have a 400 balancer?

9. lexman24

lexman24

I thought of that too. It does not have any cutouts or drill holes in the balancer, so I don't think its a 400 balancer, but its a new rotating assembly and it could have been balanced. I am gonna have to pull a head off and check the stroke to be for sure. But even if it does end up to be a 350, It was still a good buy. I have another 96 vortec motor in my morris minor that has over 200,000 miles on it and a blower, and it runs sweet. I think I am gonna use this bottom end for my morris :)

10. sinks88

sinks88

Not a bad price for a base, but all engines not built by you will have to be torn apart and gone through, I did that same kind of thing with my 350, I got a SB 350 and Turbo 350 for $300 complete (starter, fan, alt...everything) but I still had to take it all down and start fresh, Bore and Decking and new pistons...etc etc....I would never trust any guy with any moter, unless you saw him put it together....Its worth it to pull it all apart no matter what.

11. Didn't take that tranny shop long to pull out the B&M guts and put in the worn out used stuff did it? :D

12. aldixie

aldixie

Good luck, hope it turns out good for you. I bought a stroked 350 (383) shortblock for $100. Turned it around 3 weeks later for $500. The same guy I bought the stroked small block from now has an LS1 for sale for $450. Some times lucks on your side.

13. lexman24

lexman24

Well I said I would be the first to admit if I was wrong. I WAS WRONG. :rolleyes:
    I took the pan off today to check the internals. It is a stock stroke 350. It has all used crank, rods, pistons, cam, etc. But it was professionally rebuilt with new rings and bearings and the heads are refurbished, and still appears to be a great engine, but its just a rebuilt stock 350 is all. Bummer... But I called the guy I bought it from and he is giving my money back. I would still use it but I just don't need another stock 350. So as you all said, IT WAS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. The only safe bet is to pull the pan when buying from strangers. ;)

14. A Rodder

A Rodder

At least it is ending well, just get cash from him and not a check, just kidding, lol - Joe