Register now to get rid of these ads!

Info.?=AZ guys...1955-56 Merc fans, WOODIE guys...anyone KNOW these cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stationWAGONS, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

Confusing Craigslist deal (I avoided)...but I'd actually like to know who owns these cars!
    THANKS...!

PHOENIX/SCOTTSDALE AREA.
    Anyone know Mr. "azbarnfinds"?

See pic of 1955 PONTIAC wagon,,,"sold to Jim Lawrence" marked on window at the auction seller supposedly BOUGHT it at, to resell.
    I asked him why the name was different from his, and he got weird.

A few months ago I answered an ad on Phoenix Craigslist about this Merc woodie - anyone else see it? April, '09.

Price was not a "steal", but not "too much", really either.
    Had some pictures of it parked (see pics) at some sort of repair shop, where it looks like it had been for a long time.

The seller, a guy with a German accent (just "okay" English), said he bought and sold car to resell, made sense. (his e-mail even had "barnfinds" in it).

He said the pictures were taken where he had found it. Apologized, because really he was running the ad a little prematurely, as it happened.
    He had not brought it home the day he was supposed to, he said.

So he would call nme and send more pics. in a couple of days, once he got it home.
    He and his partners bought these and resold them.
    Okay...so far.
    Got more pics...but in the same spot, not like he had picked it up at all.
    Check it out - the pics. are right by a public road.

Is this one of those deals where people take pics of cars that can be seen in the open, and try to advertise them, guys?
    IF THIS IS YOUR CAR, LET ME KNOW - SOMETHING WAS ODD. IF YOU KNOW THIS CAR...I'D LIKE TO TALK TO THE OWNER AND:
    #1=Try to buy it.
    #2=If it waas never for sale, tell him to put hjis car in the back of the shop! Weird stuff's going on, then.

Anyone know this one? I'd like to find out who really owns it!

I believe it IS in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, but I am not sure it's really for sale, by anyone.

Anyway, I was curious but hesitant.
    Told himthe Craigslist seller to tell me when he HAD it in his possession. Said he was etting the title, too.

I told him I was interested in GM wagons, and he said I was in luck, he and a partner were buying out a "lifelong collection" of some guy in his 90s. About an hour from Phoenix in the desert.
    Apparently the deal (on 50+ cars) was already done, they just had to figure out how to GET them all to somewhere close (who has room for 50 projects to sell off?).
    He even quote me a few prices, and said he had pics from when they were up there buying.

I did not really believe it, but he sent me about 40 pictures from the "sale", of cars they had bought. Supposedly they got all the cars.
    They all seemed to be in the same location by the pics.
    I asked a couple of AZ car friend of mine (old guys who know a lot of people) and no one they knew had heard of a big buinch being sold, but it's always possible.
    Weird part #2.

We spoke back and forth on the phone, and he was working on getting cars back to the property he and his business partner had, etc. etc., etc.. - for about a month. No real "new" info.

At one point there was another delay in more info. because the 90+ year old owner of the "collection" had supposedly had minor surgery, delaying the picking up of the cars. Uh-huh.
    (NONE had been moved yet -over 40 cars paid for, you'd think the buyer would get some within a month?
    And someone in their 90s didn't have anyone helping with the sale of 50+ cars and land? ).

I got to looking at the pictures of the cars in the "old man's lot" where they were supposedly all bought by the guy on Cr-list

...a 1955 PONTIAC 4-dr wagon looked good, but in the windshield it said,
    "SOLD - JIM _____".
    I asked the seller (who hadn't brough those cars home yet", why that car said, "SOLD TO..." (someone else).

He said that was the name on the cars HE bought at the sale.
    If he said it was his business partner, it's make sense. But he tells me that that was how they marked the cars HE bought.
    (His name was German, and nothing like "Jim").
    ODD answer.

I checked in 3 more times, left messages, but there were no more updates on the mysterious dozens of cars he had bought, and I had seen pictures of.
    I think there was an auction, or estate auction of a bunch of stuff. He might not have had anything to do with it, though except takling pictutres there. The "SOLD TO___(SOMEONE ELSE) on the car hje said he bought was the biggest red flag.

Anyone know what this sale was, know anyone who went to it? I found nothing online about recent stuff at the time. Would have been known - lots of stuff there. Mostly crap, some cool stuff...look at the pictures...rign any bells out there in AZ? I'd LIKE TO TRACK DOWN THE MERC WOODIE (WHICH WAS PHOTOGRAPHED AT ANOTHER LOCATION, WHER IT HAD BEEN FOR A LONG TIME...I THINK IT STILL IS THERE< AND IS JUST SOMEONE'S CAR, ANYINFO.?

THANKS, HAMBERS! %&^&*#*@ Craigslist!

I spaced it for months, but then got to thinking - ask on the HAMB.
    That Mercury is real, and obviously visible (it's right by a road).
    (I hate to jump to conclusions, but come on...).
    With a high price tag, and a potential buyer already calling...if it really was yours to sell, you'd complete a deal.

~Ad was pulled from craigslits.
    ~I checked periodically - there was never another ad on Craigslist
    attached to that e-mail address.
    ~The phone # was never in another ad.
    ~The 50+ cars (real, and all in the same yard...I saw pictures) never
    popped up on Craigslist.
    ~E-mail address was gmail...could be from around the world somwewhere
    (although I did cal an AZ # and talk to the guy several times...weird).

I know he said he wa in Geran yat one pint.
    NOW - If this was all a misundertanding, and the person left the country, etc.. I apologize. Get ahold of me and sell me "your" cars - they have never been advertised since.

If it was a weird deal, who cares. I didn't give his name here.
    I didn't give him $.
    I just want to put the pics out there of these REAL cars, and see who owns 'em!

~WOODIE is in one spot and the others all DO seem to be in one person's property.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  2. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

Pics of tsome of the cars where he supposedly got them from a 90 year old guys "collection" in the AZ desert.
    Then stopped returning calls, and pulled the ad for the one he DID have advertised, and never advertised any of the 50 other cars he "bought" on Craigslist, at least.

A lot were junk (but some good 1957 parts cars), but there were some rare items pictured, too.
    I know the cars exist, obviously, I just thinnk it might be a different person who actually OWNS them, and I'd like to try to buy a few of them.

Who really does have the cars? I would like to follow up. Thanks!

1955 Pontiasc wagon (decent!)
    Pontiac AMBULANCE
    EDSEL wagon
    Ford Country Sedan
    1957 Chevy "210" parts car

Attached Files:

3. Dragons

Dragons
    BANNED
    from Topock,AZ

Maybe he just didn't want to deal with you? Or maybe he got so many calls he realised he was selling under the money, and just decided to not return calls and find out what it was REALLY worth. When you list something, and in minutes you get 1000 replies, people tend to figure out it is underpriced.

CL people are weird anyway. :rolleyes:

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dumb question, but do you have any photos that show more of the geography that they're in. What I'm seeing could be anywhere in central Az., but looks somewhat familiar. Can't quite put my finger on it though, seeing some of the surroundings might help.

5. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

Yeah, I know they're all shot with no surrounding cars really shown, etc. And nothing too rare (except the Ambulance). I have a fe more ics, but you get back grouind in almost none.

didn't think anythin of it, especially since I was getting a "preview" of these cars he had just bought, and hadn't even brought out of there yet. No hurry, I though.

Like I said, I just happened to enlarge the picture of the front of the 1955 1955 Pont. Wagon there at the "clearance", and noticed someone else's name and "SOLD TO" on the windshield (not the seller I was taliking about buying it from). Didn't seem so much like his own "find In the desert any more, as much as maybe an estate suction or something. Maybe he didn't even BUY cars at...get me?

As I mentioned, when I asked if that name was his partner he boughtthem with, he said, "no...that's the name they put on the cars I bought" (his name was german, by the way, not "Jim" anybody, so...seemed odd).
    I actually said, "okay", and wanted to see if the deal would actually ever materialize in spite of the contradictions.

He e-mail more times, telling me as soon as he trasnsprted all the cars I'd get to check those new purchases out first.
    E-mails to the address then got an error message when I sent them.
    I let him thin k I was going to buy a few cars, so no...he didn't "decide he didn't weant to sell to me". I don't think you read it, sir. I don't think I was dealing with the owner. But I might have been, who knows. But he sure never ran ads again there.

6. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Can you see the top of the "gallery open" sign?

If I were GUESSING, I might say that is south of Phoenix and Chandler toward Florence... Just a major guess because of the mountains and vegetation,

Kind of looks like northwest Phx toward Wickenburg too... so I guess my guess ain't worth a damn... :D

7. Dragons

Dragons
    BANNED
    from Topock,AZ

I read it just fine. You even say "But I might have been, who knows.",,,,,,,, my point EXACTLY. People change their mind all the time on selling to a certain person, for any number reasons. Hell, maybe he had someone stop by and make him rich. The point is, I don't know, you don't know,,,,,,, only he does. :rolleyes:

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I ran routes for a uniform supply company for many years,some of the background looks similar to an area just NW of Luke AFB try Google maps in that area,also if you could blow up that first picture of the Merc Wagon in the background the sign is for a Gallery business,I tried to use my ZOOM to blow it up but it won't function.If you can read that sign check the Phoenix online yellow pages for an address.

9. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

+34° 5' 7.62", -112° 6' 40.58"

I'm not sure how to put the pics from google earth but there is a shit load of old cars up in Black Canyon City.

10. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

Probally desert valley auto parts

11. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

bttt.
    I looked up the town Nick Flores mentioned, and found a BUNCH of cars on Tara Springs Rd., to the east. On a map/aerial view website. Not Google Earht, but one of those.
    Looked like a junkyard - did some google research. THAT one is tara Springs Auto Wrecking. I remembeber that name from Hewmmings ads.
    Thanks for that - cars were in rows from the aerial pics., so I figured it was a junkyard.
    Desert Valley Auto Party - no.
    The cars I showed were part of a bunch, SUPOSEDLY owned by one person, that the "Craigslist seller" had bought (so the story goes), taken pics of, but had not gotten transported out yet.
    Nothing too rare that peopl might "know" or refcognize...except the Ambulance and the MERC WOODIE. (Which is pobviously in a different location, by a road...which is why I started thinking something weird was going on, when he stopped returning calls once I wanted to come there to SEE the cars! I think it was just a roadside shot of that one car, at least.
    1=whatever the deal is, I'd like to find THAT car.
    2=If there's something weird going on, and that car is not really owned by the person advertising it...I want the owner to know. Hide it!
    ====

Which

12. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

This "Pontiac Ambulance" is actually a 1960 Oldsmobile.

13. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

BTTT.
    You're right... I was looking at a 1957 Pont. ambulance recently for sale, and was just thinking Pontiac, I guess!
    ANyone? Thanks!.

14. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

15. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

16. metalshapes

metalshapes

Why?

It looks like you are the only one who's interested in keeping this Thread going...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.