Register now to get rid of these ads!

problems with hairpins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no6, Nov 4, 2009.

1. I have a speedway 4" dropped axle with the long hairpins. The reason I have the long ones is because I want to run cowl steering and wanted to center the pitman arm in the cowl and line up the heim end of the hairpin with the pitman. The problem is the hairpins go under the frame due to the welded batwings. The top of the pins hit the frame. Question, am I doing something wrong and if not can I slightly bend the hairpins out, they are stainless steel.

2. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Could you post a picture of the set up you have?

Norton

3. Dragons

Dragons
    BANNED
    from Topock,AZ

If you are asking if you can bend out the "tabs" that the clevices on the hairpins bolt to, yes, you can.

4. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Why can't you heat and bent the bat wings, rather than ruining the hairpins?
    BTW pics would help....

5. Dragons

Dragons
    BANNED
    from Topock,AZ

Often no heat is needed, just a small "tweak" on the batwing tabs with a big crescent wrench or a few love taps with a hammer is enough. T-bucket guys do it often.

6. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Fair enough...Chevy guy here typing...<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

7. Dragons

Dragons
    BANNED
    from Topock,AZ

Without pics, I'm sure not saying I know for sure, but it sounds like he bolted the front end together loose. And with the batwings angled in to get "short" radius rods to sit "close" to most early frames, once you bolt the "long" rods on, it just kept going under the frame and thats where we sit.

8. It is a chrome axle so bending the batwings may not be possible, I can get a picture tonight. Speedway said they would work under an A. I have a 32 frame and that may make a difference since it is wider than an A. My other alternative is to send it back and get a axle with perches and seperate batwings but that would be a substancial cost with shipping and extra parts.

9. Are you using radius rods/hairpins as shown on this page of the Speedway Catalog?
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Produ...ext|11/5/2009 7:26:12 AM=radius+rods&deptId=0

As well as the bracket 1st pic, third row?

Note that Speedway is calling their re-pro split wishbones - like the Ford wishbone - split wishbone/radius rods.
    Third pic, 2nd row.

Pics would really help.

If you can use a threaded polyurethane bushing end, they are manufactured in three different angles.
    Straight, 7* and 11*.
    Plain steel and polished stainless.
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mr-Roadster-4-Bar-Rod-Ends,25122.html

Are you using Heim ends?
    If so, the angle shouldn't be so extreme that the pivot capabilites of the Heim are exceeded.

10. I'm using the 36" Curtis style with heim end. I will get a pic when I get home.

11. I have decided to upgrade to a I-beam and batwings, Speedway sent me a return lable and will pay shipping both ways, I must say they could not have been any more helpfull. Shipping will probably be $30 one way. I hated to spend more but what the hey.