Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Eagle Field Fresno Dragways Reunion DRAG RACES!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toymaker, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

[​IMG]

After the successfull event we held on October 10th 2009 (see http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347626 ) it's time to start planning our next event in May/June. We stuck to the original idea of '65 and earlier for the Hot Rod Gathering and will be having the 2nd annual HRG again in the fall. The spring event will remember Fresno Dragways here in Fresno, Ca. that closed in 1973 and with that in mind the Eagle Field Fresno Dragways Reunion will be open to 1973 and earlier vehicles. We will have Stock, Modified, Hot Rod ('48 & earlier), Muscle Car, Gas, HAMB Dragster, Open Comp, Top Eliminator classes and the return of 300' Mini Bike Drags. The only category that will have an elimination ladder is the HAMB Dragsters. Racers will be allowed to race as much as they want and who they want, with winners decided by peoples choice.
    The event will be promoted and produced in the same manner our Hot Rod Gathering was held. Only those in the know will know, $10 will get you in, $10 raffle tickets ($500 prize) will be available again and will still be honored as a general admission ticket, race entry still $20 (in addition to $10 admision), FREE camping, $5 will buy you a dog, chips and a soda, the other GREAT Eagle Field food will be available, DIRT Pits, flag starts and all the other MAGIC we enjoyed in October. I'm looking forward to reuniting with all the volunteers that made the HRG so successfull and hopefully Mark and his Firetruck will be availible.
    The raffle/fund raiser this year (Eagle Field is a non profit orginization listed as the Central California Historical Military Museum) will go towards purchasing our own barriers eliminating the 5 volunteer drivers and donated trucks that took 30 hours each to move the barriers we were so LUCKY to use. The pavement will still be marginal as it was in October BUT we're sure the GOOD TIMES will continue! RJ our MAD MAN Flag Starter has promised to return, the PA system will be improved, more restrooms are going to be ordered, and a dust control product will be sprayed in front of the spectators. Spectators are still advised to bring chairs and easy ups, there is talk of some portable bleachers but we'll have to wait and see if they materialize. There will be handicapped parking nearby but only '73 and earlier vehicles will be allowed near the track.
    Stormy Byrd has vowed to return and I'm working on a match race between Elmer Snyder and his 50's Dragster against a well known Jimmy 6 Dragster a magazine guy owns. If they both accept my invitation it will be a great show.
    With the thought of this event being '73 and earlier it occurred to me that is the Veitnam era and altough Eagle Field is primarily a WWII Museum they recognize and honor all service men/veterans and have a Helicopter that screams the era to me...................... introducing the "Iron Butterfly"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The plan is to use the 'Butterfly as a backdrop for racer registration, consessions or maybe for the DJ.
    We are also looking for honored guest to attend (Blackie Gejian and others) and join fans for breakfast. This is our plan and with the holidays, other events and hot weather around the corner the date is looking like May 22nd,
    So were on another mission at Eagle Field and your input is welcomed and important to us. Let us know your thoughts! Rocky
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  2. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Rocky, thanks for planning another one!!! I am really happy to see free admission for service members. Thank you very much! I for one, can't wait. The central valley needs this....

3. Lancer

Lancer

Oh, man I am ready. Really dig the 73 and older window for racing, that will draw a lot more cars for sure. More photo ops =)

Keep up the good work.

4. Far out!!!!
    Far out!!!
    Far out!!!!!

5. sounds great.... i might have something to run by then!!!

6. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

You're my hero Rocky! Growing up in Merced we were dying for a place to race closer to home. The Chauffeurs will be out in force this year for sure! If there is anything we can do to help let us know.

7. Muttley

Muttley

Already counting the days.

8. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Rock on my friend, rock on!

9. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Awesome. I didn't make it this year, but will pan ahead to race my '64 and a Minibike or two.

10. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

I'm in like Flynn....I know thats what I said last time and didn't make it.....but this time.....

11. Count me in! I think I'll run the '58 this time too. Great time!

12. excellent...I'm in...again

13. Dr. Dave

Dr. Dave
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the "heads up". I will be there! Gotta cheer on Elmer!
    Dr. Dave

14. After the last one I'm hooked see ya there.............Carl

15. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

Good deal. I'll be there. After the good time we had at the first one there's no way I would miss this.

16. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

Wow Rocky! You don't mess around! I anxiously look forward to this event! The hotrod gathering was a breathe of fresh air and I was very impressed with what was your first-time event! You obviously planned your work and worked your plan and that was very apparant on event day! Good job and I know this next event will be a success as well! Good idea on the raffle proceeds going to the barrier fund! Also, good idea on only having old cars near the track, It's pretty cool when it really looks like you are there in '65 or in the dragway reunion case-'73! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

Please everyone support this guy and his event! This is a true grassroots event in the name of fun and if you go I promise that much fun will be had, especially if you bring your car and race it! See yall there.

17. drofdar

drofdar
    from Fresno Ca

Sorry to have missed the October event, but me and Black Betty will be there next time!

18. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

It is going to be great.

19. Idlzruf

Idlzruf

Unfortunatly my cars to new to run but If ya need help count me in.

20. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Slap a '73 nose on it and bring it out :D

21. OK this time no excuses, I will be there..
    No excuses...
    No excuses...
    No excuses...

22. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

Don't feel bad Jim, if I had read the flyer better for the first one I would have known I could have run my Mustang lol....

23. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I would like to thank everyone for their support, you guys & gals ROCK!

24. Idlzruf

Idlzruf

Well its a 73 with a 78 nose and tail... yea yea thats it.:cool:

25. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

You wouldn't have the '78 nose anymore, and I doubt anyone there will know the difference in tail lights :D

26. stormy byrd

stormy byrd

Rocky
    First of all ,Thanks again for the best racing I've done the last 30+ years!

Keep the 1/8 mile format...
    1/4 mile is fine however parts breakage starts to enter & the speeds get up there real quick which may affect your insurance.
    I dont know if I could get my heap stopped up there 1/4 as on a sticky track she runs 7.60@ 184+ and that top end came up really quick.
    As far as timing system go's ...I'd stay with your format. You have hit on something that is "Dramatic" like Rich's deal with the "Hand Drop" Pink's racing.And lets face it ,it's hand drop. It doesnt even begin to compare to your flagb start format.

The flag start deal is VERY old school yet it is very dramatic to the spectator when the starter looks at the driver(s) & knods, they knod back & he jumps 10' in the air!
    It adds excitment to the whole deal.The guy doing the flag strating was un freaking real, it got my heart going & made the whole race like an epic movie.

If you should go to a timing system, do it like they did. The starter had a big button out front that he'd stick the top of the flag in , when he lifted it to flag em off it was a legal race if they didnt break the beams before he lifted.

MPH ? get someone at the top with a radar gun.
    The whole deal is you have a format that while it may be from the past it is a breath of fresh air.
    The Outlaw AA/ Fuel Altered association in the Midwest run 1/8 on their whole circut. The cars are going in the 3's& 4's @ 190+. It is a great format.

I run 1/8 & 1/4 mile. I ran 1/8 mile at Banning , Iwindale & Barona. Irinwdale & Barona are short, very short. I ran a 4.82 @ 146+ at Irwindale. It was there I was trying to get the car stopped after the "Dip" in the left lane and had to make the 90 degree right hand turn off at speed trying to get her stopped & ripped the parachute off going out the gate!

Parts breakage is less common on 1/8 mile. Plus face it, some of the old iron out there is having a great (safe) time, add another 1/8 and you will start seeing problem arise with some of the old street cars.
    My car is NHRA legal & certed to 6.00 seconds.
    You have a great formula just like Pinks, stay with it. It aint NHRA yawn ZZZZZZZZ drag racing!

Rocky you have a formula that is exciting, run it as is , tweak it later if you think it needs tweaking.

The Eagle Field race was a time warp. For the last 30+ years I've got to do what I love & race like my heros I watched at Lions. I'm trying to bring the old history back with my heap. To see Legends like "Unsprung" Elmer up there was wat too bitchin, HE IS HISTORY!

Sam , we need to race. You on the line, me 50' behind, we get the flag & I try and chase you down smokin the tires.
    Your car was the Baddest Ass car out there hands down!. I thought I was back at Lions. I had to stop doing what I was doing on the car & watch you everytime I heard that 55 come to the line.

Rocky, keep your simple format. "Baby steps" you've got a winner and hopefully Joe was happy with the deal as we tried to respect his Air Base.

Thanks to all the people who helped me up there & the whole race Crew, you were GREAT!

StOrMy

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  27. stormy byrd

stormy byrd

StOrMy

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  28. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thanks Stormy, I agree with all your input and also an advocate for 1/8 mile racing. I used to think that 1/8th mile drags was not real Drag Racing but we went to Irwindale a few years ago with our 11 second Comet and shifted into high gear (4spd) just before the finish line. There are some who like all the speed they can get but to me all the action was done (in our car) before the 1/8th mile mark.
    Keep me "on track" because we have something special and I don't want to screw it up:D RJ did a hell of a job and is exciting to watch, the old "school flag on button" is something I need to check on. Thanks again, Rocky

29. Lancer

Lancer

30. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

For those of you that don't know, don't ask! Whew, glad that's over. Interesting read at lunch though;).

Can't we all just get along?