Register now to get rid of these ads!

RARE 1957 Pontiac Safari station wagon...hidden 40+yrs! I"Found"(told by 1 who found)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stationWAGONS, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Carlos Murphy

Carlos Murphy

Damn... I read this and now it has replaced the space in my brain that held one of my sex positions...:(

Black Panther likes this.
  2. rgaller

rgaller

Lol, this is one confusing thread, that's for sure.

3. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

Damn, yeah - it is confusing when these things get written WITH punctuation, in English, etc.. Eh?
    If you're Cheech and Chong, maybe.

4. Include all of his posts and i'll agree 100% .. :D

5. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

What's your problem, then?

6. To add a little more confusion to this post:The production figures I've most often seen quoted for the Transcontinental wagons are 1,894 and the Custom Safari(Nomad style)a mere 1,292.Not sure of the production figures on the Chieftain and Super Chief models.

Supposedly the reason for the Custom Safari's low production figures in 1957(vs.3,760 in 1955 and 4,042 in 1956)were that due the lag in sales that model was dropped about the same time the T/C was introduced.

Probably the rarest model Pontiac wagon of the 1955-1957 years was the 860 series 6 passenger two door wagon;rare enough that John Gunnell could not even find a picture of one for his excellent(and sadly out of print)book,"75 years of Pontiac".

The rarest Safari I've ever seen was a 1956 model from Colorado that was at a Pontiac meet for sale and needing total restoration.Don't know if it was ever documented as real but it had the 316 engine with 2-4 barrels(a rarity in itself)and was standard shift! The ONLY standard shift Safari I have ever seen.Guy was asking 5 grand at the time(around 1995)which was way too much for me.Still kicking myself for passing up that one but then I bought my 57(serial # 444)a year later.That was a great score;I paid less for it than I have been offered for the M-22 4-speed and the 4.56 posi unit.

7. 19transcontinental57

19transcontinental57
    from Iowa

I'm the one who owns this wagon. Yes its for sale. Finally got the motor to turn today. It is numbers matching and very complete. Can send pictures of anything anyone wants to see. Anyone interested give me a call 712-423-0208 anytime. Have clear title in hand.

8. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

9. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

here's mine..it's a fixer upper

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  10. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

pics are messed up today!!!

11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'm one of the wuss' here who thinks in more or less complete sentances and uses punctuation, and thinks maybe the title of the thread has something to do with the content, so I'm confused. I can't figure out if you bought it, you want to buy it, you want to sell it, you're the one who found it, or you just want to spout pointless production figures and impress everyone with your encylopedic knowledge of rare options and which models of grocery getter wagons had Daytona carpet and chrome cargo strips. Uh, nobody cares. Maybe some guys on a Pontiac wagon forum.

I call my car "the roadster", despite some fun with a "what cutsie name should I give it" thread. I sorta liked "36 Special" somebody suggested, and would like to get that lettered on the dash when I have it striped, but I'm saving up for a new grinder to make getto whitewalls and some glitter for the roof of my own wagon. And a thesaurus, so I can keep up here.

Jeez, what an attitude...

12. frankthetank62

frankthetank62

well put flynbrian

13. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

X2................................

14. At least we've established that you're moderately narrow minded...

I believe Brian answered this the best:

I think a lot of people cared...at first...but JEEZ! Nobody cares anymore, you're like a card-carrying Corvette club guy... Furthermore, you clearly didn't even buy the car, because:

Hopefully now that we know it's actually an item for sale, and not a unicorn, someone will buy it, flake the roof purple, name it "Nightshade", and grind out some wide white wall tires...

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yeah, it's pre-ad "buzz" with attitude, and then the acutal pitch by the "title in hand" first posting owner. Isn't that what the classifieds are for? And what happened to an intro from the nubes? This thread should die a slow, agonizing death...

16. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Just got through reading this soap opera, double checked all my speeling, (oops). All I want to know is what color my black car is?

17. That Chieftain 860 was carried into '58 in the US and '60 in Canada. I've seen one photo of a '58, Canadian model since it was in Saskatchewan. '58's become a tough year to find at all. I think those are the only Pontiac 2-door wagons, certainly the only US-made ones.

18. 19transcontinental57

19transcontinental57
    from Iowa

I'm new to this sorry to offend you. Just trying to clear things up since someone else posted my find

19. roadracer

roadracer

wow. just.. wow.

i cant believe i kept reading all the way through.

20. Ditto to that.

21. mrdodge

mrdodge

As Al from Happy Days would say " Yeh yeh yeh yeh........."

22. 19transcontinental57

19transcontinental57
    from Iowa

Some pictures of the trans continental I finally got the engine to turn.Should be long I'll have it running

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i'll try mine again

Attached Files:

• 023.JPG
      023.JPG
      File size:
      138.9 KB
      Views:
    • 026.JPG
      026.JPG
      File size:
      143.9 KB
      Views:
  24. If it was a stick shift 57 Star Chief Safari, it'd be rare (4 made)
    anyways, cool it survived, hope something good happens to it.

I bought a complete running/driving project 57 Star Chief Safari 2dr several years ago because it was real cheap. The owner (Bob) was a guy in his 70's that 'fixed-up' old cars to resell but wasn't aware of this ones rarity.

After a few months of ownership reality hit, I'd never restore it so I put it on eBay, then took a month long vacation in Maui. With every round of Mai Tai's we toasted to Bob.

25. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

I think I can safely say that I'm about to say what most people here want to say."Dude,don't be a dick.". I fully comprehend the English language,use correct punctuation and even make sure to double check my spelling,and I still have to say your opening post left me as confused as a neutered dog trying to clean his nuts.

Now it's clear,but too bad I'm not in to wagons that much.

26. sololobo

sololobo

Thanx for all this cool info! A while back one of our gang posted that he had found a 57 Safari. It was a tudor post wagon, Mr. Smart Guy (me) came back and said, it is not a Safari because it isn't a hardtop type, oops! I then learned all the wagons are Safari's, now here is another revelation, The Transcontinental, cool, it appears these are all four door luxury cruisers, very hip!! It is sorta like the Plymouth Sport wagon, all four doors with the travel mode, i.e. top rack and more luxury appointments inside. I have really enjoyed the learning session in this post. Thanx!! Wagon Freak!! ~Sololobo~

27. I wonder what happened to the wagon?

28. Who doesn't. LOL. Bruce. 001 (8).JPG

29. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Welderup is putting a diesel in it as we speak.:confused: