Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help finding parts for 1955 dodge hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustom77, Oct 31, 2009.

1. kustom77

kustom77

Hello,

I just purchased a 1955 331 dodge hemi from a 2 tons truck with a Clark 4/5 speed manual transmission that both need to be rebuild.
    I don't have casting numbers jet because it is on the way, being shipped overseas.

For the Hemi:
    Can anyone help me out wich parts can be used from other models and makes, do's and don'ts, performance parts etc.

For the Clark trans.:
    type number 250V20
    Can someone get me specs. and where to find parts.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. 31whitey

31whitey

I got a WEIAND drag star 6x2 high rise intake for that motor....

Really nice piece.....

Pm me if your ready for speed stuff.

3. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

4. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I can do some research for you when I get back to work on monday.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The engine is a Dodge truck engine that was based on the Chrysler 331. The major differences were in the heads. It very likely has larger diameter exhaust valve stems that were sodium filled for better cooling, and "rotators" on the valve retainers. Both can be reused if in suitable condition, or may be swapped out for passenger car valve guides, valves, retainers and springs.

It would have had lower compression pistons than the car models as well. "55 cams still had the longer camshaft "snout", but can shortened when the cam is reground, or use a '56 cam for replacement, and the appropriate cam thrust parts.

Truck cranks were at as least as good as car models, if not better, in some applications. Hot Heads, referrenced in previous post is an excellent source of information by accessing their on-line catalog, books they have available, e-mailing or calling them, or all four methods. Also Egge in California is an excellent source of parts. Hot Heads has numerous intake, ignition, water pump etc upgrades.

As for the Clark 5 speed, unless you are using this in a heavy truck, it is best used as boat anchor. It has no practical use as an automobile, much less hot rod, transmission. For transmissions, early Mopar trannies fit, but there are a number of sources for transmission adaptors, most commonly to Chevrolet bell housing bolt patterns, but that allows almost any GM manual or automatic to be utilized.

Best wishes.........

6. kustom77

kustom77

At first thanks for all reactions, I'm trying to find out what's available and where to find it so i can rebuild it with standard or performance stuff and don't have to fabricate all the parts myself.

I got the engine though the hotheads swap site and i've searched the internet for info on dodge truck hemi's but couldn't find a lot of info and nothingon the clark trans. the only site i could find specific parts for the dodge 331 truck hemi is Kanters. But if i understand it wright a lot of parts of the Chrysler 331 hemi can be used?? Such as pistons, '56 cam etc.? This make the part search a lot easyer.

Can you tel me why the Clark trans. is not useble, are the gear ratio's that bad, dubble clutch type or something like that? And I don't have a boat so can't use it as an anchor ;-).

Thanks!

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

My comments about the Clark 5 speed are based on the assumption you plan to install this engine in an automobile (hot rod), not a heavy truck. The Clark 5 speed IS A HEAVY TRUCK transmission. Not only is the transmission very large, it is very heavy, and has very low gear ratios in the lower gears and not all syncromesh. 5th is probably direct ( 1 to 1 ), so once in 5th your could cruise. But there are SO MANY far better choices for a transmission that would serve your purpose.

8. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

Those Clark Transmissions were usually used in two ton and up trucks.

Hnstray is right, get something lighter.

9. George

George

Follow the link that "Minewithnoshine" posted, most all your answers are there.

10. 73RR

73RR

Chrysler (Dodge) never used a 392 in any truck.....And if it is a 1955 then you are a year early for 315 and 354, and 2 years early for the 325...

kustom77, use the ID section in the Hemi Tech to verify what you have before you spend money on parts.

11. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

Performance Automotive Warehouse (PAW) put an early Hemi-specific catalog out this year. You could probably have them ship one out to you.

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a '56 331 truck motor (from a Dodge truck). Could be the same as what you have and I have done a TON of research on these. They are interesting motors. If it's the same as what I have then you will have a 354 style crank (which as we found out is slightly longer than 331 passenger car cranks), ignition is mechanical advance, heads will be different, intake may also be different, will have a later style center sump pan, and uses a later style oil pump. The 331 blocks were essentially 354 castings that were only bored to 331, so they have huge cylinder walls (or so I've come to understand).

As already mentioned, check your numbers!! You can find links to the numbers in the Hemi Tech section. The link is in my signature line if you haven't already been hooked up to it. Just click on the banner...

As for what you can use, pretty much anything from a low-deck Hemi (331's and 354's). Rods, crank, pistons, etc. There ARE some exceptions! You need to be careful about flywheel selection. If you use a later 172T flywheel and matching starter arrangement (like is used in Wilcap's standard block bellhousing transmission adapters) then you should be good for trans adaptation. Yes! You can use the later '56 cams. You will need a '54 to '56 style 331 or 354 cam, that has the snub nose. As mentioned already, be careful about the oil pump. It is different because the rear main cap is a later, beefier style.

13. bigkev56

bigkev56

The 250V20 Trans is direct on 5th, Low is 7.08, 2nd 4.08,3rd 2.37, 4th 1.47, 5th 1.00. Good for a heavy truck, Not good for a Hot Rod. Good luck. BIG KEV.