Register now to get rid of these ads!

Style Advice: 32 5W from 1964?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32ford5, Oct 24, 2009.

1. So I gather your coming down for Bendigo. You missed a pair of old chromies last year :(

2. I like the oval headlights.
    The were made by "NOTEK" and i also have 4 of them i'm maybe using on one of my 1932 projects.
    I believe they came from Germany originally.

3. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

My car's a bit too far forward in my garage to get a good look but I agree, they seem to be a good match for the styling. Thanks for your vote.

4. This was built in 60-65.

Attached Files:

5. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Cool, what are those wheels called?

6. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Wouldn't miss it for the world! Last time I was there was in the mid 80s! This time though I'm going to have something to buy for. All I need is chassis and interior and I have a complete car ready to start.

7. The wheels are Astros from Gardena, California. Some people on this site hate em, but I really like them because no one reproduces them (to my knowledge) I would not have anything else but Astro's on this car since they were always on this car from the beginning. This particualr style was called the 'Custom'. There were some made by Superior that were very similar.
    These were from the original build from the early 60's, here is a scan of some of the original build/mockup photos.

Attached Files:

8. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Cool pics! Love old photos. We had some wheels like that down here in Australia I remember in the 70s and 80s. 5 Spoke or Chrome rims do it for me on this build and I prefer the look of chrome as well. More schparkly.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  9. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Wheels and tyres arrived today. Looks pretty sixties to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now all I need is to build the car to that exact height and I'm a very happy motorist.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  10. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

This was our 425 Buick powered 32.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Cool, I can remember your car from the mags. How much did you have to recess the firewall? What trans did you run?

12. dusty

dusty

Bill,
    While it is great to want to build for "your year", it obviously might not reflect what you like. I did that with my 50 ford. Spent months interviewing people on different forums, etc. You know what you like. You wrote them down. If you built in 64, you might have had the same list. Bottom line... if this is going to be your only older car for a while, build it using the components on your list. It will be unique to you and not look like every other 32 out there. My 32 is being built with the components i love. Flathead power, curved glass gauges, old school tuck and roll interior, 5" channel, 3" chop etc. Might not be HAMB friendly or cruise night friendly but its what puts a huge smile on my face everytime I walk in the door of the garage. In my book, thats what the hobby is all about. Good luck with your build.
    dusty

13. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thanks Dusty and that's great advice. It happens that I've always had a fascination with the 60s anyway. I love metallics, "racey" coupes and the only thing I'm probably going to "sacrifice" is disc brakes (they are pretty much essential down here if you want to actually drive your car) and guards. We have to cover the tyres 15 dgrees below horizontal and 15 degrees in front of vertical. I'll probably go bobbed rears and cycle guards which may not be strictly "correct" but like you, I have things that I like too. I thionk it will be a cool car when I'm finished

I also have some ideas on how to make it unique but I've been thinking that I would not be upset at all if I ended up with a standard hot street coupe with a 60s vibe. I'd also like to go with curved lens gauges even though they are a bit early for my theme.

I did a lot of research on here and it seems that several people have commented that it's easier to narrow it down to a year as opposed to going with a general 60s quest because of the many changes that occurred to rods between 61 and 69 so 1964 being the year I was born allows me to focus on research within a very narrow period but I'm researching through all the 60s magazines and really liking what I'm seeing. I've even seen a few cars with disc brakes and of course there's the Earhart's.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  14. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Spotted Don Phuto's red coupe at So-Cal coupes gallery at http://www.so-calspeedshop.com/coupes_gallery.html and I really like this approach. Channeled only enough to aid stance but not so much as to hide the chassis reveal. Not a huge fan of red cars but I could certainly do one in yellow.

[​IMG]