Register now to get rid of these ads!

To Cut up or not

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brac, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Brac

Brac
    from Mandan ND

I have what I think is a 1930 Dodge Bros. 2 door sedan. It's in pretty good shape, doors, fenders, body and all. My problem is that I haven't seen many around and I don't know if I should cut it up for my rat rod or leave it and find myself a model a 2 door sedan instead. I know I've never seen one in person, but I have seen pictures of some. I need some input. Should I be the guy to cut it up and have the only one like it, or build something everyone else has?:confused:

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

3. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

ok..you first

4. Brac

Brac
    from Mandan ND

OK, wow you guys waste no time on this. Sorry about the "R" word, I'll have to remember that! Just confused, my uncle says no, but my dad raised me to do what I want(generally speaking).

5. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Chop it up and build a hotrod. That's what we do here.

6. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Haha, its a dodge, cut the crap outa it

7. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

Amen brotha!

8. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

cut it and put a hemi in it

9. banditomerc

banditomerc

If Dodge is what you really want to fix up...go for it,if not..pass it on!

10. Its yours, cut it if you want to but do a good job and make it safe, not some crappy ass "rat rod".Man, when will this garbage rod trend ever end?

11. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

Cut it up.If you make it a R....d I wont tell anyone.

12. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

Fire up the gas ax! Just make sure you don't put a 350/350 in it. NEVER!! I'm thinking a hemi for that one!

13. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

amen brother

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cut, and early Hemi w/a 4-71.

15. Ghost28

Ghost28

How much cutting we talkin about?

16. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1 I couldn't have said it better myself.

I'll sure be glad when this "hey look how I fucked this old car up" thing passes and those guys start building decent rods.

Sure go ahead and chop it if you want to, I'd venture that the only rigs that shouldn't be chopped are ones that are so perfect as they stand that chopping messes them up or such a rare body style that they should be passed on to the restorers and preserved. The Dodge doesn't meet either of those criteria s. I would say, put some effort in the car and build it right. Safe and sanitary instead of another crude crud rod.

Finishing off the welds, slicking out the body and making things right doesn't cost a lot of cash, it just mostly costs time.

You don't need fancy and expensive paint, an exotic or hard to get engine or a UPS load of trick parts to have a nice car. But you do need to put some real thought in it and stick with a real plan.

Maybe a few inches less chop than originally planned, a bit less radical suspension, a real hotrod stance in stead of seeing how close to ground you can get it. Things that will make guys say that it is one slick little hotrod for years to come.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

18. madpole

madpole

if you are going to create something better out of it, go for it. i wouldn't over channel over chop it. but i don't think you should do that to a model A either, even if it is more common.

19. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Another dammmm rrrraaa....rrrooooo....ddddd They suck so bad I can't even say it.

20. BISHOP

BISHOP

Right On.

21. krag4201

krag4201

My idea for it would be a mild chop, leaving it full fendered, dump the hood, with Halibrand cheater slicks and skinny bias plies on a set of swap meet wheels if a early Hemi is too expensive I would do up a cross/rammed wedge motor or maybe a 361 poly out of a late fifties early sixties Mopar I've seen the intakes on Ebay and 383/ 440's can be found in rural salvage yards pretty cheap. You gotta do a push button torqueflite though!

22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Brac. Make it a hot rod, especially if it's not a complete car with trim and all. If it is complete, it might be a good canidate for a (hate using this word here...shhhhh) restoration. Those Dodges had good strong body construction...no wood, I'm pretty sure. And just so you know, if it is in fact a 1930 model, be aware that that was the first year that Chrysler stopped calling them "Dodge Brothers"...just "Dodge". I agree with the rest who are telling you to use some restraint in chopping and channeling...especially the channel-job...to the bottom of the frame is just right. Also, I agree that it'd be great to use an engine from a Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth, but a hemi is gonna cost ya. Smaller V-8 is fine with plenty of power. You might even consider a later (50's) in-line flathead six from Plymouth or Dodge...economical to build and run, yet different with a neat sound, and more power than you might think. Clifford and others have hop-up parts for them. Good-luck with whatever you decide. - Rick

23. texas hotrodder

texas hotrodder
    BANNED
    from Texas

Cut it up and make it whatever you want it to be. A nice hot rod would be the way to go.

24. shfifty five

shfifty five
    from New Jersey

Chop it up like you worked at a sushi bar, and please dont use a beer can as an overflow for you radiator.