Register now to get rid of these ads!

Catalina 8 lug nightmare

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roadracer, Oct 31, 2009.

1. roadracer

roadracer

It's that time of year(!) again when I have to go looking for more drums for my 8 lug '64 catalina! I recently drove it out to LA from Atlanta and have been using it as my daily driver, but apparently the drums should have been turned before the shop in GA fitted the new shoes cos they are now cracked from over heating.

Noone will turn the drums though; they are under CA tolerances.

So, the inevitable long and painful search begins. Tried the usual places online (more to try on monday when they open) but this might be the time to convert to 5 lug. I know 5 lug drums are a lot easier to find and will fit just fine if you get the right ones (I did this conversion before on a 64 wagon).

Questions:

1. Since I'm in LA (SFValley) anyone know of any good local brake shops that might have sources of old stuff or willing to work on it? I am here without workshop or tools until my house in GA sells.... :(
    2. If i convert to 5 lug, where's a really cheap place to get steel wheels (junk yards?) until I'm rich again :D

2. thunderplex

thunderplex

I have GMC/Chevy truck wheels on my 1961 Safari. They are 5 on 5 x 7, and they fit under the car. As you know, there isn't a lot of room in the rear of 1961/2 Pontiac big cars.

3. I had 5x5 pattern 15x7 '79 Buick rims on the back of a '60 Pontiac, with 235/75R15 tires. They'd rub on bumps if you loaded the back seat up with a bunch of people, but I only did that a couple of times. I think you can make most any 5x5 pattern RWD GM wheel work - full size GM cars through '76, certain models and wagons through '89, and 1/2 ton 2WD Chevy/GMC pickups from '72-up all have them. So you should be able to find them most anywhere. Drums are going to be like 58-64 Pont/Olds in the rear, up front may be limited to 63-64 Pontiac.

4. twofosho

twofosho

I researched this online a while back when I was looking for fronts to go with the rears I have on a 67 GP rear end. I found there was a guy reproducing or going to reproduce the '65 up fronts. If that is indeed the case, and they are available, that might be a viable option. I think all you would need to do is run the later wider shoes.

5. az67goat

az67goat
    from Mesa, AZ

Search Phoenix az craigslist. I'm pretty sure a guy has a set on there right now.;)

6. roadracer

roadracer

ah, craigslist, i never thought of looking there. thanks.

7. roadracer

roadracer

8. roadracer

roadracer

thanks. the biggest problem is that every store i visit do not want to "think". if the computer says no, they wont dig any deeper. However, I will continue the search on monday, i have some good leads and will post my findings..

9. contact steve barcak
    i think his user name is apple krate

he's the pontiac guy, out of arizona.

10. jobob

jobob

Steve IS PONTIACHEAVEN.ORG

11. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

You may want to try and PM "carmak" here on the HAMB. I think he has a set of the 8lug hubs and drums.

12. 61bone

61bone

I have a couple sets of long fins.

13. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

If I were looking for another set of 8 lugs I'd go with the new ones from Arrowhead Components - they're very good quality, and finding a good set of originals that 1) don't have terminal corrosion between the iron liners and aluminum drum and 2) have enough meat left on the liners is getting pretty difficult.

14. justintt

justintt
    from Butler, PA

15. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

theres a guy that lives here in Atlanta thats got some of those cars. I'll ask him if he's got any drums.

16. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Damn bro. Good luck finding those drums. We've missed you at breakfast.

17. ponchopio

ponchopio

Hello guys. I'm new to the HAMB, but loving every minute of it. A local guy mentioned that there were some questions about Pontiac 8 lugs and their availability on the HAMB. My name is John and I own Arrowhead Components. We manufacture brand new 8 lug drums for 1960 through 1968 Pontiacs. As somebody earlier mentioned, they are expensive as they are so expensive to manufacture but they are very very nice. Obviously I am biased, but it never seemed like a good idea to reline (i.e. epoxy new liners) into a 40 year old drum that is designed to stop a 4,000lb+ car. In addition, the prices I've seen are nearly he same as new and lastly, I have confirmation that one service that relines actually had issues with the liner "walking out" of the drum. Just do your homework before you spend your money. None of us has a lot of it nowadays.

Stu, good to see you here!!! I'm still learning my way around but this board and the classifieds are the best.

If anybody has any questions, just let me know. I'm going to poke around here to see if there is an option for the HAMB to let me know if there are any responses to my post. If you don't hear back from me right away, it means I haven't figured it out yet. :)>

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

John

www.fullsizepontiacs.com
    www.arrowheadcomponentsinc.com

18. roadracer

roadracer

ok, the car is finally back on the road this week with nice new brakes thanks to John @ arrowheadcomponents.

I have to say; these are beautiful. I never imagined they were going to be like this; very nice. Admittedly I got a front set that had been painted, turned, etc, but after seeing worn and corroded drums for the last few years these are a nice change :)

Yeah, expensive, but if you going to be cheap, brakes isn't the place. lol

19. thunderplex

thunderplex

...if anybody is interested, I have a small fin set of 8 lug wheels for sale. I do not have the beauty rings or center caps. contact me by private message or email.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  20. twotoejoe

twotoejoe

For that price I would go ahead a buy a new one and not worry about problems with a reline. A relined aluminum brake drum to me about equals a recapped tire. I don't need the worry over the few bucks difference in price; I value my life more than that!

21. roadracer

roadracer