Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '65 Dodge Altered Wheelbase

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gpsflyer, Oct 11, 2009.

1. gpsflyer

gpsflyer
    from Co Sprgs

Ha! Thanks, I wanted to paint the car white.... alot less bodywork required. He had to have a black car though. The amount of blocking on the quarters was amazing. The front fenders were rough too. Theres still some small waves if you know where to look, but all in all, it looks pretty good for a car painted in a 2 car garage!

Once all of the sheetmetal work was done, the insides of the quarters, and fenders were sprayed with a 2 part bedliner type coating. Its about 1/8 thick, and really stiffens up the sheetmetal. All in the hopes of keeping that bodywork looking good....

2. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Thanks alot for bringing the history of your build over to the H.A.M.B!!

Great build. Interesting idea on the front framerails too!! Good way to buy the right ride height. Did you have the final front and rear measurements with regards to how far you pushed it?? Looks like fourteen in the back, but maybe seven inches or so in the front??

Dale Snoke

3. marfen

marfen
    from sask

Nice, nice car. With the straight axle route it looks like one can't get the full 10" relocation in the frt. as one can with the relocated k/frame/long torsion bar route. On mine the frt tires barely clear the frt edge of the fender wheel opening. Sure looks the rear got the whole 15". Original afx pilots figured out how to get another 1" for 16" relocation on the dodges. What's this car weigh?

4. gpsflyer

gpsflyer
    from Co Sprgs

Its a true 10" in the front, and 15" in the rear. Not sure on the weight yet, haven't had it on a scale. The car is probably going to be fairly heavy. Not much weight has been shed from a stock '65. Its all steel, and will have a steel hood. We bought a glass hood with the Hemi scoop, but I don't want to cut a hole in that for the stacks. I have the hood that came off the car, that will probably get a hole for the induction. The dash is a small example of the weight, its all steel, on the original cars they used a glass dash, with no radio hole, glovebox door, or defrost vents. Instead of trying to find a fiberglass dash, we welded up the steel one and made it look shaved, like the real glass one.

We also ran into some last minute problems with the steel bumpers. Initially we were going to use glass bumpers painted with "chrome" paint. We went thru 3 different companys paints, and they all looked like crap. I ended up having the originals rechromed, and the front wouldnt fit. I forgot about the clearance notches in the stock fenders, for where the bumper wraps around. When we relocated the front wheelwells, it got rid of the notches at the front edges for the bumper. I had to trim the crap out of the ends of the bumper to make it fit....

I should note that its a pretty fitting end for an altered wheelbase car to end up living in Troy MI, where the originals were made 45 years ago!

5. poly1963

poly1963

that is one beautiful machine awsome job !!!!!!!!!!

6. dart165

dart165

beautiful work!

7. the HEMI KID

the HEMI KID
    from kentucky

Awesome ...Awesome ...Awesome, Did I mention Awesome! FWIW, here's something your father might be interested in. In the MOPAR COLLECTOR'S GUIDE magazine, April 09 issue, page 20, there's a A 100 DISC BRAKE CONVERSION KIT by Contact Engineered Components, Inc., P.O. BOX 841, Vernon, Ct. 06066, or call 860-872-7046. He probably wants to keep the factory look though. ...AF/X's turn my Crank, Love'm, like they say, you-da-man!

8. gpsflyer

gpsflyer
    from Co Sprgs

Heres a couple more pics....... The intake in the pics is actually Kinsler Fuel Injections first test unit, the one that ends up on the car for good won't be powdercoated. Still need to get the doorpanels, and headliner installed, and finish the wiring under the dash.

Pic of the old man test fitting the two intake manifolds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. captmullette

captmullette

Great job beautiful paint!!!!!

10. the axles used on the awb cars were not narrowed.they used a-100 van axles because they had different shock mounts.look at mr.norms head on.notice how wide it is.look carefully at the top of the tire to the fender.i have gone 189mph on one of these axles they work great.set it up at 13degrees laid back

11. if you use the original the original springs they wont fit.you need to go to a trailer place and buy some springs a little shorterand narrower.it takes a little more work but the job looks cleaner.the springs to get are the ones the same size as the frame.you can experiment with the amount of springs to get the right ride height.drill the frame and weld in a tube to support the rear hanger.a kit from mopar works great

12. gpsflyer

gpsflyer
    from Co Sprgs

Im not sure I understand....

The springs that are on the car are the originals off of the A100, and they fit fine. ???

13. SOHC427

SOHC427

Unreal! Great work, and a killer ride!

14. Large_911

Large_911

I am speechless! Unreal job!! This thread is killer.

15. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Wow that thing kicks ass.

16. gpsflyer

gpsflyer
    from Co Sprgs

Thanks man! I see your just up the road from me. Its cool to see all the car guys coming out of the woodwork here in CO. I was starting to get worried that I was the only one!

17. SOHC427

SOHC427

There are a bunch of us, up here. I like anything cool, and your ride is way nice. Come on up, if time allows! Eric

18. M.Edell

M.Edell

Amazing Job! Man that Looks Like Fun!

19. gpsflyer

gpsflyer
    from Co Sprgs

Thanks! We haven't got to the fun part yet..... its still not running!

20. greazy john

greazy john

cool ass ride ... love the altered mopar with a HEMI great work

21. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

That thing totally pegs the badassometer.

22. violet springs

violet springs

great build, thanks for sharing.

23. 65COMET

65COMET

The car has turned out BEAUTIFUL!!! I have never heard or read why the sedan doors?I'm sure it has been addressed before somewhere but the old brain has lost the info. GREAT car!!! ROY.

24. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

excellent build.Wish it was around here to go and see.

25. fiftyfiveford

fiftyfiveford

Awesome car! Thanks for posting

26. gpsflyer

gpsflyer
    from Co Sprgs

The hardtop AWB cars used sedan doors because of the lightweight glass. The thin windows needed to be supported.

27. HitIt

HitIt

28. gpsflyer

gpsflyer
    from Co Sprgs

Not much new to report on the Dodge, other than the injection unit has been put on the back burner for awhile..... Times are tough!

A crossram & carbs ended up on the car for the time being, so it can be driven this summer. Since the car will have carbs, a hood was found and painted to match.

Seems to be pretty healthy, no real test miles yet, but plenty of hole-shots!

Heres a few cell phone pics, sorry about the quality.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. gpsflyer

gpsflyer
    from Co Sprgs

We got the car out to the Chrysler Museum the other night for a show they had, snapped a couple of pics.

Ended up having to change the rear wheels, as the torq thrusts put the tires a little too close to the springs. The front springs may get a little re-arching, as it sat down an inch or two.

It definately won't be winning any slalom competitions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

i like the steelies better in the back. im not a huge fan of mopar but you have made me happy in the pants. what a great build!!!