Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just Bought a 1952 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lorax54, Oct 30, 2009.

1. lorax54

lorax54
    from Denton, TX

So, here are a couple pics of my new project. I am a motorcycle guy, but can't fit Momma and the new baby on my chopper. Gotta have a family car. Now, I don't know s**t about these cars. But I kinda know what I want. Need some help from you to point me in the right direction.

Airbags and steel rims with whitewalls are the first thing. Will do body work, interior, drivetrain later. The thing is...I don't know where to start. What are common mods for these cars? What's it take to get it to lay on the ground? What's the easiest way to lower...no airbags? Cut the springs? Are there aftermarket springs I should be looking at?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Awesome score man. I miss my old one (had a 51 sports coupe).
    Anyways, if you still have the 216 and original tranny, I would just throw it on a set of blocks and buy or cut the springs. You really want to get that torque tube and old rear end out of there and if you are going invest in making a four link for air, you may as well update the drivetrain. It is all in how much time you have. I got mine pretty low with blocks and heated springs (not my first choice but it worked)
    The good thing is that a ton of people make stuff for those cars 49-54 body chevys. Good luck and if you have any specific questions, I may be able to help, PM me if you want. Keep us up on the progress man.

3. R1FIGHTER

R1FIGHTER

I saw that on ebay and thought it was a pretty darn good deal and solid for a michigan car.

Great score for sure.

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

I would start by making sure it is a realliable car!!!

5. atomickustom

atomickustom

Are you aiming for daily transportation, or just something do drive now and then? If you want to drive it every single day and rely upon it you will probably end up replacing the motor at some point down the road.
    Personally, I'd start by replacing those wheels and tires and then drive the snot out of it for a while until you figure out exactly what you want to do to it. No need to jump into anything too quickly.

Honestly, if you just hang out here on the HAMB for a while and do some searches you will find a TON of information about anything and everything you need to know about these cars.

6. FatDave

FatDave

Make sure it runs and stops properly, then do wheels & tires... lower it for cheap by using blocks or cutting springs... and then drive it. Maybe make some arrangements to paint the roof some color that's complimentary to the body color... I'd probably go with white... maybe a flake.

But the first thing I'D do is take that license plate off the front, and probably the sun visor, while I was at it.

Those are all easy things that don't have to cost an arm and a leg to do.

7. BUDDY HOLLY

BUDDY HOLLY

Blocks in the rear on mine and cut the springs in the front

Attached Files:

8. atomickustom

atomickustom

Nice! What size are those wheels and tires? (I'm guessing 15x5 wheels but not sure on the tires?)

I'll also go a second vote for painting the roof cream (not bright white) IF you don't like the way it looks all one color.
    I actually prefer them one-tone, but two tones can look nice if done in colors that go well together.

9. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

BUDDY HOLLY - That 3/4 shot of your Chevy has been stuck in my head since the first time I saw it. Perfection...

More pix??

Lorax... welcome to the club man. Ditch those wheels quick!

You can follow along with the build of my '52 here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/tags.php?tag=story
    - Joe

10. aldixie

aldixie

Nice car to start a project with. Easiet way to lower is using blocks in the rear and cut springs on the front.

I'm now running Jaguar IFS with Bags and traingulated 4 bar rear with air ride bag over shocks.

11. BUDDY HOLLY

BUDDY HOLLY

In the process of giving it a nose job and a butt job and shaving the door handles and i've put a new white leather interior in it and i have the engine bay tore apart to detail it

Attached Files: