Register now to get rid of these ads!

stuck engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustymetal, Oct 27, 2009.

1. rustymetal

rustymetal

got a 430 mercury engine that is stuck,wondering what i could full the cly with for the best results.
    been stuck for a few years but no water got in it, don,t want to take it apart if i can get away with out it.
    thanks

2. shemp

shemp
    Alliance Vendor

Try a combination of diesel and atf. Let is set for a few days, then work it back and forth till it breaks loose.

Sure, if you have money coming out the wazoo you can rebuild it. It's not a small block Chevy and will cost some heavy bread to build.

What do you have to loose by trying?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  3. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

You can TRY to put Automatic Transmission Fluid into the cylinders, let it sit for a couple weeks, then try to turn it over with a breaker bar, but it would probably be a good idea to just rebuild it...

4. rustymetal

rustymetal

hi shemp
    wondering what atf stands for
    thanks

5. Boozer

Boozer

Marvel Mystery Oil? never used it myself, but lots of people swear by it...

6. Automatic Transmission Fluid. There's a thread on here the also mentions a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. That's what I'm trying on my 413 Chrysler.

7. artiep

artiep

Marvel Mystery Oil is the way to go. Give it some time to work then try to turn it.

8. jambottle

jambottle

find the cylinder that has just started down and lossen the rockers on it the remove all the plugs and break the porslen out of one and weld or braze in a good grease fitting. now put that plug in the cylinder with the rockers lossened and start filling that cylinder with grease with a GOOD lever operated gun.a GOOD gun will put out ,up to 15000 pounds per square inch and it that does not turn the engine over,you better dump it over the the wharf.

9. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

10. rustymetal

rustymetal

holy shit i can,t throw over the wharf i payed too much for it and it is to heavy.
    besides a friend told me that they were a fast engine i wonder

11. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

ATF & Marvel seems to work the best but everyone has their special mix and favorite brand . Just fill and keep the cylinders full for 2-3 weeks to see what happens .
    Keep that engine !

RetroJim

12. theres so many mythtical `fixes` for a stuck engine....the one we`ve just done we just stripped it down...simple as that...it came apart easier than i thought it would...afterall your not gonna `un-stick it` and drive it away are you.

13. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

14. rustymetal

rustymetal

that sounds pretty good to me unstick and drive away

15. budd

budd

if you pull the plugs can you look inside at the cylinder walls?, if there is any rust then you would be better off taking it apart, even rolling it over would score the pistons and walls, i have a little flashlight that has a flexable end small enough to slip right inside a plug hole, i have pulled old engines out of the woods in NS and spent a couple weeks letting it soak and then getting it turning over and then fireing it up, all a waste of time, still had to tear it down and rebuild it because it smoked,.

16. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

You can put some Iodine in each cylinder as well. Let it sit for a couple of weeks and then slowly rock it free so you down break a ring. What else have I heard, Coke (As mentioned), 3 In 1 Oil, 50 /50 mix of Muriatic acid and water. (don't leave this in any longer then about 2 hrs. It will dissolve aluminum pistons.) TOT

17. My best guess would be what everyone else is saying, Try ATF or marvel mystery, if that dosent work, then a rebuild should be in order.

18. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

One of the old time mechanics told me a long time ago that rubbing alcohol works the best at getting stuck engines freed up. He used it frequently on old tractors that had been setting outside for years.

19. RacerRick

RacerRick

Any penetrating oil will work on a mildly stuck engine. I have a real bad $100 454 I am working on and I am going to have to get medieval on its ass!

I just want the crank and rods out anyways. The block would need 3 sleeves.

20. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

Used Mystery Oil in My Pontiac engine, Let set for two weeks and used a breaker bar on the front nut to turn it over untill it would spin easily. Worked for me.

21. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I really wish the " un-stick it " and drive away would really work ! Sure would save us all a ton of money at the machine shop !

RetroJim

22. 1959cac

1959cac

Wow, what ingenuity.

23. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

by the tiime you put all that crap in your engine and wait for it to work you could have the engine apart and back together, atleast take it down and work the cylinder walls and a set of rings.

24. manyolcars

manyolcars

IF you could get it to turn freely, then what?

I hope you would not be so stupid as to start it and let it run!

That would be damaging to your engine.
    The only smart thing is to disasemble the engine and rebuild it properly

25. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

Ya know I listen to all these comments. But if you are Broke and need to use an old motor and take a chance. then you do what you have to do. But I think Before starting it. I think of a friend bought one of those PRE Oiler systems. Where a pump pumps oil thru all the passages. I believe that is the only way to even begin to think of starting it. Since if you get it UN STUCK then it is still DRY. Because from what I hear you are not considering tearing it down and doing it the right way. . So there is my comment to consider. Oil to the right places.

26. manyolcars

manyolcars

all the seals will be bad and gaskets will leak
    do it right

if you are poor, just overhaul it instead of rebuilding it
    I have a 292 that was stuck with 52,000 miles on it.
    I overhauled it nine years ago and its running fine, not smoking

27. blt2go

blt2go

unstick and go has worked for me in the past. now where you go is completely up to the motor gods. on the farm we had moline tractors on propane that inevitably would lose an exhaust flap (or the coffee can would blow off) and you would get a siezed cylinder or two. i can verify the diesel, penetrating oil, and grease zerk welded into a spark plug can and will unstick some of the stuckest sons of guns i've seen, and sometimes even plow 1,000 more acres before any more attention. we had one until last year that had been unstuck 4 or 5 times in it's life and never had a head off. when it left the farm i unstuck it for the last time got it fired and the guy drove it 11 miles home. i don't like to perpetuate such behavior but i am in the process of unsticking a '45 chevy, and yes if all goes well i will drive it until i get time to tear it down or it breaks and makes me take the time. that said, there is no better way than the right way.

28. havi

havi

This is a 430 MEL! Think about that for a minute. It's not like you can screw it up, and go get another at the store. Do it right. At the very least, remove the intake and heads, and get a good look. Also drain the oil, see how much water comes pouring out.