Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest SONIC founder has died RIP troy smith

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod-Linkin, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Dammit that sucks. RIP Mr. Troy Smith. We have a shit load of Sonics here in Bako and we have a friday night year round power-parker-old-man-stand-around show every friday night. I might have to cruise through there on friday night to see how everyones holding up.-Weeks

2. Muttley

Muttley

I just had dinner there Tuesday night. :cool: Sounds like your friend was very generous with his wealth. :cool: :cool:

3. sonic rocks!
    your buddy was a genius.
    good quality
    cheap prices
    awesome cruising mecca.
    may he rest in peace.

4. whid

whid

sorry for your loss,we got one a few miles from the house,they do a cruise every fri night thru the summer.think i'll hit it this morn for a blt toaster on the way to work...........................dave

5. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Huge fan of SONIC! RIP burgermeister.

6. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

7. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

my buddy that illustrated the sonics for troy his name is jim post, and he designed the sonic menus that you posted. he gave me a bunch a few years ago. i framed them and gave them to the managers locally.

your pics are cool.i believe that pic is in stillwater okla,am i right?

8. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Sonic's have just starting appearing in Michigan a couple of years ago. Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. My condolences.:(

Megan at a Sonic on one of our road trips eating so as not to get anything on Big Olds new interior. Good memories.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  10. Sorry to hear about your loss, I will keep his family, and you, in my prayers.

11. VonDad

VonDad

I love the Sonic burgers and the drinks and all of it.

However, I hate the dumbass guys in the commercials. If I ever see them in my Sonic, I'm gonna kick the dumb one in the nuts...

I do like the ones with the lady gettin the best of her loser husband though..

RIP and thanks for a great place for a burger..

VonDad

12. Our Sonic is on the main drag here in Suwanee, GA. Lots of competition, but it's holding its own due to great food and history.
    R.I.P Troy Smith

13. raven

raven

I worked for a food photographer here in town that shot all the point of sale images of food for their menus.
    I ate Sonic food at home for a long time after that gig...fringe benefits, you know...
    r

14. mow too much

mow too much

[​IMG]Sonic was always on the nightly cruise route growing up and I still hit them quiet often, theres something about sitting in your car and enjoying a good burger. Its been the nightly gathering spot for kids for over 50 years, Sonic its Americas Drive-in.;) Thanks TROY SMITH R.I.P.

15. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Sorry to hear about his passing. They just opened one in Belividere a couple of months ago and they seem to be doing well.

I flipped burgers and busted suds at one in TX back when I was in college... not a bad place to work.

RIP Mr. Smith

16. sololobo

sololobo

RiP Troy Smith and a big "Thank You" for the last of the drive-inn type food joint. I remember only having them in Kansas and Oklahoma and being thrilled when they came our way. The deep fried dill pickles were a trippy product and a hint to the creative mind that spawned this excellent chain. The creation of a hotrod haven has been a god send to our hobby. ~Sololobo~

17. Buildy

Buildy

Some of the best times in my life was when I was a kid cruising my hopped up 64 Vette and hanging out at Sonic in Lubbock TX.

RIP Mr. Smith.

18. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

My wife and I went for floats this morning, and they didn't even know he had died, you think if you work for a place and the founder dies, they would let everyone know. Actually they didn't even know who he was or his name. The sonic here is not so good as far as service and everything. I remember about eight years ago they used to have the car hops on roller skates and everything. now they won't even let you use a tray

19. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

sounds like a franchise owner that doesn't know his business.

share this history with them
    http://www.news-star.com/news/x1520367104/Sonic-founder-Troy-Smith-dead-at-87

20. Reverborama

Reverborama
    from Minnesota

They opened a Sonic up here a year or two ago. How is it? I couldn't tell you. It's always so jammed whenever I go by there that I can't get in!

21. I know we have at least one HAMBer that owns a Sonic. I think I will have to pay my respects today and hit one of ours in town.

Weird side note, the Sonic I stop at is brand new and the first in the US to have some indoor seating as well as the car spots. It is a new prototype restaurant.

22. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

we have seating,but it's outdoors under the canopy, the indoor seating seems like it would ruin it.

23. Chainshot

Chainshot

I had many relatives in Tecumsa, OK. When visiting, we would drive up to the big town of Shawnee. This was back in the 80's. I remember one rest. that had huge burgers in town. Still served on glass plates, etc...I can't remember the name, but it was great. Our Sonic is/has been going strong for many years. Best root beer around.

24. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Sorry to hear that. I'm heading there now for a Rootbeer Float.

25. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Are you too young to remember the Hidy Ho drive ins?

26. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey HOT ROD...sorry adout your bud, the man created something great for america. his memory lives own my friend. SONIC is my no.1 spot to hang, and watch other rides...POP.

27. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

hamburger king???

28. Gator

Gator

Our local Sonic has got to be the worst in the chain. They regularly run out of ice cream and other food/ingredients, and if you ever try and order anything that's currently an advertised special you can fucking forget it.

What's sad is it's still the best burger in town.

29. Buildy

Buildy

"Are you too young to remember the Hidy Ho drive ins?"

Never heard of them-I was in the Air Force down in Lubbock in the late 70s.

There were two Sonics in Lubbock but everyone cruised the one I went to.

30. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

They advertised Sonic on TV around my parts for the LONGEST time before they finally built one, we're talking at least 8 years! Last year we finally got one somewhat local (about 35 minutes from my house) and I stop by there every so often for a treat. Might have to work it into my evening tonight :rolleyes:

I don't miss them on road trips though as the picture above will attest to! Just don't back in, right Denise? ;) :D