Register now to get rid of these ads!

finned aluminum valve covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by k.c., Oct 28, 2009.

1. k.c.

k.c.

How do you keep/get the paint off the top of the fins?

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

wipe it off with a rag and some mineral spirits while the paint is still tacky

or a small block of wood with some fine sand paper after it has cured real good..

3. Spray, then wipe the fins clean while the paint is still damp.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You could use chapstick and roll it on the top of the fins. I have not had much luck but other have with that method. I put blue tape on and used a razor blade to trim the excess off. My valve covers came out great I think!

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I use a DA sander. if I wanted more than a brushed finish I'd use a block with sandpaper.

6. Get 1/4" masking tape then trim it with an exacto knife or razor blade, iv'e been working on 2 this afternoon. Trying to remove after painting i always slop some solvent on the painted areas i don't want to remove and screw that up.

7. k.c.

k.c.

Thanks guys! I should be able to work somethin out with all those suggestions.

8. 5window

5window

I used 3/4" blue masking tape so I could cover several fin tops at once, then trimmed the tape down with a #11 (pointed) scalpel blade. Painted the valleys and peeled off the tape.

9. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

I sand the fin tops after paint dries.

10. Richard Head

Richard Head

I've used 1/8" 3M fineline tape a couple of times. It was alot easier than trying to remove catalyzed paint afterward.

Dave

11. I tape around the perimeter only, then paint and wipe the fins. I like the look of a smoother transition of the paint (more feathered) than the taping provides, plus it's a lot less work. Just make sure your rag is damp with thinner/mineral spirits or whatever and keep the rag wad smooth and tight like tennis ball.

12. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

I polished the fins beforehand and just waited for the paint to completely dry. It chips right off the polished portions with only a fingernail yet still sticks to the roughed up portion.