Register now to get rid of these ads!

OD Green or Military Color Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SinastirSpeedShop, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Post up pictures of rods painted in OD Green or other military colors. I am Prior USAF I am painting my 54 5 window OD green and I wanted to see everyone else paint jobs...

2. OD green is cool. i used to use it on a few of the scale models i build, but the brand i use stopped making it. not sure why.

3. Yes it is. I like the color. I am also looking for door art. Star with U.S. Air Force above it...

4. My '56 Plymouth Suburban 2-dr wagon. Currently OD green primer/sealer with a semi-flat, and a white top. Haven't decided if I'm keeping this color or not...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

6. That is what I am talking about... Very nice ride

7. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

Does this count?:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

8. I like the old and new on that Jeep

9. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

No Pics to show, but...
    Did some restorations on WWII Army Jeeps a number of years ago. The company that had all the correct paints available, and still does is called Randolph Coatings, (they do have a website). I recall that to get the proper OD color & finish, it HAD to be sprayed over Red Oxide primer-ONLY. Anyplace there was gray primer showing, the color went off strange and didn't match the rest of it. Spotted in those places with Red Oxide primer, re-shot it and it looked great. The color we used was called "Lusterless Olive Drab", and there were a several versions of it, depending on the year of usage...Absolutely The FLATTEST finish I've ever seen...thought you might be interested.

EW

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here, this will help you with the actual codes themselves so you know what code to give your painter...

http://www.colorserver.net/

11. Thank you for the information. How did you guys repaint the lettering on the old jeeps... I was thinking of having a sticker shop print me out a vinyl cutout and paint over it...

12. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

We used paper stencils, and flat white paint. We were trying to reproduce what was original to the jeep, which I found when stripping the hood down, the original star and numbers, letters etc. The owner cut a paper stencil, if I recall, and we sprayed it out, which was how it was done originally-either that, or it would have been brushed over a stencil, but a stencil was used. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a site, or if someone was reproducing them. The Gov wasn't too concerned about looks on their equipment, especially during the war, and all it was for was tracking and identification, so it was kinda well, sloppy, really.

EW

13. hoof22 & scooter

Thank you for the information

14. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Attached Files:

15. spitfire thanks for the picture, also really nice build.

16. skullhat

skullhat

some of those military finishes are so rough, they feel like 220 grit paper. they take finger prints easlily as well

we just did a prodject for the gov and used a ppg flat olive. ppg has abouot 30 versions of mil spec green. a few can be made in thier high end stuff, clv single.

the color came out like 32 spitfires car, a real nice flat olive. it dried quick, and filled scratches well. and covered in one coat. wasnt any harder than spraying primer. only drawback, costs...with reducer and hardner it was close to 500 bucks for a gallon. got a coulpe gallons sittni around in fact

there is a brand that we used before that worked well and was cheap, about 30 bucks a gallon... had a bird on the label, cant recall the name at the moment, but no, not glasso. they got a supplier in LA though.
    any desire and i'll fish out the name of the co.

deft epoxy was at one time a good choice as well, havent used any since we painted a bunch of tow missle launchers for the 1st gulf war

skull

17. Ramblur

Ramblur

18. aceuh

aceuh

19. Not a hot hod by any means, but od to the core! Almost ten years working here & there. I'm starting to see the light.

Attached Files:

20. fishslayer82

fishslayer82

I just bought this T about 4 weeks ago from a HAMBwe." Im not sure how long it will stay Olive Drab though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  21. heres some scale models.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

22. squirrel

squirrel

the more military vehicles I see on Ft Huachuca, and old army electronics I look at, etc. the more convinced I am that OD is a concept, not a color.

I have a couple 50s military vehicle bodies laying in the yard....some original paint showing....

23. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

If you're using the star, You should use U.S.A.A.F. instead of Air Force.

24. sensor

sensor

25. cookiecrumb753

cookiecrumb753

Resotred a 55 CJ5 but ended up being a M38A1 korean war jeep and that OD was at the very bottom of a teal coat, two red coats, a black and a blue coat of paint. That lead OD is the toughest stuff ever applied to a piece of metal. I think some new truck bed liners are weaker and easier to get off than that tihs was!

26. squirrel

squirrel

years ago I worked at a machine shop for a while.....one of our customers was restoring a GPW and I got to glass bead a lot of the script parts. took forever to get all those layers of old army paint off them.

27. I'm prior Army, we called it Olive Drab.

28. Spity

Spity

Not mine but its worthy of being mentioned here. Super badass.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. ls1wagon

ls1wagon
    from dallas

Wow that nova is bad ass.