Register now to get rid of these ads!

Positraction question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cktasto, Oct 26, 2009.

1. cktasto

cktasto

I did a search and gave up after the 7th page...I have an Olds rear end (72 Cutlass?) and I've got the car up on jacks. When I turn one wheel (left rear) the other turns in the opposite direction. Is this a limited slip differential?
    I've got a bead on a chevy 12 bolt out of a camaro for good price but if I dont need it....:)

thanks

Charlie

2. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

No,,it's an "Open" rear end,,a one wheel peel. If they both turn in the same direction then it's a posi or locker. That particular rear end should be an 8.2 but because of the year it may be an 8.5. Either way they had lighter duty parts than the Chevy did. The Camaro 12 bolt (if it is) will be a leaf spring rear where the Gutlass will be a coil like in the same year Chevelle.

3. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

they should both go the same direction if posi

4. cktasto

cktasto

thanks guys!

5. SquigMachine

SquigMachine

thats weird my trucks 12 bolt when in the air spins one tire one way an the other in the opposite direction....but there are 2 solid blacklines coming out of my garage and going up my street alittle bit

weird

6. cktasto

cktasto

DUDE! you had to throw a wrench into the works!

7. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

LOL, an open diff can still send power to both wheels as long as they both have traction, but if one comes loose, all the power goes up in smoke and the wheel with traction is worthless.

8. SquigMachine

SquigMachine

its weird mine does that... but when i popped the cover it didnt look like a peg legger