Register now to get rid of these ads!

'Nother girl lookin to learn!

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Jordster, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Jordster

Jordster

Hullo! Been lurking the HAMB for a few weeks now as searches for cars/advice/car parts have oft-times directed me to posts here. Seems like a swell place, good group of folks.

Just bought my first car, having her shipped; hasn't arrived yet but I'm already in love with her and gave her a name ("Purdy", cuz she's so purdy!!). I *think* she may have belonged to someone on these boards a few years back.

Used to help my pop work on the family cars (both 70s VW bugs), and been a motorcycle gear-head since my teens, so not unfamiliar with getting dirty and dinged up. Don't know alot about these cars but looking forward to learning as much as I can and getting sweet Purdy roadworthy and customized. She'll be an ongoing tinkering project once she's a driver, as time and budget allows.

On that note, anyone know a spot I can pick up an exhaust system (manifold to muffler) for a '50 Special? Doesn't have to be fancy, just functional.

Thanks all, looking forward to the community here! :)

2. cretin

cretin

Welcome to the HAMB, what are the plans for "Purdy"?

3. 440shawn

440shawn

Welcome from Illinois. Hope you enjoy your car.

4. Jordster

Jordster

Removal of some, but not all, of the trim; shaved door and trunk handles, keyless lock/entry; deep, dark indigo blue paint job and super-dark rear window tint to keep that jetback curve nice and clean; re-upholstery and new carpet; she's got some floorpan probs so cleaning away the debris and have new floorpans put in...

Those're the major ones that stick in my head to do with her, anything else I'll sort out as I go, I s'pose.

When I first started looking at these cars the chopped-top thing looked really cool, but at this point I can't bear the idea of cutting on her. ;)

5. fat57

fat57

G day from down under good luck with your build
    mark

6. 1fineline

1fineline

Build er the way you want er, aint no rules other than have fun with it! welcome from Minnesota!

7. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Hi
    I might be able to point some direction on 50's buick parts. I will check for a manifold.
    Wil
    www.sakowskimotors.com

8. Jordi, some of us Tampa boys get our exhaust from a guy in Webster. He is about a mile north of swap meet. If not ask Nads for a shop in O-town...

9. Mopar34

Mopar34

Jordi said
    She looks real nice as is, I wouldn't chop it. I have a 57 Olds and the factory lines are sweet. Your Buick looks good in it's factory style as well.

10. welcome,sure you know there,s a few real savvy girls on this website and one or two car crazy guys willing to help anyone with a query.It always amazes me to see girls into hotrods and customs.Girls I know think theyre rubbish!Don,t be embarassed to ask,nothing is too dumb

11. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

12. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

welcome and good luck with "purdy"

13. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey JORDSTER...welcome. i'll tell U one thing right now, those old buicks ride better than anything on the road today. U will be pleasinly surprised! and the constant slight roar of that streight 8 engine and flowmaster trans. is destinct. that old buick weighs more than most mobile homes HA! girl i think U picked the perfect car too customize! U will simply love her. call me POP...or the old FART!

14. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

PURDY cool Ride.....have fun with it.

15. Brandi

Brandi

Welcome! Check out the Ladies of the HAMB group. Plenty of smart, car crazy chicks.

16. 1lowbuick

1lowbuick

oldbuickparts.com order their catalog they have a lot of sh#t. their web site sucks

good luck finding a exhaust manifold. their out their but range from $350 to $400 beacuse they crack and everyone needs them. i got lucky i found one at a buick swap meet for $250. i've never seen a complete exhaust system of any kind. the mufflers you can still get. the best you can do is make your own 2" exhaust (thats what i did) or take the old one to a muffler shop and have them make one

good luck
    DAN

www.myspace.com/1lowbuick

17. caddy-man

caddy-man

Hi! I have a Buick Super sedanette I found a lot of stuff on E-BAY. If it is the straight 8 your local muffler shop. Caddy-man

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it just me or does any one else see it as funny that most all 'Intros' get 4 or 5 answers but the dribbling messes come out of the walls when a real living breathing woman (Not one that you breath through a valve to inflate) turns up?

Having said that, maybe I shouldn't say this?

Hello and welcome to the HAMB,

dont mind me, I'm a little strange......:p:rolleyes:

Doc.

19. Geri

Geri

Hi Jordi (might your Beautiful Buick also be the "Jordster'?)
    i love them too.
    I don't get in here much myself,happened to see your post, your not alone. welcome.
    GeriLynn

20. Jordster

Jordster

Caddy-Man, 1lowbuick: local muffler shop can hook me up? That's brilliant!! Elegantly simple, I love it! I guess I'm just thinking too hard about it. And yup, straight 8. I'll definitely check that out when I have her in hand.

1lowbuick: Yah, had come across that site in my research, agreed the site sux donkey nutz tho they appear to have a great deal of stock. I'll look into ordering the catalog tho, thanks! Makes me think about when my dad would get the J.C. Whitney.

Mopar34: Yup, the chop would be something I'd consider to emulate the sedanette lines (on the more bulbous specials or roadmasters)...but she's already got those lines, so no chop for Purdy.

Thanks all!!

21. Yep, that's purdy nifty :D
    Oh yea, Welcome to the HAMB.

22. carmanss

carmanss
    from Austin

Welcome to the HAMB from Texas....Nice looking ride that "purdy"!!!

23. lugnutz9032

lugnutz9032
    from Palatka,Fl

Welcome from Palatka.:D