Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for a Chevy 235 engine assembly manual

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dmac620, Oct 26, 2009.

1. dmac620

dmac620

I am going to swap out the 216 to a full pressure 235 in my 1950 Chevy. I have located a 235 that has been disassembled and machined already. The head is already assembled and ready to bolt on. It has all of the new parts that are needed for the rebuild. This is going to be my first engine rebuild so I was looking for an assembly manual for the 235. I can't seem to find one mentioned here on the HAMB or through a regular interenet site. Can anyone recommend a good assembly manual that will walk me through the rebuild step-by-step (lots of pictures would be an added bonus)

Thanks,
    Chris

2. squirrel

squirrel

the factory shop manual is a good start. I've found ratty old manuals for late 50s trucks on epay pretty cheap....

you could also see what you can find on http://tocmp.com/

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

...and here's a tip about cylinder head installation. 235s don't use head locating dowels, which makes lowering that heavy chunk of iron onto the deck in exactly the right spot a pain in the ass. Take two long bolts, cut the hex heads off, and grind a slot in the end of each bolt that a screwdriver will work in to turn them in/out of the block and temporarily install them at diagonal corners.

4. Nick79

Nick79
    from Austin, TX

+1 on that tip. I did that with mine and it worked great.

The old manuals really aren't that great about giving you the best pics and info. Lots of missing torque specs, etc. I used a combination of a 50s Chiltons and the Motors series. Available on the gay.

5. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego