Register now to get rid of these ads!

'56 Chevy Wagon Exhaust Questions...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dandingo, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Dandingo

Dandingo

So I was planning on running dual exhaust in my '56 150 Wagon that ran out just behind the rear wheels. These weren't made for dual exhaust from the factory. FYI, I'm running Thorley headers into 2.5" exhaust that ends with Brockman Mellowtones. When I talked to my exhaust shop, who I respect for their opinion, they informed me that the car is too low in the rear and that any decent sized bump would pretty much crimp my exhaust. The car is lowered about 1.5" in the rear and I love how the car sits. So what he did was mount the mufflers as far back as possible and dumped the exhaust just before the rear end, pointing the tips directly down. I asked him if he could point them straight back but he said since they're right up on the rear end, it'll be just as loud.

For all you wagoneers out there, you know how loud these metal boxes can be. I love my exhaust but it resonates really bad. What I want to know is would it be beneficial to bring the glasspacks toward the front of the car about 1-2 feet and exit the exhaust just before the rear tires, kinda old school 'Nascar' style? Would this quiet it down some since the exhaust wouldn't be pointed directly down at the road?

I believe it is so loud because the exhaust bounces off the road and right back into the car. I know I might sound like I'm bitching but everytime I drive my car it feels like I have a friggin' ear infection when I get out. Thanks for all your input! Here's a picture of how the car sits...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. squirrel

squirrel

a picture or two of the underside of the car, behind the axle, might help.

I ran two 3" tailpipes over the axle in my 55 hardtop, they go under the gas tank, and straight out the back. My car might sit up just a bit higher than yours, but the tailpipes have never hit anything, and I drive my car a lot, everywhere.

[​IMG]

I made the full exhaust system from 3" pipe and U bends.

[​IMG]
    (old picture)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I would go ahead and run them over the rear and straight out the back,(It wont be as loud as out the side)it doesnt look that low anyway.
    He probably just didnt want to fool with running them on out.
    And no running them out in front of the rear wheels would put the pipes closer to the ground than if you ran them out the back because you would have to run them under the frame there and the frame is a lot lower at that point than it is behind the rear tire.
    Most people go over the rearend then straight back/underneath the frame rail.

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I see that you couldnt run yours under the frame because your springs have been moved in. (squirrel)

5. Bear in mind that if you run them strsaight out the rear that you may get reversion and fumes entering the cabin from the tailgate.

This is because the slab sided rear creates a vacuum and draws the fumes into the interior.

On the twin system models the factory placed the dual outlets just under the rear bumper pointing out /away from the body ata 45 deg angle to ut the fumes into the slipstream and not into the vaccum at the rear of the car.

Just my exp....hope it helps.

Rat

6. Dandingo

Dandingo

Thanks for the info and pictures. How much is it lowered in the rear? Did you use blocks? It's hard to see in the picture...

7. squirrel

squirrel

I made some new springs and mounts for it, that's all custom work. I dont know how much lower it might sit from stock, that's why I included a side view so you can judge.

Interesting explanation about the exhaust fumes...I do get them, I though it was mostly because of all the leaks in the body...and I had thought about moving the tailpipes out to the corners, but it's just another idea on my long list of things to do before I die.

A wagon is indeed more likely to get exhaust fumes, they are really hard to seal up..

8. Dandingo

Dandingo

Yours does look a bit higher than mine but it looks great. I'm going to think about raising it another 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch so that I can get the exhaust out the back. I may take it to another exhaust shop for a second opinion as well. Thanks again.

9. Ramblur

Ramblur

IMO I'd check with a few more muffler shops too. I've been thru a few
    configurations on my 57 wagon over the years. When I first got it they
    went straight out the back under the bumper and especially with the
    wagon drew the fumes back inside. Next couple exited under the car
    before the rear axle with turn downs.I was a kid so the noise didn't bother
    me near as much. But the law didn't like them and ALL the dust and dirt
    they kicked up ended up on the tailgate and rear window.My last and best
    setup was as you thought,out the side behind the rear axle.BUT mine is
    like Squirrels having the spring moved under the frame rail and so its not
    an apples apples comparison. I'd shoot for a out the side,after the rear axle.
    [​IMG]

10. A Rodder

A Rodder

From experience with my 57 wagon. I first had the exhaust ran just like the wagon pictured above but they were angled rearward more towards the bumper but out just a touch. Drove it to crescent city sea cruise in CA and the fumes were terrible. When we got home I took it back to the shop and had them move forward and pitched out just behind the tires. More like the one above in a sense but about nine inches closer to the rear tire and pitched out just a touch. If you want a pic I can get one. I just don't have it on this computer. Joe

11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

It looks like you could start over the rearend then just pitch it sideways like a 45 going between the spring and frame to bring it out rite behind the tire.
    That shouldnt take but some short peices of pipe to come off what is already there,just some tricky bends I guess.
    On my second 55, a guy put some pipes on for me and on one side he had it thrown out a little far to where it was under the leaf spring and it was fine till I jacked the car up under the frame with a floor jack,the spring came down on the pipe and broke the weld off the pipe hanger:rolleyes:
    Had to take it back.
    So dont let them run it under the spring rite there,unless your rearend is hanging down as far as it can go.

12. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The exhaust on my Nomad is 23 years old. It runs out the back, but out to the corners of the rear bumper. Every once in awhile the tips scrape on steep driveways, but no crimps ever. And your wagon is not that much lower than mine. A good muffler shop can easily tuck the exhaust up under so it doesn't scrape or crimp.
    [​IMG]

13. For those who dont know...the wagon is a different car which has the spare tirewell where a sedans tank would go, then the wagon tank is tucked up in between the rear end and the spare tire well. This tank is sometimes literally within an inch or two of the rear end Making things pretty tight for these cars. You actually have to drop the rear end if you want to remove the tank!!!
    Also, in case you didn't know There is an indentation in the fuel tank for the exhaust pipe to pass by. The 55-56 had single exhaust. the 57 had a duel exhaust option, therefore there were two notches in the 57 tank. you might want to consider finding one of these.
    The only other option would be running the pipes up into the cargo area behind the rear seat , and across the cargo floor....

14. Dandingo

Dandingo

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I do want them to run out at an angle just behind the rear wheels but like I said, my exhaust guy is telling me that the car is too low in the rear and any bump will crimp the exhaust. I'm going to take it to another shop this week to get a second opinion...

15. Dandingo

Dandingo

Thanks Alfred! So the '57 tank would work because it has cutouts for dual exhaust? I found one on Ebay but I don't see where the cutouts are...

16. wild32hotrod

wild32hotrod

I've got a 55 wagon thats been lowered 4.5" in the rear I know the gas tank is the problem for the wagons I run mine out the side in front of the wheels. don't like it but that what I did. now you can run the exhaust down under the axle but you have too have a quick disconnect on the pipes, if its low enough you will not see the pipes hanging down friend of mine did this looks good. that what I'm going to do when I got the money good luck

17. RodP

RodP

Here's mine. I used some short glasspacks, ran the pipes straight out the back. Maybe you could find an old school muffler shop that knows how it was done back when things weren't so high tech. The mufflers on mine sit up close to the floor and the noise I get is the drumming sound between the muffler and the floor pan. Very little muffler noise comes into the car from the exhaust tips. I don't have much insulation or interior so it may sound a bit noisy to some people. I'm deaf anyway.
    I owned another 56 wagon with the same set up but it had a custom interior with padded carpet and insulation behind all the panels. It was very quiet.
    Here's a couple of shots of my friend Dimas and his wife doing the set up on my 56. It was a tight fit but they got it done. He has been doing mufflers for me since the seventies.
    RodP

Attached Files:

18. A Rodder

A Rodder

Is he saying the pipe will hit the ground because your car is low or is he saying the pipe will crimp because it will get pinched by your cars suspension crushing it somehow?

19. Dandingo

Dandingo

Wow, that looks great. And your car is pretty much an exact replica of mine! So what did your exhaust guy do exactly? We're going to insulate the hell out of it so that should help.

He's saying exactly what you said at the end, that since it is lowered the pipes'll be crimped by the cars' suspension crushing it.

20. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Dan,
    My 55 wagon had 3 inch blocks in the back and I ran the pipes all the way out the back. Make sure you run them out the corners of the bumpers or else you will be smelling a lot of exhaust if you ever decide to drive with the back window open. Believe me, this is very important, do no run straight out the back or you will smell a lot of exhaust. Go to Swenny's on sepulveda. They did my 55 and the 59, ran both all the way out to the corners of the bumpers, with no worries of hitting. They will do you right. That thing looks good man. Call me if you have any other questions I would be stoked to help. . .

21. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

one more thing, do not dump them short or you will smell a lot of exhaust all the time, it is not like a sedan where the trunk is separate more or less...call me dude, I will give you all I learned on mine.

22. RodP

RodP

23. Dandingo

Dandingo

Shaun! How's everything up north man? You know I've always thought about going to Sweeney's but always end up going back to Supreme in Lomita. I'm gonna give them a call this week and have them take a look. I'm glad I started this thread because I would've never thought that straight out the back would cause exhaust fumes in the cab. That's a great thing to know. Take care man. Congrats on the kid, too!

24. Dandingo

Dandingo

Cool man, I'll give you a call this week...