Register now to get rid of these ads!

History WW II car to truck conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson hot rod, Oct 25, 2009.

1. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

Looking for pics of WWII car to truck "gas ration" conversions. Anyone build a hot rod out of one? I was told they were called "war babies". I cant seem to find much info on the net. Thinkin of building one and any info/pics or web sites would be cool. Ken.

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Well...I met HAMBer Edmurder here on the HAMB, cause he wanted to take his 31 Chevy coupe, which was turned into one of these abortions, and try to return it to a normal looking car. I believe his new HAMB name is "burger". Try PMing him, and see if he's got pics. I might have some in my "vast amount" of archives, but it would take days to find them.
    Most of the time, these 'creations' were built by farmers, or kids with no dough, so the quality of workmanship, and style, is about a big ZERO.
    There might have been some nice ones done, so prove me wrong.

3. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Years ago a friend had a 1935 Ford Station wagon that had been converted into a pickup for use in a Victory Garden. wood cut a lot easier than steel and it was a good looking car, I'm sure soneone converted it back to a Station Wagon buy now.

5. skidsteer

skidsteer

I've seen two -- one about a month ago on eBay, and one in a local scrap yard, both '38 Plymouths. They're pretty basic, they just cut off the body behind the front seat, welded on some kind of back window panel to fill in that gap, then put a pickup box behind that. They usually still had the original car rear fenders. Also, Plymouth dealers actually had available an optional pickup box in 1937, but that was before WWII. PM me, and I'll send you a pic next time I find one.

6. There was a guy out in the country in so oregon that had a 1940 dodge sedan that was cut down into a PU cab with a wood mill saw attached to the rear of the frame :eek:

7. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

send a PM to Povertyflats. He had a roadster that was made into a pickup. I bet he still has photos. He is a good fella and happy to help, so don't be bashful

9. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

I just picked up what I think is a '30 Murray bodied Fordor that had the back half cut off years ago. The original work looks old enough to be WWII vintage. The back of the "cab" was filled in with 1x6 T&G pine (really nice clear pine) and some sheet metal was nailed on to fill in the top. They used copious amounts of black mastic to seal the top.

When I picked it up someone had recently used OSB to build something like a delivery body on the back. What a waste of perfectly good building materials, and time.

The guy selling the car also had a 28/28 fordor that had been cut at the B pillars but at least was fitted with an A pickup bed.

Whoever originally drove the car I have must have been thin as a twig. There was not much room between the steering wheel and the 1" thick seat back they had installed.

Personally I'd categorize these conversions as purely function and need. They go right along with the Doddle Bug tractors people would hack together. Just making do with what you've got to get by. A nice example of each should be in a museum somewhere. They're fine examples of ingenuity and gaming the system during the depression/war years.

10. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

Somewhat related, a buddy has what is left of a Nash factory wrecker, that became a farm truck, and now his. says "Nash service" on the side with the logo and a phone number.
    Supposedely they made them for their dealers. has some crazy timken rearend in it.

11. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here is one I saw a few month back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chrisp, 2Blue2, Hdonlybob and 3 others like this.
  12. I really like that

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The Coupe Pickup was offered by several makers in the US from the mid 30s-WWII.
    Usually a coupe body with a small pickup bed slid into the trunk opening, sometimes even being a two-piece telescoping unit that disappeared after use into the trunk and the lid could then be lowered. The homemade coupe, etc. pickups were usually much simpler and much much cruder with the rear panels being torched or axed apart and often a crude wooden bed made and bolted in.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  14. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

That's not bad. Sort of the Chevy Avalanche of it time. The stock tailgate doesn't really work though. I wonder how a unibody CC A pick up would look. Might need to stretch the cab a bit.

15. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Yeah, thats thing is slick! Looks like a sport coupe ute! I even like the cut down model A wheels. Just needs to be dropped 2-3 inches and a rubber rake and that thing would be insane. John

16. 067chevy

067chevy

Here's the part they cut off to make a pickup out of a coupe.[​IMG]

17. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Here is a 31 I sold recently to new Hamber Jim Galli in NV. It was a WWII conversion and used as a farm truck. <center>
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    </center> I think he has it for sale in the hamb classifieds.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    dana barlow likes this.
  18. I've had several. One 30 the body was cut off at the B-posts and a factory bed put on, my buddy had one that they cut the back out and tacked it on and put a wood bed with factory fenders on it, and the one junkyard had a couple more. One the body had fallen apart and I got some of the pieces and used them to cob up another cab which I then sold.

19. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Was it cut with an axe? :eek:

That would make a nice loveseat.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

there used to be several of them around the town I live in when I was growing up. One was a 30/31 Model A coupe that had what looked like a Model T pickup box in the back. the couple that had it drove it regularly up into the mid 60's although I don't think I ever put groceries in it when I worked as a boxboy back then. It was pretty well done as I remember from looking at it a couple of times when it was sitting in town.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

21. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

I saw this one on ebay a few years ago,not sure if its what you were looking for
    Steve

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Hdonlybob, volvobrynk and kiwijeff like this.
  22. Probably hammer and chisel-really.

23. V4

V4

24. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

V4 That is a kool car . I like the way the wood fits the car, the vices, and the tire chains. Looks like it is ready to head to the job site.

25. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...nt.php?attachmentid=794916&stc=1&d=1256530018

Thanks for all the pics guys! Thats exactly what i was looking for. I have always liked those car/trucks for some reason but don't ask me what it is,lol. Anyway I have been kickin the idea around in my head to build one of those out of my Hudson. No!! I'm not gonna do any cutting on the body, just make it fit where the trunk lid goes. It would be a bolt in only so I can always put the lid back on. And its not gonna be as crude as some of the original ones. Just an idea, love it or hate it let me know what you think. Ok let me have it!! Ken.
    Oh and thats an old glass school bus stop light i was gonna use for a third brake light.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I'm sure you can build a nice pick-up out of a coupe, as the first pics show. The others are more inline with those old conversions, ugly, but functional, and crude.
    Build something more on the style of the Aussie Utes, and you'll have a nice, unique pick-up.

27. retromotors

retromotors

I LOVE that!

Air up the tires, half-ass clean the windows, toss the dogs in the back and it's good to go!:D

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Theres one in a junk yard near us ,,its an early 50's Chevy

not so much 'war era' but still like a wooden kinda bed stuffed in teh back

29. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scott Hall in Wichita Ks. has a 29 Hudson truck that was a 4 door car . It has a wood flat bed . The wood spoke wheels have been replaced with steel wheels. Stacks out of ford driveshaft tubes with the ball at the top. Neat ride