Register now to get rid of these ads!

In your mind, build it for me.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doc Squat, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Wanting to build a really nasty 350 Chevy. What would you use for pistons, heads, carbs ,ect? Lets see what you would come up with.

2. Have you listened to the Thumper series cams from Comp Cams? Check out their sight.
    The Big Mutha Thumpa Cam sounds wicked

3. I'm busy fixin my daughters car right now but I'll get something dreamed up and posted later tonight !! Oh by the way how much dough do we get to spend ?? >>>>.

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You first need to determine how the engine is gonna be used, whether it's gonna be a relatively low rpm "stump puller" with loads of torque down low, or a high revving, big cammed, race-only screamer. Do you care if the power-curve peaks within a narrow rpm range?...or do you want a fairly "flat" power-curve throughout the entire rpm range? Did you imagine it super-charged?...or maybe turbo-charged? Either of these is going to help deliver higher torque and horsepower regardless of the rpm's the engine is run at. I am not an engine genius...and I'm not an expert on which brands of parts are best, or particular cam specs, etc., (I'll leave that to others) but I know that if that engine is going to be under high stress either from extremely high compression, or running at insane rpm's, the internal components are gonna have to be really strong...and that means forged crank, rods, and pistons. After a certain point, even a stock iron block isn't gonna hold up Are you gonna want to run it on pump gas?...or are you going to use race-gas only? How much money do you want to spend? There are so many variables. We need to know more about the planned budget, and the application. I could assume that you want to use a stock block, run highest pump gas you can find, and not get too crazy with titanium keepers, etc., but I don't want to assume. As far as cams, the cam manufacturers are probably the best at determining the type you need for your purpose. Roller cams and roller rockers are gonna help to free up some h.p. Special dry lube coatings on piston skirts, etc. will help, as will heat-barrier coatings on parts exposed to the combustion chamber. Lots of stuff to consider. -- Rick

5. Prostreet32

Prostreet32
    from Indy

Forged Lunati Crank, Forged rods, TRW. Forged pistons, Lunati Cam, Edelbrock Intake, Holley carbs,...you choose the bore and stroke,..cam specs...and cfm.flow.

6. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I'd build a 377 with cheap cast iron aftermarket cylinder heads and a performer RPM. Not sure on cam, though.

7. Big Blue Car

Big Blue Car
    from Orlando FL

This is almost impossiable to answer your question. But, I will give it a try (and when we say nasty I think of a race motor that will make a good bit over 500hp). Bottom end, I would run forged crank, H beam rods and then SRP or Ross forged pistons with a farily high CR. Then run either a solid flat tappet cam or even a roller (my last SBC had a solid cam, with a 588 lift an 280 @ .005). For heads get something good, AFR, Dart or even trickflow. Then single plane Victor intake with a good size holley DP carb. Don't forget to have a good exhaust to get the spent gasses out...

Good Luck there will be a lot of suggestions.

8. wow,, this is open ended... I'm going to say Brodix 8B block, brodix 18 degree spread port heads, 13.5 mahle pistons, cola super ultralite crank, jet ti rods, topped off with a BDS efi converted hilborn manifold,,, all this on methanol run by either autronic or motec engine management.

9. 38plymouth

38plymouth

I did as you asked and it blew up. Now I got headache. Done with helping people......build your own motor

10. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Thanks for all the help. I'm thinking street with high horse output on a modest budget. Cast block, aluminum heads and 2 4s. Something that will be strong leaving the line with a great hole shot. Not to concerned with high speed top end.
    ___________________________________________________________________--
    Like I told the kid, "Your music's not too loud, it's just like OKC, it sucks!"

11. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

High horse output on a modest budget... Hmmmm.

Now it gets interesting!