Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rain, and a fogged windshield.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by upperwhitetrash, Oct 24, 2009.

1. upperwhitetrash

upperwhitetrash

Decided to drive my truck to a jobsite yesterday, Shortly after, the rain started, Foggy window and all. Not one of my better decisions. So i'm debating on installing the works on it.Back in the day of building Dunebuggies, we use to fabricacte a hand operated wiper. Only used to clear mud from the window, but effective. Thinking about a simular settup for my 54 GMC. Yeah I could install a factory type settup.... But how fun is that? However, I will install a heater core and some type of blower unit, not stock, but something created in my mind. Still in the works, but gonna route ducts to defrost the window as well. Once this starts taking shape i'll start posting some pics. Anyone ever made their own hand operated wiper? Guess it's not rocket science, But not as simple as the flat window Buggies. If so, lets see some pics!!

2. buickbelle

buickbelle

This is just a FYI, been having the same problems with the 66, turns out the fan motor was unplugged (ooooooops), Mike just found that out last weekend during the Late Show (to which he felt really stupid) Remember the Stray Kat Krawl here in Wichita in September? Well it was raining during that krawl and the window of the car was fogging over badly. Being a huge fan of Rain-x I noticed that there was a fairly new item on the market, anti-fog Rain-X that comes in towelettes. While I was checkin in to the show, Mike took the car over to K-Mart and found this stuff. You wipe it on then use a soft cloth to wipe it off, IT WORKED!!!! The window didn't fog over for the rest of the Krawl!!! (also works as a great wheel shiner at a show!!!)

Don't know if this will help you, but I know it sure worked for us.

Carrie

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  3. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

Good luck with the fix.

The wipes work great.

Remember....cool is cool, but safety keeps you and others around longer!

4. For windshield wipers think about newer SUV's that have a wiper on the back, it's a compact self contained unit.

For a heater in my mud bogger I used one from a school bus, talk about a blow job....

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Rain-X Anti-Fog, for bathroom mirrors, car windshields, etc., has actually been available almost as long as Rain-X itself. Of, course, the handy moist towellettes are a new product.

6. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

wax the window, then the defogger over it... done deal, i even do it in my newer cars

7. golgotha

golgotha

In the old days, truck drivers use to cut a big onion in half and put it up on the dash to un-fog the windshield. I guess they didn't worry about how they smelled. As for heat, they had gasoline burning heaters that sat on the floor boards.

Real safe.:):):)

8. thewrongshop

thewrongshop
    from NewJerZ

Shaving cream.... try it on the Mirror . next time before you hit the shower.
    Smear about a shot glass full it on and with a cloth rub it until the surface is clean/clear.
    I use it in my coupe this time of the year in jerZ and it smells morebetter than an Onion

9. upperwhitetrash

upperwhitetrash

Well, I went out was was playin with the truck today..... I think i'm gonna bite the bullet on the wipers, The fabrication involved in that type of settup on this truck and getting it to work properly just isny worth the headache to build. I'll just find a 12 conversion wiper motor and install all the hardware. (I repair and build things all week, on the weekends I just wanna play) As for the heater though.... I'm still gonna do that, run my heater hoses into a new heater core, box it, duct it, route it where I need. My truck is GUTTED so this will be a breeze. If weekends were only 2 days longer!!! (doesnt hurt to dream! Meanwhile, I'll just dress warmer and grab some rain-x for the rain and the fogging, Just for fun though I will try other things... Except that onion trick, dont know if I could hack the smell. Thanks for all the input!!!!!!!

10. if you run across AQUAPEL it sure beats rainx hands down. lasts the whole season, put it on a clean dry windshield and side glass. I drove past a semi in heavy rain and could see the tires turning as I drove thru the spray. blew me away