Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumbest thing an "EXPERT" has said about your ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SOHC427, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spook498

spook498

I get that one every now and then as well.... My answer to that is the sticker below my trunk lock.

"I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you!"

2. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

"There is no way you drove that here." Really? I don't remember pushing it, but i'm pretty f-ing sure I did stop and put gas in it.

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

"nova" is the third person singular present of the verb novar........................... Well I don't get it. Is this a big insult that i just don't know about? Or is my online translation goofy?

4. Pez

Pez

'51 331 Caddy....

Him..Unusual engine you got there, Cadillac V6 eh!
    Me..no its a V8
    Him..its a V6 you can tell by the exhaust.
    Me..MMMM!!! Time for a coffee and a smoke BYE!.......

5. nexxussian

nexxussian

Pez, you should tell them it's a prototype submarine engine, uses 2 plugs in one cylinder per side (the middle one), they weren't sure it would keep running if they did all 6, so they designed it that way so if the middle 2 fail, you can still get home.:rolleyes::D (cause with 2 plugs it would run so much better underwater :D:D see if they buy it).

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  6. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

While I'm fueling up a guy looks in my 54 Chevy hardtop with a 60s Corvette steering wheel on a 76 Malibu tilt column and shift lever including the gear indicator and says "I see you are running a "three-on-the tree". Rather than explain I just say - nope - it's an automatic. I guess I was supposed to be impressed that he knew what rodders used to call a three speed manual transmission.

7. hotrod428

hotrod428

When are you going to paint it or what color are you going to paint it? Iv'e been running my 63 Lark for 5 years and 45,000 miles in DP90 and thats the color.

8. hotrod428

hotrod428

I know, my Lark has been called everything from a Rambler or Falcon to a Mercedes.

9. Morris

Morris
    from UK

Many years ago a friend of mine had parked up in his 5W when an old guy appears and asks what the engine is (it was a 390 FE). He replied in litres as that's what most people understand over here!
    Friend "It's a 6.4 litre V8 Ford"
    Old guy "No, it can't be, they don't make them that big"
    Friend "It is and they come bigger than this"
    Old guy "If it were that big it would be a V12 and even Jaguar don't make them that big"
    We made our excuses and left him secure in the knowledge he was right:D

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So WTF does Nova mean in Spanish? Or what is it believed to mean?
    Doc.

11. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Nova really means star in spanish. "No va" means "no go" in spanish. The story is that the Nova never sold well in Mexico because the name was translated as " no go"

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Billybob, thats just scary man! Thanks for the explanation!

13. James66g

James66g

This ones not dumb that shit is hilarious!

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

just had a battery "expert"tell me that the odyssey battery I wanted would never power my car, it's a pc625, this is a small off topic four cylinder without anything like power windows, or even AC, I told him I had done my research and he proceeded to tell me i didn't know what I was talking about and he wouldn't warranty the battery. I was actually recommended this particular odyssey by another battery dealer on line, I guess I'll be ordering from him won't I? This was supposed to be an expert in a major battery store. Someone who treats me like an idiot sure isn't getting my business.

15. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

What I hate is when you see something really cool at a show and ask the owner about it only to see the "deer in the headlights look" followed by a comment that makes it obvious they have no idea because they just bought the car that way so they could sit next to it in a lawn chair! (wow... that was a long sentence...)

16. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

oooo easy with that lawn chair line, I got my balls squeezed by the know it alls about that once. :eek:

17. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Pendejo means " My white friend." I work with a Mexican guy and thats what he tells me.

18. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

He's yanking your chain gringo. Pendejo means "dumb sh!T" or "dumb a$$"

19. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Another good response would have been, "Why, so they can build another piece of shit vacuum cleaner like you're driving?" Vacuum cleaner? "Yeah, because it sucks and has a dirtbag inside!"

20. your way to close to the border to fall for that................:D

21. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

I couldn't say the guy came on as an "expert", but he did make an off-the-wall comment while looking over my 27 T RPU at the Hunnert Car Pileup this year. While checking out the interior, he commented on what a "neat trick" the clutch pedal was: "it makes it look like a standard shift"! he said. I just laughed and told him he should check out the clutch master cylinder right next to the frame rail up front. "It makes it look even MORE like a standard shift I told him. He wasn't the only one to make the same comment!

22. And then your there with a shiteatin' grin while he's calling you a "dumb ass"... Nice guy you work with.

23. sliderule67

sliderule67
    from Houston

The guys in Victoria County always said it meant xxxhole. Maybe it doesn't translate well, but it's not good.
    I met a guy one time that had the nickname Dingleberry. Said his friends hung it on him; told him they weren't his friends...........slide

24. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

Culo would be the exit hole. Or at least that general area, my spanish is not bueno.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  25. BenDover

BenDover
    from SGV, CA

Car - 1954 Chevy Chopped and in bare metal.
    "Expert" with "friend" looking at my car within ear shot of me at a street rod blues festival.

EXPERT - "WOW - this looks like aluminum but its from when they were making these outta stainless steel. There was a shortage of steel & aluminum in the 50's ya' know - shortly after the war."

FRIEND - "Man, once again you impress me... you really know your stuff, I thought that the stainless steel shortage was during the Vietnam conflict."

EXPERT - "Nope, we were running short of rice back then cause they wouldn't sell us any, remember?"

FRIEND - "Oh yeah..."

26. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I wonder how much it would have weighed in stainless lol, someone ask Dolearean

27. OHV DeLuxe

OHV DeLuxe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norway

-Expert that thinks everything that other people has are shit.
    About my restored 46 Knucklehead:
    Expert: Is that a 883?

Me: no it’s a 1200..

Expert: Can`t be.. Its too low..!

Me: Huh?

-Same jealous expert about an OT German car that my wife has for daily transportation:
    I told him it’s a special edition something that I had never really heard of and don’t care about, but he jumped right on me.

Expert: If so, where is the bumper?!

Me: On the car..

-My friends father after I pulled up with my newly acquired 51 Chevrolet as a 18 yo.

Expert father: To bad it`s got an Opel engine
    Me: No it`s matching numbers.

Expert: These never had overhead valves.

Me: They always had ohv.

Expert: Chevrolet never had overhead valves until their V6! I`ve had them all!

Including a 51 Styleline with correct flathead six…

Me: Really… and walked into the garage and helped my friend with his Fiat Webers.

-Last weekend I pulled into the farm supplement store parking with my 16000 mile 46 Ford stocker.
    Expert farmer wanted to show his tractor friends how much he knows:

Expert: Is that a Standard?

Me: Super deluxe.

Expert: No that’s a Standard Vanguard!

Me: Ford V8, Us Made.

Hurt expert: Doesn`t sound like it..

Me: I`ll have a big plastic tub and a keg of molasses. :)

28. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Sounds like a conversation with Grandpa Simpson.

29. freebird101

freebird101

first. I had someone come over once to see my Comet when I just got it and he says "Did you build this" ok 1. He lives right down the block and comes over practically every day to play with my brothers, by now he would have noticed me building a car in the garage(At the time I just got it a week ago) yeah but he aint an expert, but its a story.

30. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

I threw a 455 in my old buick, and had an "Expert" ask me what size motor it was.
    I told them " It is a 455!"
    They then told me that I was wrong, "It's a 454! They never made a 455."
    I then proceeded to tell him it was a 455, because the distributor is in the front.
    He again told me I was wrong, and asked me "Why did you paint it red?"
    I then shut the hood and walked away!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.