Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods So how many cars should one man allowed to have?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by resqd37Zep, Aug 24, 2009.

1. krome

krome

I want to meet this guy and interview him.

2. A guy should be able to have as many of whatever (cars, homes, tools, etc) as he wants. Remember, boys and girls, guys like this have made money over the course of their lives! They've worked for what they have, and they deserve the fruits of their labors. A collection like this (or Leno's, or Harrah's, or whomever else you can think of!) is the result of WORK. It takes a buttload of WORK to acquire the desired cars, then keep them in running order, registration (or a dealer's license), insurance...THEN pay a couple of full-time guys to take care of things...Why is a really ridiculous question like "so, how many cars should a man be allowed to have?" even being asked??? As stated above, this PC class envy crap has to stop! Who is to say how many one should be allowed to have? Only the owner of the collection should be allowed to say at all!

I've owned between two and fifteen cars at a time since age twelve. That's been nearly forty years of collector enthusiasm, and I've had some very rare and desirable cars from all over. I've been asked why I own what I do, and my answer is always: "Because I can!" It is no one's business that someone has such an impressive collection as pictured above. They are his to enjoy, period. He could take a crusher to the collection tomorrow, and it would be no one's business but his.

You want a collection of impressive rods, muscle, classics, etc? WORK for it! You still have that right in this country. Quit whining about someone else's dedication and hard work (which some of you wrongly describe as "luck"!) and DO something towards that goal!

3. junior51

junior51

Nice collection, those rides need driving or whats the sense in just drooling?

4. Pardon me while I wipe the tears from my eyes, what a waste, maybe he could show some mercy and let me drive a few of them.

5. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

Dare I say it, thats almost too many.

6. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

That Chevy Luv Will do a 9 second 1/4. Nuff said! I have to agree he or anyone else should be able to have all they want to have. Hell if I could do it I would be no different. I think it was just the shock of seeing it all and knowing one man ownes all these. I'm still waiting on my GM stock to mature.:D

7. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

That lawnmower was one of my Favs. Small Block Chevy for motorvation!:eek:

8. Wicked50

Wicked50

As many as his wife will let him have

9. Wife said I could have 10 when we got together, I have only eight now, 6 are drivers and I have a hard time driving them as much as they need. But I still want to fill those last two slots again. A man can own as many as he wants and hopefully emulate Jay Leno, who has more than I can count and drives them all.

10. wallace

wallace

Awsome hell Id have my own parade every sunday im sure it wouldnt be hard to make friends to help me drive in it.

11. wallace

wallace

Man I would have one of those what did i walk in here for moments everytime I went to the garage for something If I had all those cars distracting me.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't knock the man for owning a collection of really nice cars that look well cared for and kept in pretty nice condition. You don't see one flat tire or one car covered with dust in the lot.

There is a hell of a big difference between someone who has a well kept collection like this appears to be and someone who hords cars just so no one else can get their hands on them and lets them run down until they aren't worth much of anything to anyone.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

13. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

This thread is the reason many of you will never see photos of my collections

I slept in my shop for 20+ years to own what I own. No house no kids no old lady ....... How many of you here would do that??

AND Rich it's really "He who lives with the most toys, wins" :D

Dead is Just DEAD. :)

14. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

I like house, kid, old lady, life would be sad without 'em. Different strokes I guess.

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's sad that you need to feel that way and see such responses bro. Goals are fleeting sometimes and it's dedication and determination that makes things happen. Very rare in today's atmosphere of instant gratification. BTW, I got ME some Packards now:D

16. HotRod33

HotRod33

As many as someone can afford.... no need to bitch about someone having alot of cars and not driving them... I know to many guys with 1 or 2 cars and they hardly drive them....

17. Scotch

Scotch

Love the cars in this thread...

...hate the politics...

18. What politics? It is the truth.

19. krome

krome

I meet Art, really nice guy and family.

20. krome

krome

We did a feature of Art in our Premier Issue. Art and his family are great people. We'll be at their car show on Nov. 7th.

21. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

ive got one and i dont even have my license yet

22. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

ya what he said.

cars were ment to be driven they wernt ment to sit around and collect dust. poor poor cars :(

23. krome

krome

Check out the Premier issue of Sunday Slacker for a feature on Art and his collection.

24. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

At least there not going to be crushed, that is the true waste of machinery.

25. 1 less than you can afford

26. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Hot Rods, so how many cars should one man be allowed to have?

"Allowed"?

By whom?

27. mrdodge

mrdodge

I say, well done to the guy for having the taste to get together such a collection of cool cars, and sharing them with people now and then. As for how many cars should one man have (not ALLOWED). As many as he wants/can afford to have. Even in this country, freedom to do what you want legally, is still allowed. :D

28. I'll never talk shit about somebody who has a motherlode of nice iron safely tucked away in a climate controlled environment and yet also allows people to look at them. They could all belong to some old codger who had em' rustin' away on a hillside somewhere. Plus, if I were born rich, I believe you all would be talkin' about my giant car/motorcycle/warbird collection. More power to him.

29. I couldn't be happier he's taking care of them.....when this guy is gone those cars will go back into service as used hotrods...in great shape too. Much better than the old geezers who park their old cars in a field to rot away....

30. Creatin, I need you to speak up to all the people who insist that I have to many. I own 6-7 collector cars in various states of disrepair and about 10 total. Personally I don't think it's wrong, but for some reason many people act as if its some sort of crime. What the hell? Old cars are what I like to do. I don't drink much, I gave up any drugs many moons ago, I don't gamble, I've got no wife or kids, I mean W.T.F.????
    Why do I have people keep insisting that theres some reason why I have to get rid of them????