Register now to get rid of these ads!

kkoa vintage airport drags in den-o-sin tx. fri oct23

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrape, Oct 18, 2009.

1. scrape

scrape

the denison kkoa show is putting on a vintage drag race on friday night at the old perrin airforce base.....
    .. https://bransonsecure.com/k/events.htm ...
    quote frome link.....
    " Now! Here's the biggie!!! Starting at noon on Friday, and running till dusk, we're going to have 50's style "Run-What'ya-Brung-Drag-Races" at the old Perrin Air Force Base (now turned Grayson County Airport), located seven traffic free miles west of the Comfort Inn (headquarters motel).
    We'll be using 3,500 feet of the monster facility so we have plenty of shut-down area. Every entrant will be eligible to race, or just come and watch free. Plus, with this much room all professional nostalgia style drag racing machines is welcome to participate. How kool that'll be, watching hotrods, leadsleds, gasser's, funny cars, altered's, AA-F front-load slingshots, matching it off. And, just like the drags at Salina & Boonsboro, there's just one rule! Safety.
    There you go. A four-in-one event (Show & Shine, Drags, Cruisin' Main St., & a Rock & Roll Jambree), like none other that's sure to fill your tank with excitement. Talk about a blast w/the 50's past, this show will live it Oct. 23-25. Be Therrrrrre."

2. scrape

scrape

3. scrape

scrape

4. Rusty

Rusty

Sweet!!!!!!! Now this sounds like fun!!!!

5. coleminer

coleminer
    from East Texas

Are the races being held on Saturday also?

6. daddyo54

daddyo54
    Member Emeritus
    from Denison Tx

7. I`m hoping to get off work at noon Friday. I am starting to feel a little sick ya know ...

Will just be watching, but wow what a show it should be !

8. pushrod_mike

pushrod_mike
    from Austin TX

This is going to be one of the coolest things ever. I hope the roadster is running on more than 3 cylinders by then.

9. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Damn. On a friday. Wll it be going Saturday as well??

10. pushrod_jimbo

pushrod_jimbo

11. scrape

scrape

heck yea, get that thing going....

12. The Shocker

The Shocker

I am thinking of bringing the Dart ,but i dont get off work till 3 pm.How late are they gunna be running? What does dusk mean ,4,5,6 ? I can haul it on the trailer to work Friday and be there by 3:20 ,if i can get more than one run in...

13. Yea, you need to help support the MOPAR effort. Where do you work ? Can`t be too far from Perrin Field. I can go ahead and trailer your Dart there for you and have the oil warm and slicks heated up by the time you arrive. :D

14. 37FABRICATION

37FABRICATION

I wish I'd seen this sooner... have plans already, but it does look fun!

15. Friday only!.....shit.

16. how late will they run friday?

17. scrape

scrape

....take off work....

18. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We will be in town early Friday aftenoon, needless to say I won't be Drag'n the
    Merc. Looking forward to the trip and checking out the new location.

Happy Trails,

Mick

19. Big Tony

Big Tony

Hate to miss this one but i'm committed to the Boy Scout Show in Keller that 29Jay is apart of. Can't wait for pics

20. The Shocker

The Shocker

I work at Kaiser Aluminum .Has anyone heard about how many cars are gunna be racing and how late ? I have a bad feeling im gunna pull up at 3:30 and everyone is rolling up there shit and heading for town.I'd like to make a few passes on a runway if i can ...

21. All I`ve heard is racing until "dusk". On the KKOA site is says "Drag Racing Friday 12-5pm".

22. Friday races...guess they want us to look at the customs..."looks good-does it run?"

23. pushrod_mike

pushrod_mike
    from Austin TX

No roadster..........got to get some new adjustable pushrods........Merc engage........
    Me vs. Mickey in the Mercury shootout.

24. Diana The Doc

Diana The Doc
    from New York

This sounds like a groovy idea... Once I attending a drag racing event held at the old North Weald Airfield (Airport) in England... I believe the folks from Santa Pod may have been responsible for putting the event on... I've got to tell ya, I envy the old timers who got to experience drag racing at abandon air strips, there's just something about it that makes it so d*rn cool... Needless to say, there's plenty of excess space at an air strip, usually a lot more space than your average sanctioned drag strip can provide... I wish there were more events like this spread across the nation... Every drag fan should get the chance to experience racin' at an old air strip at least once in their lifetime... "The Doc" (Celebrity Drag Racing Authority & Visionary)...

25. pushrod_mike

pushrod_mike
    from Austin TX

We dragged for hours and had a freaking blast. By far the funnest thing I've done in a long time. Bring on more stuff like this. KKOA did a great job. Just a bunch of car guys dragging down an old air force runway.......

26. Yes, it was great. Could have done without some of the late-model cars / pickups, but oh well, they were having fun too.

I wish they could have run longer than 5 pm. Me and the wife couldn`t get there until about 3 and my son didn`t get there until after 4 because of school. He paid $10 and got to see 45 minutes of racing. He had a good time none the less.

27. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

I kinda enjoyed seeing late model Corvettes and Mustangs getting smoked by rusty old cars built in someone's garage.

28. Yea, the new, blue Vette was not impressive. I`m sure it can carve a winding road, but it could not hang with the old rods. My wife said her Dodge Stratus sounded meaner. :eek:

29. scrape

scrape

30. 60 GASSER

60 GASSER

Hey ardmore is an old abandoned air strip. Maybe i am just a little partial! Mike maybe you could call your band the "adjustable pushrods" and then play some dope hiphop for the fart pipe honda boys!!! HAHA!