Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Engine rebuilder in PA - Schwalms? Would you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thebanjoman, Oct 19, 2009.

1. thebanjoman

thebanjoman

I've searched the forums but came up short.

I need a '29 A motor rebuilt. Was told the last time it ran back in '61 it had some piston slap. it SHOULD be good to rebuild.

I've come across http://www.schwalms.com/index.htm

And wonder if anyone could offer thumbs up/down, or sideways on getting them to do the work.

Past experiences on motor work have left me blue to the point where Im skeptical about EVERYTHING. I have had work done locally in questionable shops by questionable people and it left such a bad taste in my mouth that I'm gun shy.

For those in the know, would you have schwalms rebuild your motor?

I want opinions, good, bad or otherwise.
    I didn't want to crate and ship a motor and only talk to someone on the phone.
    I want to see the shop and meet the builder face to face so I know that I can put a face to their work.
    I want to have a promise date and assurances I will get the SAME block back (have been 'bait and switched' before so I ask)

I live in Winchester VA and they would be a 3 hour trip to drop it off and back again but I'd gladly drive that for good results.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thank you for your time.

2. officerfalfa

officerfalfa

I've never heard anything bad about them. They always have a big setup at Hershey. A local guy I know had them build him a hopped up B motor for his A sedan. He has had them do a lot of work for him and he is a repeat customer. Hope that helps!

3. Ice man

Ice man

I had to have my B C/balanced crank drilled for full pressure. I live a long way off, but he did it with out a hitch. I've only heard good stuff about him, thats why I sent the crank. Well pleased. Iceman

4. Good Wood

Good Wood
    from pa

They've been in business for a quite a while. and have a really good reputation around here. They do excellent work, and I've never heard any complaints............Woody

5. Brian C

Brian C

I can tell you that my son bought a rebuilt 'B' motor from Schwalms last year at Hershey and it's in our latest project. It's been test run and broken in and it sounds great. The vehicle is not on the road as of yet but that will be next spring when the body is done.

As a matter of fact we stopped by their Hershey tent this year and they remembered us and immediately asked us how the engine was and were we happy with it.

Ora is the name of the "younger guy". He worked a long time with the owner (Schwalm) and took over the business when he passed away a few years ago. The impression I get from them is they have a LOT of experience and the folks who work there really know their stuff. Their work looks top notch and I for one would not hesitate to go back and deal with them again. Fair prices, good workmanship. All in all a good combination.

6. gas pumper

gas pumper

I've never had any work done there, but have seen advertisements for them for many years. and the web site tells a good story.
    I'd make an apointment and drive up and see the place and meet them.

And while your're in the area, Diener's Diner on route 30 in Ronks needs to be one of your stops. A lot of locals eat there, it's not a tourist trap.

7. Schwalms is one of the big names in A engines- they have a great reputation.

8. thebanjoman

thebanjoman

Many thanks to all who have responded.

Might be too nervous about all this but I've never been comfortable in turning a wrench over to someone else so I need to research things to death before I make a move.

I'll try and call this week.

9. jetmek

jetmek

try the GO DEVIL GARAGE... ive got rebuit a engines in stock can also build you a "touring" engine if you want....PM'd you

10. oldskool30

oldskool30

I have had 4 A/B motors done by them and they are doing my 53 flathead. Ora is a great guy who knows his stuff. Every motor has run great well worth the money. He also builds some performance motors both 4's and 8's , He also has a dyno to test your motor if you wish. You should see his 29 roadster with dual fuel injected carbs

http://www.schwalms.com/contact.htm

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  11. Shookie

Shookie

Schwalms Motors are always advertised in our national magazine. Model A Restorer
    Club of America. I have never heard of any negatives things about them.

12. Schwalms is popular among the George Washington Chapter (Washington DC) of the Model A restorers' club.

Don't ask me how I know.

13. thebanjoman

thebanjoman

Thanks to all who responded.

I just need to stop getting sidetracked at work so I can make a call......

Maybe next week.

14. I had Ora pour the babbits in my mains and they did a super job, he is a very knowlegble guy. Very cool shop. Get him to show you his old speed equipment, he will take time with you.

15. thebanjoman

thebanjoman

I just got off the phone with Ora and I'll be bringing him the motor on Friday.

I have a bit of work to do between now and friday tearing down to a short block.

I sure hope this block is capable of being rebuilt. its not seized but it hasn't run since 1968 (originally thought 1961).

16. thebanjoman

thebanjoman

I took off work yesterday and drove up to Schwalms and met Ora.

Walked into the shop and it was a walk back in time. The shop being what was once a gas station reminded me of the time I spent at a similar station as a kid in the '60s with my Dad working in such a place. It set my mind at ease.

I felt comfortable from talking with Ora and what I observed that I should get good results. He said he'd call me late next week with what I am hoping is good news that I have given him a good rebuildable block.

Now I can get back to making my rear spring spreader...

17. thebanjoman

thebanjoman

NUTZ...

Just got an email from Schwalms with the estimate to rebuild the A motor.

"we found that your block is actually rusted through the water jacket to the outside of the block in several places."

So the block is worthless and they are locating me a core to complete the rebuild.

So much for matching block/frame numbers.

Was not expecting this much drama over the rebuild but Im sure in the end I'll have good result.