Register now to get rid of these ads!

'54 235ci inline keeps eating/doming one lifter what to do/what's causing it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by markanthony, Oct 20, 2009.

1. markanthony

markanthony

Hey guys, fell out of love with my daily for a while because everytime I took it out after working on it I had to re-adjust the lifters (hydraulic). '52 Chevy Sedan, '54 Inline (60 over, mild cam)

The issue started about 2 years ago, no sweat, just a little tick on a very cold start-up (CA standards). I figured that I hadn't done an oil change in a while and that a flush was needed. Did the flush, isolated the offending lifter, took it out, cleaned it up, made sure it was functioning correctly and re-installed. This was fine for another year and then it came back.

I did the same song and dance, dissasembled, flushed the motor, reassembled and back on the road. On the maiden voyage (again) I drove it for an hour to warm up. Same tick developed, pulled over and re-adjusted. Drove the hour home just fine then about a week later of 20-30 minute drives, the tick came back. Continued adjusting 2 or three more times that week and then shelved it in the garage until I could find the time to take it apart again.

Picked up some lifters for the motor, made sure they worked correctly, installed. Again, about a week later the un-adjustable tick came back on the same lifter. Shelved again until time allowed me to work on it.

TODAY:
    So I finally set aside the time to get into the motor, yanked the ticking lifter out and noticed it was domed like the original one I pulled out. It was flat when I put it in.

Noticed that the cam lobe wasn't centered on the hole where the lifter fits in, thought that might be the problem, yanked a couple of the other lifters and noticed that the orientation of the lobes were about the same but those lifters were'nt domed or worn down.

So... I felt the lobes, all felt and looked polished, everyother one is nicely oiled, except this back one....feels a bit gritty

MY THOUGHTS:
    I know I need to drop the oil pan and look at the carnage, clean the screen, check everything out.

MY QUESTION:
    Have you ever seen a cam dome/eat away a lifter?
    What was the possible cause?
    Is a complete tear down in order?

Thanks in advance guys...
    Mark-Anthony

Pics:
    (I'll provide in just a minute)

2. 6inarow

6inarow

Patrick Dykes hasnt sold or recommened hydraulics in years because of poor quality. I'd consider swapping cams and lifters. This problem is all over the nliners board for a while

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Cam going flat . Time for a new cam and lifters.

4. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

If you just changed the just the lifter and not the cam and lifters when the last one failed the old cam was damaged and wore out the new lifter.

Change cam and lifters and use the right oil and life will be good again.

5. squirrel

squirrel

might want to take the engine all the way apart because that metal grit can get everywhere....score the cylinder bores, crank, embed in bearings, etc

6. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

oh yeah, and clean the bottom end out.

7. markanthony

markanthony

Oh yes, there has to be damage from the flotsam floating around.
    [​IMG]
    When I set the worn lifters next to the "new" ones there's about an 1/8" of material missing...makes me kick myself for just thinking it was a clogged lifter and running it but, live and learn I suppose

On the hunt for another 235 locally to swap in while I tear down this one and bring it back to life.

Thank you guys for the help and direction.

8. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

mice ate your spokes.....

9. markanthony

markanthony

Oh if you only knew...you should see the size of the roaches here along with the neighbors rabbits taking up housekeeping behind my music equipment.