Register now to get rid of these ads!

Attn pro painters- need advice on spray gun

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodHabit, Oct 19, 2009.

1. I was wondering if some of you professional painters could give me your opinions on the best clear gun to get. I've been looking at the Sata RP 3000 and the Iwata LVH400. I'm hoping for something that will easily slick out on the dryer side of things, rather than really wet, as I will be using tinted clears, so therefore color control is an issue. And info/feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. daddyo54

daddyo54
    Member Emeritus
    from Denison Tx

I love my Iwatas I use them on everything.Have one for bases,one for candies and one for only clears. Easy to use and low overspray. Ive used Satas also but keep going back to my Iwatas. Funny thing is Sata guys are Sata guys and Iwata guys are Iwata guys kinda like the whole Chevy vs Ford BS! haha We painters are usually creatures of habit! haha

3. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

Iwata is my gun of choice, but if you want a RP 3000 1.4 I have one I need to sell.

4. BISHOP

BISHOP

I'm a Devilbiss man.

Iwata would be my second choice. I actually use some smaller Iwata guns, and their airbrushes rule. I do not like the sata guns, but know painters that love them.

I think its really just personal preference though. I think you should get a dealer to allow you to demo a gun before dropping 4-5 bills for a paint gun. They will if you ask.

5. inliner54

inliner54

I have an rp 3000 and it works great for me. Most people use the rp guns for clear and base and if your doing a lot of blending and spot repait work then they will use and hvlp gun but the rp will work good for that too. dont know much about the iwata guns but i know sata is pretty much top of the line it would be a good choice.

6. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

i use the sata for color and the new iawata 4000 with 1.3 tip for the clears , i see a big difference in the clear for sure.... worth the money for sure

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I'm a SATA guy. It was one of the first HVLP guns that Jon Kosmoski recommended for painting candy, so I bought one, and have buying theirs ever since.
    I'm sure Iwata is just as good, though, after hearing from other custom painters.

8. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

another vote for Iwata

9. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

SATA here also. it's just a matter of personal preferance, can't go wrong either way. both great guns.

10. Ivor383

Ivor383

See if you can get hold of one of the latest British/European spec DeVilbiss GTi Pro guns...they are a whole different ball game;)

11. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I just got a used Sata nr 95 1.3 tip for clears. It was used but for 80.00 i couldnt pass.It sprays great.

12. Devillbiss GTI.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  13. skullhat

skullhat

i think all the newer guns are pretty good.
    i use an iwata for base on small jobs and spots, i like the devilbeiss tekna for larger areas and completes.
    i also use a tekna clear gun for all the clear jobs. i used to have satas, and they were great , but i seem to favor the tekna.
    as said the iwata airbrushes are second to none, make my paasche's seem like under coat guns, lol.

for larger jobs i have an old mattson hvlp with the pressure feed. we call it the hydrant, boy will it lay on primer or clear. have used it to spray color on large cars, we blasted some of the busonic with one of those, but you have to be on your toes

skull

14. how often are you going to paint? i actually paint quite a bit, but cant justify spending 400-500 bucks on a gun. i used my dads old devilbiss JGA forever, & still break it out for flake jobs, uses alot of material though. i picked up a couple of guns from harbor freight, and have had really good luck with them, didnt cost a million dollars either. i think the cheapest guns today are way better than the stuff our heros had to work with 50+ years ago. i shot this plymouth with all harbor freight guns, from primer to clear. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Thanks for the info fellas. This will be a dedicated clear-only gun, that will be used to clear over silver metalizing, and the clear will be tinted if needed, to produce different chromatic colors. As you might imagine, the color will darken with each coat, so I'm hoping to get a gun that will leave the smoothest surface with the least amount of material.

With the Iwata LPH 400's would anyone happen to know the differences between the LV and LVX models, and which one would have a finer atomization? Thanks Again.

16. skullhat

skullhat

i would say that the iwata does have the finest atomizaion if that is what you are after

skull

17. Happy Hooker

Happy Hooker
    from Wyoming

Go with a Nesco Np 880.

18. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I use a Sata RP3000 and I love it. One of the best spraying guns I've ever picked up.

19. HELLMET

HELLMET

Iwata lph400 for me all the way. Get you some ricky. Looks good. I just finished this for kutty with my iwata. Sem base sem ice , and marono pearl and sem clear. Billy

Attached Files:

20. Ha ha.

21. Tony

Tony

A few years back Tuck lent me his Iwata gun to shoot my 53.......
    It made me paint like a pro! haha :D
    Seriously, it was a great gun and even though i am NOT a pro painter, i can see the difference in the quality of guns. It's NICE.
    I sent his back, and bought my own as soon as i could afford it because of the quality, and Tuck's own advice and thoughts.
    Best gun i've ever owned. Actually using it now to paint my dads truck and once again, i've very pleased with the results.

Tony

22. jfreak2006

jfreak2006
    from Washington

If you are looking for a dedicated clear the 3000 RP is my personal favorite. IMHO I really don't see much difference in the performance of the HVLP's, it all comes down to preference in the grip, location of adjustment, and painting style for what will work the best for you.

23. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Ok, I am going to pull this old thread up because I just bought an Iwata LPH gun, my first "high end" gun, I really dig the way it lays down base, and damn it atomizes the hell out of clear coat, maybe it atomizes clear too good.

I had learned to watch the clear hit and kind of "bounce" off the surface with my Divilibis guns in order to help me judge how much material I was putting down. This doesn't seem to work with this gun because of the super fine application.

I am sure I will relearn how this should work, but anyone have any hints to help me along this learning curve? I was having so much trouble that I left part of the surface way dry and another part I left small sags...

I bought an IWATA LP* 400 gun with the chrome, purple, and gold caps and a 1.3 and a 1.4 tip and have so far used it only on a truck that does not need to be anywhere near perfect but.....

Is it just me or does "better equipment" require greater skill..... :D

24. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers