Register now to get rid of these ads!

good method for removing Flatblack spray can paint job and saving the original paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Oct 20, 2009.

1. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

Go to TSC and get implement and tractor paint. Same thing as single stage auto enamel and a lot cheaper. Only a little more expensive than rustolium without all the trouble down the road.

Lets keep in perspective that it's a 4dr and a $1000 car, he/she is probably not expecting a show car here.

2. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Try the lacquer or enamel thinner plus fine steel wool or rags. It might just wipe off; seeing how it's flaking off already. Rattlecan paint is thin and easily removed. Do NOT use oven cleaner; it is caustic and will harm the factory job, etch aluminum and damage chrome.

3. gashog

gashog

I'd try naptha and a white ScotchBrite pad before I used anything stronger. Since the black primer is fresh, it should come off easy.

4. from the Krud Kutter site graffiti removal

Removes: acrylic, acrylic enamel, aerosol paint, enamel, high gloss, oil lacquers, primers, sealers, semi-gloss, Speed-E-Namels, stain killers, super enamels, urethane enamels, and water-based enamels.

will that cause any problems for me?

5. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Probably. It IS paint remover after all.

6. Duece's wild

Duece's wild

Do you live near Tiajuana? Hell you can have it upolsturd and painted in one day for a grand. Just don't leave them alone cuz they will stuff your seats with chicken feathers. You get what you pay for

7. spellsinger

spellsinger
    from California

Well, here is something that seriously works, but you have to be quick. Use a can of spray gasket remover. Spray a small area, and QUICKLY rub it off, it will take off the bad paint. Then move on to another area. Have plenty of soap and water there, to stop the process. If you leave it on too long, more than a few seconds, you are going to be taking off your good paint too. Carburetor cleaner will work too, same procedure.

Lacquer thinnner will work with plenty of clean rags. But it does leave a residue, and you have to get that off too.

But really, you would just be better off with some 220 grit wet sandpaper, a hose, and some elbow grease. not only will you clean up the paint, you will be putting a good surface down for good paint later.

If you take your time with a decent spray enamel can, you can get super good results.

tom

8. try laquer thinner and a red or grey scotchbrite...

9. and make sure you use a very FINE steel wool with laquer thinner on the chrome

10. Hitchhiker, Please post results if you try the grafitti remover, I might be in the same boat as you with primer over factory paint.
    I was doing the interior, was originally blue, but painted white(spraycan), I tried 320-400 grit water sanding and still burnt through the factory paint in some edges. I ended up fully sanding the interior and will repaint that all. I'd recommend the 1500-2000 grift or steel wool
    But I am interested on how your exterior comes out.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  11. The only way That krud kutter stuff will hurt original paint is if its been left on overnight.... remember, the original paint on that car was actually prepped and laid on correctly... I doubt that whoever spray bombed your car took the time to prep the car. Just spray it on, leave it for a few minutes and rub it with a damp cloth.

12. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

Damn,,
    you guys listed everything under the sun but a dead porcupine!

13. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

sand it thats what I did to this tank was covered in black primer 180-220

you can see some black in where the paint was cracked

Attached Files:

• 70s1.jpg
      70s1.jpg
      File size:
      109.3 KB
      Views:
    • 70s3.jpg
      70s3.jpg
      File size:
      108.9 KB
      Views:
    • 70s4.jpg
      70s4.jpg
      File size:
      84.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  14. ricky from va

ricky from va

any thing worth doing is worth doing right. id da sand it and make sure you get all the loose shit off prep it clean and prime it. spray bomb it again but this time do it right. if there is a spray bomb right. i under stand momey crunch. you prep it all shibe can shoot it i guess

15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Ive been wet sanding old brushed on black, off my 55 with 180.
    I tried lacquer thinner,it either smeared and dried to quick or took it to the metal, so I wouldnt recomend lacquer thinner.
    You could go with a little finer paper after the 180 and buff after you get the spray paint cut off,for some shine
    Mines looking like I want it, after the 180.(Dull/faded)
    Im going to fix and touch up a few places with paint number matched
    paint thats been put in a spray can at the automotive paint supply store.
    Then sand over it again to match the rest.

The second picture was before.
    The first was after
    The driver side was more drasticly covered before sanding but I dont have a pic.

I still have some sanding to do as you can see,but it actualy looks better looking at it in person than in the pic.

Attached Files:

16. Squablow

Squablow

Don't use steel wool on your chrome. I don't know how many times I have to say this.

The best way to get paint off of your chrome is to take it off the car and brush it with paint stripper. Doing this will also make it easier for you to try to get the spray paint off of the original paint underneath. Granted, it is more work, but it's well worth it.

I think you should post pics of this O/T car, even if it is too new, pics might help determine the easiest way of stripping it.

17. bbanks12

bbanks12

i always paint outside, simply because i do not have access to a paint booth and i dont want to go to the trouble of sealing up my garage. just a few tips, ...obviously wait for a calm day, get away from trees, and wet the ground...prefferably concrete before you start, this will keep any dust from rising caused by the spray gun. good luck

18. Cool. I plan to start stripping it tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how it goes.... As I am sure I'm not the only one that wants to get rid of a crappy flat black paint job.

ask and you shall receive....

It's a 1968 Falcon Futura. 289ci auto. 122,000 original miles. Rebuilt engine and trans. P.O. Used por-15 on the floorboards. I haven't found any rust other than minor surface rust when I was underneath it today fixing a exhaust hanger. We washed it earlier and I was able to rub some of the paint off on the roof with my thumb and a little water. roof shot.
    [​IMG]

fender where it is peeling.
    [​IMG]

side shot

[​IMG]

19. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

If its coming off that easy, you might try a pressure washer to get a lot of it off???

20. Yeah, I'm pretty surprised how it was just rubbing off. I've got the Krud Kutter graffiti remover already so I'm going to give it a go tomorrow.

21. Squablow

Squablow

It looks like 0 prep work was done before the spray paint, so the graffiti remover will probably give good results. Just test it in an inconspicuous area first to make sure it doesn't mess up the stock paint underneath.

22. Diavolo

Diavolo

Ya know... OT or not, that's a pretty neat lookin little car! I've always loved falcons, and my neighbor has a first generation 2 door sitting right around the corner in their driveway, never driven and a body as straight as it came from the factory... Hmmmm

23. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

That tank is awesomer'n'hell. Sometimes you find a single part that makes you want to build a car or bike around it. That tank is one of those things. Cool.

Oh, and I use a dead porcupine for removing cheap paint. :D

And thanks for all the posts. I've got some random spray bomb spots on my "new" truck I'd like to get rid of. I'm going to try that kurd kutter and see what happens.

24. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

I found it by accident did'n really know it was there ,,lol

25. redo32

redo32

Nice little falcon. If you try any oven cleaner DO NOT get any on the grille.It is aluminum and the caustic will etch & eat it up. If there is a little overspray on it use a rag & some lacquer thinner. don't use steel wool, it will scratch. The side trim & some of the window trim is usually stainsteel & you can't hurt it.

26. FuelFC

FuelFC

Oh and like MarkZ said if all else fails use the dead porcupine method.

27. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Try a hedgehog; their spines are softer and less abrasive. :D

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  28. update: Well I tried the Krud Kutter....It doesn't seem to be working for me.:( I did get a DA today and I will use that next:D

29. hoplias

hoplias
    from California

What chemical you used eneded up working the best to get spray paint off ?(I know its a old post)

30. The oven cleaner will remove the spray paint without harming the factory finish.I have used it to remove graffiti from vehicles before.