Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stash of Old Caddy's/TBird/Continental, Anything Worth Part Picking From?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AlfredENewman, Oct 15, 2009.

1. AlfredENewman

AlfredENewman
    from NC

I found a seller that has a ton of Caddy's, and a few interesting 50's to 60's American cars for sale. But they are too much for me to get running or restore. My questions are any of the engines, drivetrains, rear diffs etc worth to get for any future rods/custom projects? Anything special in those years or model ranges I should look for? I've seen a few budget rides that were pretty cheap and wondering if a Cadillac engine, drivetrain etc would be worth the swap or any added benefit.

My previous thread that might explain how I got here.

2. r8odecay

r8odecay

yeah, snag all the 331/365/390 drive trains you can. I'll possibly take some off your hands.

3. ryno

ryno

x2
    post up some pics or a list of what you got

4. AlfredENewman

AlfredENewman
    from NC

I'll contact the seller and see what he has exactly. And I'll check with him first, to see if it'll be ok to PM his info to those interested. What cars will the drivetrains swap into easily?

5. Concrete B

Concrete B

Im after caddy trim pieces and interior panels. If anything is 63-63 2 door I could use the info as well.

6. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

"Anything special in those years or model ranges I should look for?" -AEN

Yes - GM '58 - '61 METAL-backed Bucket seats!!

7. CadVetteStang

CadVetteStang
    from Arkansas

70-73 Early 500 Eldorado engines,
    68-73 early 472 engines,
    74-76 late 500 Eldorado engines,
    74-75 late 472 engines,
    68-78 Caddy RWD had TH400 transmissions
    Most of the 60's full size Fords had 9" rear ends and some mid-size
    If there is a Caddy ambulance, it prob. has a 12 Bolt posi with some good gears.

I'd like to know what Caddy stuff he has esp. ambulances

8. 62rebel

62rebel

regardless of what a lot of folks say, save those damn FE's. they are getting harder and harder to find. save ANY Continental trim you can, that stuff can be gold to collectors. same with some Tbird stuff. power window switches, motors, etc form those are pricey.

9. havi

havi

Thunderbird valve covers? Better yet, mercury script.

10. AlfredENewman

AlfredENewman
    from NC

I left him a message and waiting to hear back from him. I will keep you guys updated.

By the way, what are FE's?

11. FE's are the first ford bigblock came out in 58 as 352's then went to 390's 427's 428's 410's and afew others made them until i think 1980

12. Consider that what's beyond your skill level may not be beyond someone else's and someone may want an entire car to build. I get emails from polite to obnoxious all the time from people who have utterly no concept that other people may be more skilled than they are - I'm not saying you're one - but it's something that should be pointed out.

I had a '60 Cad 390 in the chassis and I scrapped it last summer because I couldn't find anyone who gave a damn about it. Kept the valve covers, distributor and intake... I did sell the distributor to a HAMB'er a while back, but the rest, no one cared. Just like the Olds 455 I kept - an early one with the good heads and there's zero interest. We did manage to sell a couple of mid-60s Lincoln 4-doors, they'll bring a grand or so in fair shape in the right market.

Most of the big luxury cars the restorers only want perfect parts for them, the rest no one cares that much.

13. AlfredENewman

AlfredENewman
    from NC

I totally understand the differences in skill levels. That is why I mentioned that it is beyond my level, but have offered to contact the seller on behalf of anyone interested (still waiting to hear back), bc the members here have a greater understanding and skillset when it comes to these types of cars and builing/rebuilding them.

I apologize for the confusion, and I appreciate the post.

14. 33Master_Eagle

33Master_Eagle

Don't know what he has that he is willing to get rid of but if there are any trim and emblems for a '52 let meknow i am very interested

15. Sauli

Sauli

The benefit of the early Cadillac engines would of course be their looks in an early-style hot rod, the torque they generate, plus all the added attention You´d get at a show over the next guy over with an SBC, but they might not exactly be the best thing to go with if it´s "budget" You´re after. Not to be a smart-@ss here or to talk You out of it by any means, but unless You´re able to verify the stuff You´re looking at is in good enough shape to use as-is, You´d be best advised looking at the prices on the rebuild kits and machine work before deciding on what You agree to spend on a core. The same appears to hold true in the case of most any early B-O-P -stuff these days also...BUT, having said that, ultimately it´s up to You to consider what You can swing/work with, how bad You want it, and when You want it back on the road...
    Cheers.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  16. AlfredENewman

AlfredENewman
    from NC

Yeah I started looking into rebuild kit pricings, most engine work (outside of machining) I can do. But you do raise another great point, just because something might be cheap to buy, it might cost more to get it running.

I got in touch with the seller this past weekend and talked about some motors and stuff. He did say that he was looking to sell the cars whole though. So if I did buy something, then I would have to figure how to get rid of what I didn't want. I told him that some other 'friends' were interested. So anyone interested please PM me, he asked that I not give out his info to just anybody. Out of respect I will PM his info only.

17. AlfredENewman

AlfredENewman
    from NC

Sorry for being out of it, but I have been travelling alot lately for work. I talked with the seller about maybe buying some parts like a Jag Rear Diff (he had a few XJ6's when I last went there) and maybe an engine to start. If I buy a few parts to start with, then maybe the wife won't be so mad...instead of buying a whole car project. Jag IRS seem popular but some say they are too low for customs? Are they better suited in hot rods? I did see a vintage complete straight axle rear diff with wheels, that I thought would look cool in a custom budget hot rod.

By the way I've sent PM's to a few people interested, so PM me if anyone else wants his info to see what he has.