Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR updates

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by leeberz, Oct 14, 2009.

1. leeberz

leeberz
    from fresno ca

who is doin what?.........

i recently installed a cam and took 090 off the head really livened the car up

also might be building a new car for the owner of Eagle field
    more to come on that build.

2. Strip T's

Strip T's

Lee...The wife is gonna kill me...but where do I find a set of rules for HA/GR? I've got a slant 6....straight 8 Buick....in line ford....and a Hercules flat head 4cyl 1942 vintage from a WWII water pump...LOL....me and the old man chatted all the way back to Chowchilla about some ideas....

3. leeberz

leeberz
    from fresno ca

hey ron goto the top of the ha/gr forum and the rules are sticky or get ahold of the old man he will point ya in the right direction hell ill even help ya out with the welding
    how many ponies does that 4 cyl have

4. Strip T's

Strip T's

The HP and cu in on it will kinda floor you. But it makes pretty big TQ numbers...problem is finding a flywheel ,bellhousing and tranny that will fit up to it...my brother also has a line on a few CJ2A flat head Ford jeep motors...so we might just run a pair of those...Side by side...*WINK*...LOL.so we'll see where it heads. Cool on the welding I'll let you know...I think I might TIG this up myself...but who knows...too dang busy to do anything these days....but the HA/GR wouldn't take me but 2-3 weeks to build.

5. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

If we can gather the 15" conversion parts in time the Barn Job'll get better meat for the ANRA final.

Already did a medium "over the counter" cam, some valves and porting for Eagle Field so no more engine changes 'til next year. Insufficient coin for both at this time.
    Hell, she smokes the old hides way too easily now anyway.

Next season however, we hope to look into a custom ground cam to fit our engine's profile and some weight reductions (both the car and me :rolleyes:).

By the way, has anyone else noticed the much more general usage of the phrase "the HA/GR guys" in reference to this little group recently? Gentlemen, I believe the ball may finally be starting to roll on the coast. :cool:

6. leeberz

leeberz
    from fresno ca

well tonite the head comes off again:eek: gotta figure out why its not sealing HOPEFULLY NOT A BIG DEAL but we shall see gotta get ready for next weekend keep ur fingers crossed:cool:

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Don't forget the tranny Lee, ya just might need all the gears.:p

8. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Shhh, don't remind'im. ;)

9. leeberz

leeberz
    from fresno ca

tranny will be out tommorrow and dick good call on the head the steel gasket didnt have enuff surface area to seal that flaw in the water jacket got it solved buddy and i didnt forget about that tranny

10. ThingyM

ThingyM

Looks like mine will be sitting for awhile. But since alot of the new car problems were solved at Eagle Field, I shouldn't have too many more to fix,, I'm sure happy with the performance of that little 194.. But new intake and headers coming up..New back wheels and tires also...

11. bobw

bobw

I guess I took myself right out of the game with the automatic trans installation.:( Just got the driveshaft yesterday. I'm gonna put it together with a greasy old used trans just for some driveway blasts, in between snow showers.:D

Now, I've got Minnesota's only HA/GRa or SDRA or ??? funny little dragster.:eek:

I'll hafta take the HA/GR off the side panels. If I lived in SoCal or the MoKan area, the stick shift would have stayed.

I'm looking forward to the ANRA Hambster race for the championship. Good luck to you guys.

12. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Don't worry about the "down time" Dick, just take care of yourself and heal fast.

Oh yeah.......Thanks for giving me a chance to catch up on the build. Can you teach me that radiator hose trick?:D

Looking forward to staging with you. We "gray beards" have to stick together.

13. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

:cool:

Yeah, it occured to me Tuesday that a full surface gasket rather than the steel one might cover the flaw and you wouldn't have to fill it. But I'd have filled the void anyway, just on GP. Things like that park themselves in the back of my mind and bug me to distraction. :rolleyes:

:confused:
    You know, I believe I just figured something out. I think the ANRA & HA/GR (and others I'm sure) attitude in competition is similar to something that happens in war. ie; The fact that you're trying to kill each other forms a shared experience that can be a basis for friendship. The most commonly cited product of this is WW1 fighter pilot traditions early in that war.

In fact, in the effort and act of competing (be it war, sports, business, etc) you build specific shared experiences that are incommunicable to those who either can't or haven't done so as well. Thus, the one person you have'em in common with is your competitor/enemy. And so, your possible friend.

I should've seen the comparison sooner. I know a couple Vietnamese who were on the other side then and it's that very fact we share that's a strong under current to our friendship.

14. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I'll have to admit I like the HA/GRa idea.
    Admittedly, slushpumps were rare at the strips then because stock ones were weak, expensive and lost HP. Modified ones of the time were even more expensive, experimental and unreliable.
    Still, there were a few who tried'em and eventually got'em to work.

So to my way of thinking, auto trannies in the correct form (that is, period units with only period mods, the date cut-off would be different than that of engines as the developement curve was different) would be a cool second or sub class. Hence the HA/GRa designation.

The caveat would be of course, that the slushpumpers would still have the true advantage of not being able to miss a gear and should remain a seperate class for trophy purposes (as was practiced at some strips then).
    Everything else being "HA/GR normal", I believe someone with the sand and the dream to work out & start the class (and see it through to viability) would be a boon to the concept in the long run.
    I seriously doubt it'd convert a "stick"ler, and so would only add to the total rather than fraction it.

ps. As I recall snow either "falls" or "flurries", one of the reasons I'm no longer a Hoosier. :D

15. Racer Ralph

Racer Ralph

Can you say ANRA Open Wheel??

16. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I can, and have, often. :cool:

Unfortunately BobW doesn't have a simili in Minnesota.

17. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

i know u probably dont want to hear it but i found my seven main havin 200 cid to stuff in for next year gentelman woooo hoooooooo:D:D:D:D:D
    lots o work for me in the off season

also dick i was lookin through the jegs catalog today..............and realized how great it is to NOT be able to mail order anything out of the catalog for these cars ........makes this young buck feel like hes livin in the old days ........and i love it gotta use the ol brain alittle more :cool:

18. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Rocky, that's half the fun. I have noticed that there aren't a lot of '34 Dodge speed parts listed in the catalogs either.:D Makes the build more challenging, but adds a nice "made it, didn't buy it" feeling to the build.

19. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

sorry didnt realize i was on pops account it was me tom .......lee

20. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

In case you didn't notice.......you still are.:p

21. kustomdlux

kustomdlux

Well Lee, after staring at your HA/GR for probably too long at Eagle Field, me and a fellow HAMBer (greasel) went and picked up a motor yesterday to start our build for (hopefully) the next Eagle Field gathering. I might be bugging you guys a lot for info in the coming months.

22. leeberz

leeberz
    from fresno ca

let us know we would be happy to help

23. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

Thanks for the offer. We're both pretty stoked about getting into this; it's probably the most hooked I've been after going to a race/show.

It's a dang small world by the way, I'm the guy that works with Isaac, regarding his FB post. We'll have to bring him along sometime to check out your HA/GR, I guess.

24. leeberz

leeberz
    from fresno ca

well got the car back together today finally fired up this morning made a pass out front of the ol shop and it wouldnt get into hi gear soooooo.........engine and tranny back out tranny tore apart ...a little more grindin and back together everything is workin great now hopefully this weekend goes well.......and in my favor:D;)

25. leeberz

leeberz
    from fresno ca

what did ya pick out for a power plant also if u get a chance anra finals this weekend at famoso/bakersfield try to make it if ya can

26. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Ya need to fire that mechanic Lee.:D

Then again.......if ya didn't mess with the internals, the trans would probably shift fine.:p

27. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Now that wouldn't be any fun!

28. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well Lee, your chances just got better.
    I busted my ass this week to get the axles modified and the new rims trued & tuned, cleaned up & painted.

The tires finally showed up at 1300 hrs today and I mounted'em & had'em balanced. I pulled the old wheels & axles and slid the new ones in, popped the redrilled drums on and found the new rims don't fully clear the drums. GDMFSOB! :mad:
    That was this morning and afternoon.

Had to pull all the new stuff and put all the old stuff back on. That was this late afternoon. Had to go do float this evening.
    So that's what we get to run (again) this weekend.

My attitude should improve by Saturday, 'course it'll take another dip watching you guys race for the HAMBie.
    At least I'll still have a chance in O/W. Not much of one, but I'm not dead 'till I'm properly shot down. ;)

Hey Thingy, since you're not getting sliced & diced after all are you going to make the show? :cool:

So, February I get to make a pair of spacers and relug the axles a tad longer.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  29. ThingyM

ThingyM

Hey Dick... Yea, I'll probably be there, But only as a spec-tater.. On the way home from Merced, My twuk decided to have a siesure..It's still in the horse-pistol.. might get it back today.. See ya up there....

30. leeberz

leeberz
    from fresno ca

gotta mess with it i like when people ask "WHAT KINDA AUTOMATIC ARE YA RUNNIN IN THAT THING?" hahahahahaha gotta speed kick it buddy