Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heaters for a full size car?!?!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by COS, Oct 19, 2009.

1. COS

COS
    from KCMO

Did a search and didn't get all the info I need.. I have a 48 2-dr chevy and looking for a good heater with defrost.. What have you all used in full size car that worked good??? Most other post are talking about small two door hot rods or trucks...

-COS

2. moontanker

moontanker
    from tn.

Any old truck heaters 6 volt blow great on 12 and are easy to find.

3. Swifster

Swifster

I would think that an original Chevy heater would work just fine. Chev's of the '40's has NOS heater motors (6V) and 12V motors, ducts, knobs, etc. Make a shopping list and start making calls.

4. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

ya i was takin it out for a test spin on a 85 degree day and the heater worked very well. Later I figured out how to fix the fan controll.:D
    During the winter though I did a quick test run with 40 degree air and the windows open. Perfectly warm. I believe studes of the early 50s are known for their good heaters.

5. 65-72 Ford truck heaters work great, self-contained, 12 volt, with defrost hookups , get the 3 speed switch with it.

6. If your using a 12 volt system i pulled one out of a dodge omni ( mid-80's model ) for $20.00. Put it in a 41 chevy two door sedan and it worked great. You do have to cut on the housing to get the shape that you want, but it's plastic and pretty damn easy to work with.

7. FWIW, fresh air intake is imperative for effective defroster operation. Use of A/C will help with defrosting, but it sounds like you aren't going that route.

And my '51 Olds had a wonderful heater.

Cosmo

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I bet a heater out of a 48 chevy would work. lots of heaters on ebay these days.

one thing about defrost... if your car did not have a heater installed previously you may not have the defroster vent parts... look up inder the dash. there will be one on each side.

I believe in 48 the standard heater still had a seperate motor for the defrost function. it mounted on top... something else to think about.

9. COS

COS
    from KCMO

I have the factory under dash "defrost" unit that I switched out a 12v motor on works ok but just doesn't get it hot in there....

I have no room for the factory underseat anymore.. but thanks for the tip..

I will check in to it... I seen with my searches that the Mojave heater works good but will it heat a big car like mine??

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Do an ebay search for heater under antique parts. This one popped up. I have a similar on in my Plymouth coupe and it will drive you out on full with all the flaps open.
    We were out Sat in 40 degree air and very comfprtable.

The only draw back is the defroster is moving cabin air so it redeposits moisture back on the window if its damp out. But it gets warm enough that driving withthe vent windows open isn't a problem. If you could duct some fresh air to the area by the heater, it might improve the situation.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1935...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3ca67ffe44