Register now to get rid of these ads!

EXK Kustoms, 1949 Merc build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EXK, Oct 14, 2009.

1. We are building the frame for it first. We have highly modified the stock merc frame to use our front a-arms with our air ride suspension. It will be powerd by an 632ci BBC coupled to a built 4L8OE transmisson. We are using motor plates to mount the motor and transmission due to the out ragous tork this motor puts out. The ford 9" rear end has been beefed up and has a set of new 3.25 gears. We also are using willwood 12.25" dia disc brakes front & rear to help stop this beast.

Attached Files:

2. send_it_all

send_it_all

Huh....Fuckin Killer!!!

Where in So cal are you located, EXK?

3. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Hey Rick, I've seen a couple pictures of oyur rear set up but I never see an external shock with the rear bags. Do you run one?

4. pinky49

pinky49

i really like all your work!! and don't take offense to this, but you are going to have to step up to some stronger rear supension if that thing has all that power. i've torn up decent 4 links with only 600ft. lbs., so maybe look at the rear a little differently than your other builds.
    just an opinion and no offense intended, ed

5. Yes we use external mounted shocks front and rear. Here's a few pic's of a finished frame.

Attached Files:

6. I've put 680-867rwhp thru a 31 spline 9" it was okay.

7. atomickustom

atomickustom

I think he meant the suspension arms and mounts, not the diff or axles. I can see some of that stuff bending or breaking under serious power.

8. Hey Ed, no offense taken. We have also seen a few toren up bagged 4 bar set up in the past with way less hp than this build. We switched to this ladder bar style about 8 years ago as it has many advantages over a 4 bar setup on bagged cars and IMO it's much stronger. We have put a few high horse power motors infront of these ladder bars with no failure yet. Due to this motor having so much brute torke like just under 800fts I made the main support of the ladder bar out of 2x2x.250 4130 where I normally use 2x2x.188 mild steel. I also increased the main pivot bolt from 9/16'' to 3/4"

9. ryno

ryno

not to be a dick, but.....
    at what point do you call it enough with all your free advertising on the hamb?
    it seems like every week you have a new build.
    i love air bags, all my cars have them, but every one of your builds is fuel injection, disk brakes, 4l80's, 700r's, etc.
    this a traditional hot rod and custom site.
    i can appreciate your shops talent, and your customers budgets, but come on man enough already.

why don't you step up and become an alliance vendor, or shit at least an alliance member and throw ryan some cash, after all this has been your cheapest advertising adventure.

10. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

i ll second that.

11. well done cars. not traditional.

12. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

i was waiting for some one to let him have it.

13. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I have yet to see Rick throw out his business number and address with his post. He believes in pushing the limits on what a traditional Kustom is and should be. Tradition is great but if efi pays the bills my customer will have efi on his car. I've known many big name builders who believe their work is too fucking good to take the time to share with us common folk. Here you have a guy throwing out ideas how to improve on whats been done, push the envelop on what a Merc could be, take heat from guys who have never assembled a 1/18 model and all you can tell him is give Ryan $50.00 bucks to post his thread.

I think it's great to see someone succeed at what he loves to do and be willing to share with everyone. It's that attitude the brings him the business he has. Before you talk shit I have to say I have never even met the dude. I have asked questions and he's always taken the time to express his opinion on something or point me in the right direction to get it done. Trust me, there are some builders out there that wouldn't give you the time of day.

Just me .02 for the day!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  14. Well said.

15. daddio211

daddio211

X2! Rick builds some INCREDIBLE stuff and is quick to share his methods and offer advice. Traditional hot rod? No. Traditional KUSTOM? Hell yes! Look at his finished products!

16. pinky49

pinky49

1/4" wall cm tubing should be up to the job. looking great as always.
    good luck with the rest of it, should be another looker
    ed

17. Ditto to them comments also.... Just wondering who is the dick here.
    I see nothing wrong with seeing what and how he builds his cars.
    I just sift through what is posted and use what is useful and discard the rest from my mind..
    Try it some time.

18. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

If you don't like the thread why not just hit the back button and move on? This guys builds may not be 100% traditional (I do see whitewalls and reverse chromes?) but I see a lot of awesome fabrication skills and ideas that we all can benefit from(thanks for sharing), and a '49 merc slammed on white walls certainly aint gonna ruin this site! A BUNCH OF DICKS WILL! The traditional fascist on this site are great! Kind of reminds me of one of those 100 point ACCA snobs who doesn't appreciate anything that is not 110% correct! or how 'bout one of those goldchainer musclecar guys with their heartbeat cap and loafers.....or how about that corvette guy with his matching anniversiary watch with matching chair, cooler and silk jacket! (probably fine people that are also supporting the classic car industry)Do the traditional fascist on this site know they are being just as obnoxious when they rag a builders stuff that doesn't fit into their "100 point traditional cookie cutter piecrust whitewall mold"? My cars always have some traditional elements and I build them myself(helped by this site's info), but I've met a lot of so called traditional car guys with tat's up to their ears,hair piled high, and a clean red rag in their back pocket that can barely change a starter without crossthreading the bolts. Some seem to spend more time policing this site and combing their hair than posting something productive that we all can benefit from.

19. ryno

ryno

[QUOTE=LIFESTYLZ;Just wondering who is the dick here.

that would be ME,and apparently a few others.
    trust me im not the least bit of the traditional police on this site, most of my builds are more lowrider,bellflower style then traditional. so guess what, i dont fuckin post them!!

im good with "rick" posting his shit here, but every week the dude has another build thread going.same shit.

20. ryno

ryno

21. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

another great way to mount the rear with bags and or coil springs is to use the trailing arms from 72 and older chevy pickups they will hold up to any power you can throw at them , Nascar still uses the same design on the cup cars . i used a set on a 40 ford and they looked like they belonged there , and cheap too

22. Sounds more like a personal issue you have with him, than anything to do with cars. JM2CW

This is why "lordz of kuztomz" doesn't bother coming here much either. Too many attacks.

23. ryno

ryno

never meet the dude, but i will be at sema and ill be in so cal also so you never know!

24. Hey Ryno you are welcome to your opions and even be a dick if you want to be. Just to let you know I donot have to advertise to get work !!!! I let my work speak for it self. It seams to be working fairly well as I have even more builds in the works than you know of. I have knowen of the hamb for many years but did not post anything as I though my work was to wild for this site. Over the years I have meet many hamber how have aske me to post some of our work. I am proud of my work & kustom style and if you donot like it thats ok with me. I have learened over the years the hard way of what works and what does not and if by me posting some of my builds here and someone sees somthing to make there build easier or gives them an insperation then that is what this site is all about IMO . I do make and sell alot of suspension parts for the 49-51 merc & ford but I donot post them here looking for free advertising. If I wanted free advertising I would say ok to every magazine that askes me to be in but I normally decline there offer unless I realy like there mag. Anyway I hope to meet you at sema and mybee you will have a differenet opion of me once you met me in person. My shop is always open to fellow hambers & kustom lovers how would like to see some of our work in person and that included you Ryno.
    Rick Erickson

25. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Hey Rick!! Where is your shop?? I would love to come check out some of your builds!!:)
    I won't bug you too long..... only for a few minutes!!
    Im new at building Kustoms and always willing to absorb some new info or tools i should get , etc....

Thanx

Ian

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting build EXK and I am sure that some of us who actually read it and studied the photos will learn something useful.

Many of these guys may forget that quite often builders on here have to build what the customer pays for even if it isn't what they drive themselves.

I always enjoy seeing the build stories from first rate builders even if they aren't always my cup of tea. If I learn something from looking at the posts, it has been a good day as I have always said it is a wasted day if you don't learn at least one thing new and useful.

It's not advertising to me because I don't do bags on my rigs and am not into tube control arms and I do all of my own work or it doesn't get done. No money to pay someone else on what I make not snobbery. But I will be watching for more in the future to see if I can learn one more thing that I can use.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

27. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

28. Slapnuts1975

Slapnuts1975
    from Tennessee