Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. codeblu

codeblu

Thank you. I was able to find additional pics after a more thourough search on my part.

2. (We're not that far from 15,000 posts in this thread!)

3. MoKanMan's Son

MoKanMan's Son

[​IMG]

Anyone know anything about this car? Seems to have an SVO front on it and I'd like to know at least who the driver was.

4. ETwagon

ETwagon
    from Arizona

Rickie Smith (?)

5. mooneye777

mooneye777
    BANNED
    from Indiana

6. mooneye777

mooneye777
    BANNED
    from Indiana

7. mooneye777

mooneye777
    BANNED
    from Indiana

8. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Awesome Mr. Norm tribute.........by the way look at that cool minibike above.

9. ardyboy

ardyboy

10. OhioRoyce

OhioRoyce
    from Ohio

Given the sponsorship on the car, I would say this was the brief period of time when Frank Iaconio was driving a Ford.

11. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

The Mr. Norm's Charger Funny Car is cool and all but its' a car I would much rather look at and admire than actually own. A Funny Car is something that you can forget about taking to the track by yourself as it requires a crew to maintain, prepare and drop the body down on you as a driver. Heck, the driver can't even start it! As much as I love vintage drag racing, it's gotta have doors for me!

12. ardyboy

ardyboy

stlouis--no friends? or doesn't play well with others.
    I like anything that fries the hides, makes noise and goes fast. If my wallet was thicker I'd get rid of our coffee table to make room for that Mr. Norms Charger

13. marfen

marfen
    from sask

here's a cool pic of a T built/raced by a couple of friends at Sask. International Raceway back in the early 70s. With a police interceptor 440 auto and home-made dual quad intake it ran low 12s/hi 11s. They still have it and are currently rebuilding it.

Attached Files:

14. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

[​IMG]
    Jim Van Cleve ran this car as part of the Budweiser / Motorcraft Super Team in Competition Eliminator with Kenny Bernstein and Frank Iaconio. Above is a picture of the car "brand new" at the 85 Winternationals. Below at Indy in 86.
    [​IMG]

15. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

More Super TEAM Cars
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

Check out the Mini Bike on the truck, looks like a Taco 22..
    [​IMG]

17. olympic2

olympic2

Van Cleve always had nice machines, his Fairlanes graced the SS scene here in the NW for quite awhile. Never knew what happened after that, thanks for the enlightenment!

18. Here are 2 very significant pics just surfaced after sitting in a box for 47 years.
    These are the only known color pics of Jack Chrismans M/T HEMI Pontiac powered rail. This is at Indy 1962 US Nationals. What is even more significant is this is NOT the M/T HEMI Pontiac powered rail he won Indy with, but a second one. He apparantely drove 2 M/T HEMI Pontiac rails in Top Eliminator at the same event. Crazy and wildy rare stuff here.
    I have a collection of these heads plus the only known remaining complete M/T HEMI Pontiac engine. All were blown.

Steve

Hosting-
    Pontiac/Buick/Olds FALL FEST Sat Nov 28, 2009 Phoenix
    www.pbofallfest.org
    12th annual Pontiac Heaven April 8-11, 2010 Phoenix
    www.pontiacheaven.org
    8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! April 11, 2010 Phoenix
    www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  19. From the same batch of pics, here is Don Garlilts prior to a pass in his wedge gas burner, also at Indy '62.

Steve

Hosting-
    Pontiac/Buick/Olds FALL FEST Sat Nov 28, 2009 Phoenix
    www.pbofallfest.org
    12th annual Pontiac Heaven April 8-11, 2010 Phoenix
    www.pontiacheaven.org
    8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! April 11, 2010 Phoenix
    www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

Attached Files:

20. tomjac

tomjac

Thanks for sharing these great pics and the Garlits one as well. I'm 62 and never owned a streetrod until 5 years ago ('30 ford, now a 37 Pont coupe). I am still trying to figure out why the fascination with Altereds, diggers etc. I sometimes think of the quote by the late Indian Larry; "I like the mechanical-ness...."...and I think that is it. The old stuff is simplicity and raw and they all had character.

21. abefromen

abefromen

22. WCD

WCD

The black modified fuel roadster depicted in the lower right quadrant
    belonged to a local speed shop not far from my home town. Ed Taylor, owner of ET Auto Parts of Pomona owned the Olds powered fuel burner. Car was very quick in that it was able to qualify in a few local top fuel shows too. He won the roadster title at 66 Smokers Meet

23. Being this is a drag cars in "motion" thread, here is a clip I put on YouTube recently of us "kids" just out of high school in the 70's doing a spur of the moment street race. We stopped traffic on RT 21 in NJ - (a long time favorite local drag stretch of road by "Rutts Hut" until Hot Rod magazine had a story on it) and filmed it on a very early portable backpack video system. Quality isn't the best but it is viewable. I had a 66 Ford Custom with a 427 sideoiler 14:1 motor & detroit locker with 4:88 rear. My friend Jack had the 68 Roadrunner with a 1966 Cast iron 440 from an Imperial in it, an old AVS, single valve springs and point distributor and a 8 3/4 rear w/ 3.23 gears. I won by a nose at the overpass when I finally put it into 4th! Kick myself every day for 35 years for selling mine. Its just a 30 sec, clip. Enjoy the show....John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7HV8AGypDw

24. Dog427435

Dog427435

25. englishhemi32

englishhemi32

best video on youtube!

26. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

Your welcome, Yes he had some awesome Fords back when. I would really appericate some pictures of those.

27. That is Jim VanCleve's "Bud Super Team" comp eliminator Mustang. He is from up near Seattle and owns a Ford Dealership today. Smallblock/stick lots of rpm's!!!

oops, didn't see the previous reply....

28. HKH

HKH
    from CA

29. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Wow, you erased all your photos before they lasted one day?

30. HenryJGuy

HenryJGuy
    from Dayton, TN

Taken at Paradise Drag Strip in Calhoun, GA.

[​IMG]