Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who Remembers CARtoons..?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wingnutz, Dec 23, 2003.

1. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

HELP!!!

I had my letter published in that Car Toons magazine when I was like 12 or 13 years old. Late 80's or early 90's. Don't remember what issue it was. When I saw it in there I freaked out. I thought I was famous.

Can anyone check for me and let me know what issue my letter is in? The letter starts out " hey duds, ooops I mean dudes"

Stupid? I know. I was young.

My name is Shane Henderson <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Great mag That's how I learned to draw.Krass and bernie are cool I don't have any issues anymore .Threw my fortune away when I was about 15 along with rare comic book collection .The neighbor across the street gave me many 1st issues of batman and superman comic books and me the stupid ass kid I was threw them in the trash.I miss most Cartoons

3. aceuh

aceuh

Shane,

Get your story straight! The letter ended with the "duds" remark not started with it.

You'll be looking for a copy from December of 88 that will look like this...

[​IMG]

And just to refresh your memory...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope this brought back some memories for ya! If I had an extra copy I'd hook ya up but sadly this is my only copy of this issue. If I run up on another I'll be sure to give ya a shout!

4. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

HOLY COW !! Thank you!

That brings back some memories, wow. I have not seen that for 15 or 20 years. I was 13 when I wrote that (kind of embarrassing) what a dork I was....:eek: :eek: :eek:

5. aceuh

aceuh

Here's another one for ya buddy...

[​IMG]

6. Conder

Conder

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU MAN. I can still remember sitting at my aunt Martha's kitchen table drawing that. Sure miss that magazine.

7. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Pete's widow and daughter will be at the CHRR...visit them at their CARtoons booth behind the stands at the grove...

8. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

I'm still lookin for this issue
    anyone got one and willing to part with it cheap

Attached Files:

9. retromotors

retromotors

Hmmmm ...."Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers".

Tsk ....!

Didn't one of them have some kinda dorky cat?;)

10. Yeah K&b always got the chicks. The scalloped car dried with matches ended up with a wierd "scaled" effect wich was of course a big hit. Ah the memories... Most of my friends didn't understand the iron ons I wore.

11. aceuh

aceuh

Another iron on...

[​IMG]

12. I loved that mag! I grew up reading my mags in my dad's shop, and he got a kick out of them too!

13. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

DUDE!!! EASY NOW. :confused:That was/is the coolest mag ever. I wish I still had mine. I was digging around in my storage (moms basement) last year and discovered ALL my old car mags AND Hotwheels were gone!:eek: Sad sad day, ruined Thanksgiving too!

14. HEY! i remember long before those Krass and Bernie guys

nothing GAY about Car toons

i grew up reading about Unk and the varmits

15. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

Thanks for the website info Claymart. I ordered one of the books. O'lady gonna think I flipped...

16. aceuh

aceuh

I found this one for ya while I was going through my extra issues tonight. I thought the style looked similar to your other drawing.

[​IMG]

17. Conder

Conder

Holy.....It's like I'm 12 again!!!!!!!!!!! It took 'em forever to print that and at least as long to pay me! YEAH!!!!! They paid me!!!!!!!!! SO cool.

CARTOONS MAGAZINE BABY! Thanks to them and you ACEUH. Just awesome.

18. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

1) i don't think K+B were/are gay. Although you do have to wonder about 2 grown men living together and sleeping in the same room etc. But even if they are gay who cares?

2) In the case of G. Trosley also doing work for that "other" magazine i never had a problem with it or thought it was awkward or shocking because he still does it with class. Nothing really tacky about it.

19. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

Grew up reading CarToons & CycleToons when I was a kid.

20. Diana The Doc

Diana The Doc
    from New York

There's no denying that CARtoons holds a firm place of its own in drag racing history... The CARtoons myspace site is kinda groovy, I haven't visited there in quite some time, but I definitely think it's neat that there's a myspace site dedicated to honoring the memory of the CARtoons 'zine... Although I must admit, I find it to be somewhat disturbing and even disheartening to realize that in these "modern" times, its would be practically impossible for a publication similar to CARtoons to even survive on the magazine rack, that's a bit depressing... I guess the days of when youth would run to the corner magazine store to spend their GRIT paper route money on an issue of CARtoons are long gone, kind of a shame, isn't it?... Thanks to all who've contributed to this thread... "The Doc" (Celebrity Drag Racing Authority & Visionary)...

21. Joe Grippo

Joe Grippo

I don't think Krass and Bernie are gay....Wilbur maybe, but not K&B.

[​IMG]

22. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

Nelson Dewey was the cartoonist. I just found his website and he's trying to get things squared around to sell some of his drawings. The panic stop is shown on the site, along with several others.

http://carzy.ca/blog/?p=253

23. sinks88

sinks88

Same here!!! I sure hope that suit case held up, after I jammed all my CARtoons and Mad mags. in there!

24. sinks88

sinks88

I totally have to go to the parents now, and DIG THESE OUT!

25. I'd kind of forgotten about about that site myself, but the Holidays will be here before you know it. Maybe I can scrape up a little "discretionary" income and get myself a copy for Christmas.

And thanx, hustlinhillbilly, for the Nelson Dewey link. It's good to know that some of these guys are still out there knockin' 'em out. Here's a link to NED's site with a Top Ten List of his 13 most favorite cartoonists. Don't worry about his math, just check out some great art work.

http://carzy.ca/?p=360

26. Doktor Hug

Doktor Hug

man, I miss that. Mine are still buried somewhere at my mom's house.

27. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Millar was great

I may have missed this one but here is a link that many should appreciate:

http://www.laffyerasphalt.com/

you may see Millars daughter at a show - she is really nice

28. I haven't seen my collection since 1975 and which got lost when I got back from the Military...

So a couple years ago when I started this thread just to see if someone had an "Iron On" that lasted more than 2 washings!!!!

Man... you guys keep everything!

29. 85-percent

85-percent

post #161 - artist is monte wolverton, drawing is very much in the style of basil wolverton, who did some work for Mad magazine when it first came out in the early fifties.

kewl.

-90% jimmy

30. Was going through some boxes of car mags I have and came across this. I believe I picked it up at a garage sale 20yrs ago. The copyright date is 1960. Enjoy

Attached Files: