Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT: Anyone drive a '70s wagon every day?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Freiburger, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freiburger

Freiburger

My new drive to work is 1.5 hours instead of 30 minutes. I caved in and decided I need a/c and an automatic. I could not live with a NEW car (post-'75).

I just picked up a '72 Plymouth Satellite wagon that's MINT with a big-block. So cool.

2. Kerry67

Kerry67

Cool. Lets see some pics. I'd love to have a wagon w/ A/C for my daily. 70's wagons are cool to me because that is what my dad drove when I was growing up.

3. Freiburger

Freiburger

Just drove it home minutes ago. No pics yet. But it has woodgrain, so you know it's good.

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

I dunno. 1 1/2 hours and I needed air? (understandable). I think I would go with something that got decent fuel mileage and saved up for a small plane.

With a BB 72 Mopar wagon with air, it shouldn't take long to cover it.

5. Freiburger

Freiburger

I can't drive junk with zero soul. The woodside Mopar gets close to having character.

6. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I use to have a 1977 Chrysler Town & Country wagon with big block . Got about 15 miles per gallon in town and 20+ on the open road . Wasn't worth a shit for a stop light drags but could carry all the people I wanted to in it ! Also had a 65 chevelle wagon but that was a different story .

Sounds like a nice score that you have !
    Got any picture ?

RetroJim

7. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

First car I remember was a wagon mom and dad had, but it could have been late 60s. Remember dad trying to smoke us out with his cigars/pipes.

8. 61TBird

61TBird

Post Pics so we can Really tell you how good of a buy it is :D:D:D

9. Remember sitting on dads lap "Driving" our 440 powered Town & Country up & down the driveway . . . miss ya Dad.:rolleyes:

10. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

it certainly has more character than driving something new. i live three blocks from work so mine doesnt make that trek very often.

11. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

I'm sure it has character but [​IMG]
    It will sure beat driving some econobox to work. Gotta be able to get at least 20MPG on the highway out of it with a little work.

12. mark 55

mark 55

78 Malibu wagon. Was the Brady wagon built in Chevy High Performance several years ago. Nice choice on your wagon.

13. I think you better go take some pictures. the flames are spreading.

14. spook498

spook498

Sounds like a cool ride!

I would like to find a late 60s/early 70s Chevy wagon, with the back fold down seats that when flipped up, face backwards. To torture my kids and tell them that "You dont know where we're going, but you know where we've been!"

Post pics when ya get a chance!

15. Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

Couldn't you have found one with a 318 and just tossed a $5 out the window every few minutes to make up the difference?

I drove a big block NewYorker briefly when I was a kid. It had some ungodly huge gas tank in it. I ran it out of gas in one day, and I didn't even go anywhere!

16. Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

By the way, how far is an hour and a half drive in L.A.?

17. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I drive a HAMB-friendly wagon, '56 Nomad. More than 250,000 miles so far, in 18 years.

18. Soviet

Soviet

'73 Buick Estate Wagon here. Drove it daily for about a year and a half until gas prices went over $4. I remember filling up for $80/tank. That hurt. I will without a doubt also build a '67 Linc Continental Convert in the future to be a daily - gotta love the boats!
    [​IMG]

19. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I drive a '91 Caprice wagon (best car.....EVER) dailey and have arthritis like a 70's yr old. Does that count?

20. 61TBird

61TBird

Depending on which Freeway,it could be anywhere from 20-60 miles:D

21. Yeah, seventies wagons were the coolest of the big boats. My family had several, I remember my dad having one that he bought from the burbank il, fire chief, red with siren and all.
    Whanna talk cool? let's talk 3rd seats!!! Sitting in the 3rd seat faCING OUT THE BACK WINDOW WASS the coolest but then again alot of kids died from rear end collisions that way. I remember one wagon where the seats opened like barn doors and faced each other, one on each side.
    I'd love to see a third seat topic thread. Can anyone suggest where to find one? Boy, its a thrill to see one nowadays!!!

22. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My absolute earliest memory is when I was barely 2 yrs old. We (dad and me) went to Apllegate Chevrolet and picked up a new '77 Impala wagon. This was Sept, 1977. Man, what a car. Red, red vinyl, 305, HEI that burned a hole through the cap. Dad trade it in 1985 for a GMC Safari van. That van was cool (my high school ride :) but that wagon ruled! That's one of the reasons I have 3TONFUN now.

23. i drove a 68 sattillite new for 8 years with a 318 and was the fastest car I needed.Can't imagine a big block.

24. Phoenix52

Phoenix52

OH HELL YES!

I have a great original 1974 Plymouth Satellite everyday driver. This Sport Wagon is a rock solid 4 door, excellent brown leather inside, burnt orange/cinnamin pearl color outside, 318 ci w/ 2 barrel carb, auto on column, PS, PDB in front, drums rear, cold AC. Car was painted about 4 years ago - NO RUST. Just rebuilt the front end. New tires on 15" chrome reverse wheels w/ baby moons. In town traffic it gets 18 mph if you keep your foot out of the carb. Really is a nice car, cruises like a cadillac and rides down the highway at 75 like a semi. Anyone interested in taking this Land Yacht on a Family Vacation? Could be yours for the right offer...:)

Attached Files:

25. Freiburger

Freiburger

Got photos. Coming soon.

26. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I drive an '97 Grand Marquis 20 minutes to work each day. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

27. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Until recently, I was driving a '94 Roadmaster Estate. I'm in the process of selling it to a 19 year old, who would rather drive big American iron than Honda Civics (which his father doesn't understand!). There is hope for the youth of America![​IMG]

28. VectorGES

VectorGES
    from Conway, SC

I had a '72 Olds Vista Cruiser, with the second little windshield up top. 350, 4 barrel. It got 15 mpg running city, or towing a ton of fire wood. Didn't matter.

What kind of mileage does a 91 Caprice wagon get? (or Buick Road master)?

29. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

I rarely get motion sickness but I nearly blew chunks in the 3rd seat of my uncle's 79 Caprice wagon. Yup, the novelty wore off pretty quick.

The seats that faced each other was in the Ford Country Squire. My best friend's parents had one. A '72 model I think.

30. Tony

Tony

My pop's has a 79 Chevy Estate wagon..brown with woodgrain and all. For some reason i always thought that car was cool...even though it wasn't..haha.
    My aunt had a 72 Vista too. That car was cool!
    Although this isn't a 70's ride, i always thought the 65 Malibu 2 door wagons were killer..one of them would make a great all around car..and look good doin in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.