Register now to get rid of these ads!

Magnets pileup 09

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magnet, Oct 15, 2009.

1. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

I'd like to add a positive note about the people leaving between 3ish and 5. I was the Czar standing at the exit road were it met Rt.47. And as many of you guys driving a hot rod or custom that I could catch your eye I gave a smile and wave. And those that could hear my hoarse, ragged voice I thanked again for coming. And 100% of you waved back and I even heard a few "you guys kick ass" comments. That's the Pile Up. You guys. DRIVING your cars. I know it was hell getting out. And I'm not really sure about the reason behind the whole late-lunch type exodus, but the majority of the guys/gals DRIVING their cars were more than happy to wait a few minutes. And drive out SAFELY.

I was surprised to see your smile when you ducked down to thank me for coming. Made my day. Girl friend was cold and needed to warm up. We both had a great time. It was my fourth year attending and second year entering. Great Job!!!!!!!!!!

2. WickedA346

WickedA346

It was a great show this year, and you know what from inside we couldn't see any of the commotion on 47. See ya guys at next years pile-up (maybe with a car) and a few times before. Big thanks to Kansas for his hospitality to us!

3. Deadbird

Deadbird

It's been said many time, but I'll say it again. The Chrome Czars rock! You all did a great job. Maybe next year the malcontents will stay away. Who needs 'em anyway?

Jesse and I hope to join the red shirt army one of these years (maybe next). Stinking joint custody gets in the way right now. We're just glad his mom gives him the extra day with dad. The Pile Up is a show we won't miss.

4. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Czars, it's hard to say something that hasn't already been said. You guys are great and put on a hell of a show, one that I hope I never miss in the years to come. Of all the shows that I attend, the Hunnert is the one I look forward to the most! This year was my first as a vendor, and although I had little time to check out the cars and the action outside, I still had a great time just meeting people. It was great meeting old friends and making new ones as well.

The Red Shirt Army and DW- damn! You guys rule! Fantastic job to all of you! Thanks again for a great show!

5. Well I thought all this time it was my charm and good looks then tommy Read somewhere if you want any privalages offer magnet a beer well,all I can say Is this is my 3rd time to your show and everybody makes us feel welcome and part of the crew. And that's all the privaliges I need thanks for a awesome show. And a special thanks to mark and gina antilano for taking us on that tour of illinios. And yes dw next year I will volunteer I can't speak for tom but I'm sure he will too. Hey there's free pbr involved hell it seems to go good with all the stuff that we were drinking to stay warm. Think you could pay the heating bill for next year it was to dam cold this year.
    Its deafinitly is worth the 14 hour drive HOTRODED

6. Mr Grim

Mr Grim
    from Chicago,IL

I've been a spectator since pileup#2 and i agree with the comments on the cars rods etc... being a step-up every year it was a hell of a show,granted we got there late about 1pm road construction coming south on 47 but the guys and gals working the lot got us right in and into a spot in about 5 seconds flat.Coming to the gate was a foreshadowing of the rest of the day a line at the entrance to get in wow had never seen that before but again the red shirts got us in asap and to my surprise the free beer was flowing so i grabbed my girl and my bud but the collar beet feet and got pbr'd asap:) Then it was off to the vendors area and then the rest of the show.I was happy to see that the show had almost filled up the overflow in the back lot means the czar's and their crew had been tirelessly promoting the show and again has never let me down.The mix of custom's,traditional rods and drag cars has to be the best in the chicagoland area and the mix of people that arrive is as diverse as any show get if not more,people just show up to see a car show and get educated on the things that they never would even think about outloud in daylight.The food vendors kept their pace and got people feed and warm and through attrition we found out that thai/chinese food makes for pretty good car show food who woulda thunk it.Now the mass exodus at 3pm was strange to say the least,we were just getting though the center of the show and cars stared to pack up and head for the gate then the rumors started flying that the state/county mounties had shut the show down due to overcrowding who knew? but looking at the line in the lot we knew that it was going to be awhile before it cleared so no big deal walked out hung out in the parking lot until it was about half empty got in line and again the red shirts were there to assist us in filling in line and within 5 minuets we were out the gate and dropping my pop off where he parked.I know this reads like "what I did on my summer vacation" but I have to say there has been nothing to detour me from making sure I attend this show,the red shirts this year put it over the top making sure everyone was organized,parked,paid up etc...I could go on but this is too long already so again thanks to the czar's the red shirt army for making the show what it is.

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

props to John and Dustin. You guys get it, understand the situation and can relate. IMHO it was the MEN that made it so smooth at the South Gate. Always a pleasure to see you both...and of course Sue and Amanda as well.

Thanks to all who put this on. It is always a great time/great venue. Will be there again next year. Hope to see you before then.

8. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I enjoyed my self working the south gate parking, would do it again tomorrow , the participants were great and happy we were there to help them get parked. i did not get to see the back up on 47, once my shift was done we started to mingle. We left around 7:00 ish and no traffic. Loved the show will be back again next year no matter where it is.
    Czars great job, Mike, get the out side parkers bigger sticks with smaller flags. I'm thinking Louisville Slugger size....LOL just kidding.

9. Al smiled? Unbelievable!!!!

10. I will definitely be back next year, hoping to have the Plymouth done so it can come out and play. I hope that the pile-up doesn't become a victim of it's own success. I would hate to see it ruined just because it has been "discovered" by the mainstream media and all the wanna-be rodders.

It seems to me that the problems were caused by the overload of spectators and SUV's in the parking lot, not by the participants and hotrods inside the fence. Simple solution...price the spectators out of the market. $20 to park your SUV in the lot, and $30 admission if you want to join the party and "be part of the scene". If you drive your jalopy - $5 and a cold PBR! Problem solved! On a more practical note, maybe look into some off-site parking for the spectators and utilize shuttle busses to alleviate some of the congestion.

Whatever happens, the Czars need to take a break, catch their breath, pat themselves on the back...and then GET BACK TO WORK on the '10 pileup!

11. Thanks guys.
    My first year as a Red Shirt and I'll be back.

I got a couple good deals at the swap too.

Keep up the good work.
    TZ

12. bscottstudio

bscottstudio
    from Kansas

Well Said Kevin!! The Chrome Czars have my total respect. We have bee a vendor inside for three years and you always treat us great. The people that come to the pileup are some of the most courteous customers we see all year long.
    Don't let a few put a downer on a great cause.
    Thanks B-Scott

13. The Bubba's Hot Rod Shop guys and Swiss guys thought the parking went a lot smoother this year in the AM. But as they saying goes, you can't cram 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag. Once we filled the lot we had no choice but to send spectators down to entrance 3, and weed out hot rods, motorcycles and handicap cars. Once 11 rolled around the two sherrifs just shook their heads as the line was all the way back to I80. While talking to us, Mike and Joe they shut down entrance one and coned it off.

We love doing it and all in all thought it went smoother vs. last year... at least up until 11. :D Can't wait to do it all over again in 2010!

14. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Like said before, I think everything has been said already! I personally had a blast and am planning on getting a vendor spot for next year. I talked to Sinclair and he thought we should have all the Hamb artists line up along the same wall or row. That would be pretty cool. I can't imagine all the planning involved in a show of this caliber. My hats off to the Czars!!!!!

15. Hellfish

Hellfish

Hmmmm.... I really like this idea. Someone else suggested opening the "art building" to vendors. I'm not sure if that's possible yet, but it would be a prefect place for the paintslingers of the HAMB.

Keep the ideas coming, y'all.

16. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

SORRY, i have to admit i was one of the peole leaving around 2 ish. How about next year if things work out I'll help with the show. Had a great time as usuall. Thanks for the good time..jones

17. AngRi

AngRi

Al was DA MAN! I was there doing my Red Shirt shift with Al (and Czar Lucky), and he had the words, the attitude, everything nailed. He was very polite in keeping the gate closed. And he worked the gate from 11am till the end!

I was the lucky one who got to smile and wave back to people exiting...

18. 55_nail

55_nail

man i love the pile-up....hell of a good time i enjoy every minute from the anticipation of getting inline in the morning to looking for that one ride that just blows my mind..... In fact i know i wasn`t the only one who had no idea what was going on "on the outside"....to busy looking at bad ass rods and customs and sharing laughs with good friends.

Much respect to all that are involved in putting on this great get together.

19. LordoftheDance

LordoftheDance
    from Fargo, ND

A BIG THANK YOU to the Czars for putting on another great show! I worked with wowcars at the North Gate doing inspections, and yeah there were assholes who didn't get in, but it was worth it!! I hope myself and the rest of the Suede's can keep coming back each year. We love volunteering for a great show and a great club. Keep up the good work guys and gals!! Blaine (Lord of the Dance) Suede's rule....

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The first 48 posts says it all. Thank you sincerely Czars, Catherine, and the red shirts. I don't know how you do it, just very glad you do. I missed the first but have managed to make the rest....................won't miss another if i'm on this side of the grass.

Frank Burrell

21. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

Thanks for posting your message Magnet. I appreciate hearing you weigh in on this year's event, etc; It WAS another great event this year as usual. Every year a group of us get together to do our "Hot Rod entourage" up I-55 to the Pileup. This year there were 12 of us! We always run together in a convoy (that's my favorite part of coming up) and have breakfast in Dwight, Ill at a place called "Pete's". It's basically a Greek Restaurant that's been around forever, and serves the most kick-ass omelets in the world! Anyway, it's ALWAYS worth the run to get to the Pileup. Every year you guys top the year before! I did, however see the fuure "growth" of this event posing a problem. I saw it a couple of Pileups ago! It was inevitable. It doesn't require a Rocket Scientist to figure out the probability of your Event becoming "unmanageably large" at the rate it was moving in terms of attendence. All it means is more planning strategies are necessary to address the problems and develop a solution. I'm hard pressed to render any 'quick-fix' solutions for now. I do have faith in your ability to deliver an Epic, and huge, well-organized Event. You damn near have to fly over the grounds to address the issues of probable traffic. Maybe allowing vehicles in (if you don't already) on the Friday night prior would help. As for the "spectator problem" I don't have a clue! It's just so unpredictable, and you can bet ALL these threads are being read by folks all over the map who'd LOVE to be at next year's Pileup as a result of simply hearing about all this! If I can emerge with any brainstorms anytime soon, I know I can contact you as well as a few other Czars and offer up an idea or two. The Hunnert Car Pileup is an amazingly cool event that hundreds (if not thousands) of us out here really look forward to each year. I'm convinced that's one fact that's not about to change anytime soon! Thanks again to you & your's. I for one, appreciate all you have done. It was another dynamite year! Good Luck in the future!

22. magnet

magnet

< mission impossible music >
    Hmmm you have my interest.. let me think... a crack special ops team of traditional hot rodders .. deployed behind enemy lines.. like at Good Guys shows.. all distinguishable by their fancy red pants. Spreading the gospel of doing it "Just like the 50's Bro" and stealing their hot cougar ol ladies..

:)

< / mission impossible music >

23. im good at those kinds of things mike we do i voluneteer
    < /more mission impossible music >[/QUOTE]

24. Appleseed

Appleseed

In 2009 a crack hot rod commando team was shut down by the police for a crime the didn't commit. These men promptly escaped to a fully stocked 3 car garage were they survive today as rodders of fortune.

If you have a car show

if no one else can help

and if you can bribe them (with PBR)

Maybe you can hire the Red Pants Army.

25. BoPeep

BoPeep

Hilarious!!!

26. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Felt compelled to post again as I just want to reinforce an idea thats been mentioned. I think you could eliminate some of the crowding buy increasing the gate price. Like others have said $15-$20/per would keep a lot of folks away. It would have to be advertised well in advance and you'll still get the whinners. Increased gate might keep the crowd down and if it did you'd still end up with as much or more total gate for your charity deal.

Frank

27. It was a GREAT show as always ( still my favorite even though I couldn't feel my toes all day). Got there early.. .left late. Had no clue that there were problems. You guys did a great job!! We got parked in the back because we got there early... had a nice concrete pad out of the mud. THANKS to everyone for all the hard work that makes HCPU what it is!!!!

28. CraigKrage

CraigKrage
    from central IL

That's funny I was 2 cars from you and I watched you drive in to his parked car and then I watched you almost get your ass handed to you.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  29. magnet

magnet

The only problem is this.. most spectators pay after they park their cars and walk up to the gate.. if they decide to not pay the money to get in.. they get in their cars and leave.. doubling the problem we have of traffic.. both in and out of the fairgrounds. Even if we advertise... there will still be a ton of people coming and then leaving.

We would sort of have the same problem with shuttle buses.. no one want s to park remote.. they all think they should be up front.. no matter how many signs you put up.. and the minute that it gets congested near the lot.. the shuttle buses are dead in the water.

30. I Drag

I Drag

I've been reading these HCUP threads, and I must commend the Czars (and others involved) for being such level-headed, mature, sensible people.

I understand the challenges you had at your event, and yet you've all kept your cool in your posts.

Well done, and best wishes for the future.