Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kustoms gurus...Got a LED Light question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BBobb, Oct 16, 2009.

1. BBobb

BBobb

I am going to attempt to use a couple of 3 inch long x 2 1/2 inch wide at the base chrome bullets for front parking/ directional lights using led's inside them for the brightness.I don't want to cut much off of the bullet tip,so my question would be

1.Is there some sort of bullet design tip (very small) led out there i can fit from the inside and not lose the shape of the bullet

2. Or possibly a pin head led i could simply drill a small hole an fit it from the inside with only a small head protruding out

Thanks for any help

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Most LEDs are either 3mm or 5mm diameter. You'll need more than 1 to be seen. I'm not sure what you're trying to do.......

3. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

ive made a project and used a 1mm fibre optic ran to the led thats hidden away...the fibre optics bend around gentle curves and carry the full light no probs

4. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

This is a good question but somehow I think this is going to get ugly in a little bit.....

5. BBobb

BBobb

This is a custom build,not a chainer nor a tuner.I have mounted a early 50's caddy bumper and a very nice 57 caddy upper grill bar with reversed dummy lights that i seen here on the hamb.These bullets are going to replace the running lights on the 53 buick headlights i grafted into the front fenders.I am using the leds to have peice of mind that the oncoming traffic will be sure to see my turn signal,otherwise the effort would be useless.

6. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

LED's aren't very bright individually...

what I would get is some of the LED strips they sell, prewired cut to length and wrap them up and fit them inside the bullets... should be able to wrap a whole bunch in there...

7. squirrel

squirrel

single LEDs come in many different brightness levels, the 3 watt single Luxeon LEDS are way bright....they also dissipate 3 watts, so you need to pay attention to how you mount them, use a heat sink so they won't melt. Problem is they usually come on a mounting plate, because of the heat sink requirements. And the best power supply for them is a switcher, not the typical current limiting resistor.

8. GaryM

GaryM

BBob
    I'm not entirely sure what you need, but look at this site to see if there is a product you can use:
    http://autolumination.com/
    Gary