Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hello from Wisconsin

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by PhilJohnson, Oct 14, 2009.

1. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Been lurking around here for quite a while. I am not really much of a hot rodder myself but I enjoy looking at them and seeing other people put them together. What I do is more along the lines of "Cubanizing". I get an old car and get it (mostly) road worthy with what is cheap and lying around. The closest thing to a hot rod I had was a Ford Ranger with a 302 that I bought that way. It was fun but not really what I would consider a traditional hot rod. I have had a string of 50s-60s cars and trucks most of which I drove as daily drivers even in the snow. The last older car I was driving was a 63 Rambler, blew up on me coming back from a Doctor's appointment about a month ago. That one got sold and gave me some funding for another project/driver.

I have a soft spot for late 40s and early 50s cars. Ever since I gave my dad a 54 Packard Clipper for his birthday I have been wanting another early 50s car. Found a cheap little 53 Willys Aero Lark two door sedan. So far I have 500 into it with hauling it (that was an adventure in itself). I want to get the car road worthy in about a month or so. It is pretty rusted underneath. The little flathead six runs like a top so it'll remain in the engine bay until it blows up.....

Don't really fit much with most old car people in the area or on the net for that matter. Most of the old car scene in my area is old farts bragging about how their car is more original than when it left the factory :rolleyes: While most people build their stuff low I lift my cars. All my cars including the old ones see a bit of use on some of the really bad and rutted up dirt back roads around my house. Stuff does break so it keeps getting upgraded until it quits breaking ;) There are pot holes big enough to break a-arms off of a car around here and sometimes I'll come across random car parts in the middle of the road :eek:

If what I am doing don't sit well with the rest of you real hotrodders/customizers or it doesn't quite fit with the overall theme of this board I'll just won't post anything about my old car fun. I'll just keep doing what I have been doing for the past 6 months, sneaking around this board and admiring some of the awesome work people do around here :)

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

welcome from Jefferson

3. Carguy365-24-7

Carguy365-24-7

Welcome from the Fox valley!

4. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome from western Wisconsin - New Richmond.

Thor

5. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Welcome from Fondy

6. Gerg

Gerg

welcome from Sheboygan

7. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Welcome from Antigo

Nice intro, even if you don't have a HAMB friendly car you are still welcome.

B:)B

8. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Thanks. I'll have to find another USB cord for my camera and take some pictures of the Willys which is the first two door old car I bought that runs. I used to have a 62 Studebaker two door wagon that had a very seized 259 V-8. Wish I wouldn't have gotten rid of that one. All the other old cars I have had have been either 4 doors or trucks. When I was a kid my grandpa wanted to give me a 38 Ford 2 door coupe. I had big plans to put in a V-8 and turn it into a real hot rod. It was in decent shape rust wise but at the time my Dad just wasn't into old cars and didn't want a piece of junk sitting around :( Gramps wound up selling it for 300 bucks. My dad came around eventually now has a 54 Packard which I gave him. The Packard was cool but I really didn't like the automatic transmission and with gas over 4 bucks a gallon at the time I figured driving it as a daily driver would be a quick way to drain the wallet.

9. 440shawn

440shawn

Welcome from Illinois

10. Welcome from southwestern Wisconsin.
    Max

11. Vinny of Destruction

Vinny of Destruction
    from wisconsin

12. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

13. JRRoberts

JRRoberts
    from Madison WI

Welcome from LaCrosse....

14. Falcon_Rod