Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1954 Chevy Chop Progress

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by BenDover, Aug 13, 2009.

1. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

That car looks CLEAN.

Good job on using the wrap around rear window too. It seems when I see a line of chopped 50's car with a tiny back window... it makes 'em all look the same to me. Whether it be a Ford, Chevy, Buick etc...

-Chris

2. jimmy63t

jimmy63t

nice job it looks awesome

3. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

you nailed it!!!!,,,,,,

4. BenDover

BenDover
    from SGV, CA

Couldn't agree more CJ - Here's a shot from the back end w/out glass. I have one already cut that I'm not happy with so we're going to give it another go before the Mooneyes Christmas Show.

JP

Attached Files:

5. rtc1930

rtc1930

Damn that looks nice. I'd agree you nailed it.

There is a '50 chevy 2 door for sale down the street from me and this makes me itch to buy it. The car is stock and looks complete and all original, needs paint but runs and drives. He wants 1,300 for it which seams low to me but i may be jaded by the insane '32 ford and model A prices I see.

again... awesome car

6. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

That Chevy looks awesome, great job on the chop, but the suicide doors on the Merc....oh.... :(

7. roddinron

roddinron

I like what I see, but still can't comment, since with all those pictures, I still haven't seen a full side shot, and that's the only way to truly judge a chop.

8. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Man that come out clean!! So many talented people on here!! Inspiring!!

Ian

9. hvychvy

hvychvy

Looks very nice.Perfect flow!!

10. BenDover

BenDover
    from SGV, CA

Here a few pictures from the side but not at 90 degrees.

These pictures are from the drive up to the Primer Nationals Show right off Highway 101. This is the first show the 54's been to since the chop/notch. The wife, friends and I were flying high all the way to the show and back.

My friend Jeff B. gets the credit on this one... next to my old-lady and kids making me the happiest guy in the world, this guy comes in a close second by helping me sculpt the car of my dreams. It's been an unreal year under construction with almost every Saturday at his place from 7am to sometimes 11 at night, and never did his family give him grief or complain about it - we did have a few visits from the local police department courtesy of his dick head neighbor though...

The doors and hood still need to be dialed in as well as the stainless but I'm not worried about right now. I'll try to drop in the rear window before the Christmas show at Mooneyes. I think the "flow" will be further evident and enhanced once we drop the rear glass in.

Anyhow, here's a few more pictures for you guys that are interested. I sincerely appreciate all the positive feedback and support.

JP

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  11. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Cool, I still really like the wrap around back window.

I wonder what it would look like with two chrome strips seperating the rear window into three parts?

Basically put a chrome strip down from the roof to the rear valance where the back window begins to wrap around the side. Maybe some window trim from one of those wrap around rear window Studebakers...

Just a thought.

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Does it say somewhere on this thread how much you chopped the the car? I love the subtlety and class that this chop was executed in.

13. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm always, always weary of wrap around back glass in our cars chopped, but damn that looks killer!!! Good on ya bro!

14. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

did you use anything to seal the outside or you just prepping it for paint later on?

15. BenDover

BenDover
    from SGV, CA

We sprayed it with 3-36 since I didn't have Gibbs at the time. I plan to leave it like this until I finish up other misc. things on her.

16. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

Its lookin good! I like the bare metal look. I would have to spray mine as soon as she was stripped down to get her before the surface rust here in texas haha.

17. so what are the details on the haircut?

18. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Ben, Love the porportions...hats off to ya & one hell of a job!

19. BenDover

BenDover
    from SGV, CA

What we did is cut the the car so that the roof was about 1/3 the size of the body from the belt molding down. The back window (glass) has to be cut 4.25". The front was cut about 3.75" or there about. The back window frame/glass was cut free from the body and moved forward to keep the rear window rear proportions true and correct as well as the overall length of the roof. I don't know if you can tell but the back window was cut free and moved forward about 5 or so inches.

We noticed that many 54's are cut with the back window in its stock location thereby making the roof look a little long. In some cars, they can look like a welded 4 door turned into a 2 door.

20. hunter1111

hunter1111

i like it alot, Hope my 54 comes out this nice someday. Very nice work!

21. Cruiser

Cruiser

:D Sweet, I like it just the right amount taken off, good luck with build.

CRUISER :cool:[​IMG]

22. TikiBoi13

TikiBoi13
    from San Pedro

I like the clean metal finish.

23. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

the chop came out awesome!! you made you sedan into a sports coupe. looks good!

24. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

killer...love the bare metal! now thats a statement.

25. that is beautiful! It actually made me chuckle, it looks so good... I love to see cars done with proportions in mind instead of shock!

26. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Bitchin' work!! I take it you guys extended the cat walk and moved the beltline forward a bit right? I doing research on how to chop one of these " The right way" and i love what you guys did, there seems to be very minimal cuts. i see that above the rear window no cuts were made, or maybe it's just AMAZING metal finish!:)

GREAT JOB!!

27. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Mild is good.

28. okiegreaser

okiegreaser
    from LA

29. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

damn nice job

30. man this car is killin me! wholy crap! perfection! you get the rear glass from the national chevy association people?