Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hunnert Car Pileup tale:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Irish Dan, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

I'd like to share a story with everyone regarding my experience at the Hunnert Car pileup last Saturday. First, a little background: I FINALLY got my 27 T RPU out and running about nine weeks ago, and have had bouts with over-heating ever since. It runs great at speeds in excess of 45 MPH, but always begins overheating in traffic and at stoplights. I've been back to the radiator shop, one road test after another, 4 fans, 3 thermostats, & 2 fan shrouds later, I'm still running up to temps of 220 & climbing. Then the cool weather set in; It seemed to run better (and cooler) in the lower temperatures. On the way up to the Pileup (about an hour & a half from where I live) my cruising temp was steady at 160 degrees out on the Interstate;...no problem. As we got into Morris, the traffic was backed up about 2 miles and I was constantly reving up the tri-powered 283 up in an attempt to cool it down a little. No luck. It climbed to 220 after about a half hour of creeping in bumper to bumper traffic. I finally pulled off into a parking lot & shut it off. After about a half hour of cooling it down, I got back into the traffic and drove into the Pileup. In that traffic I was at 215 just as I parked it, & shut it off. I dreaded the idea of getting back into the bumper to bumper routine later when it was time to leave. At about 3 PM I threw everything together and fired it up just long enough to hear a loud knockng sound that could be compared to clanging a wrench into an aluminum skillet! I shut it off right away. About a dozen guys (and a few ladies) came over and hovered around my RPU. One of them suggested I fire it up again so we could try to figure out where the racket was coming from. I wasn't real sure I hadn't thrown a rod. After shutting it off again & pulling the valve covers off, we could see I had bent a push rod & thrown one of my rocker arms into another, hence the noise. To make a long story much shorter, a lot of people were there to lend a hand, & help me get back home. In particular, Doug from Woodstock, Ill. who had brought a ton of tools with him Saturday. A young couple from Springfield called local parts stores to see if a replacement push rod was available. Autozone to the rescue! (could this possibly explain the presence of so many small block Chevy engines out here?) The couple then offered to give my buddy & I a ride to the store which was about 10 miles from the Pileup. I bought the part, came back to discover that Doug had already filed down the rocker seat, & was ready to drop the new push rod in. After he wrapped that up, I fired it up, & bar a little clatter, I was good to go! I got home about 8 o'clock without any further problem. FINALLY I've figured out the source of the overheating problem! Soon the necessary parts will be replaced, & hopefully, this time next year will be another story about smooth sailing in the RPU to the Pileup again. There are many morals that could be linked to this story;..carry extra parts, pay attention to any unusual sounds your engine makes, etc; etc; etc; BUT;....there's one word that I believe could best describe what happened last Saturday, and that is CAMARADERIE. Something that I continue to see in hotrodding; Helping each other out when the need arises. I'm so grateful for all the help that was offered to me that day. In particular, to Doug who saw the problem, addressed it, and solved it. A lot of comments have been made regarding last Saturday's Hunnert Car Pileup. Many more comments will, no doubt, be made in the future; This story is just another example of what makes hot rodding in general, and the Pileup in particular, what it is at it's best: CAMARADERIE: A lot of folks gathered together, & pulling together to make something magical happen; and an event that reflects the interests of many individuals who comprise a group;...and have a hell of a good time while doing it! I just thought I'd pass this story on.

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

very nice story

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

what was the reason she was overheating?

4. 440shawn

440shawn

Hey Dan, a great bunch of people

5. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

I guess I neglected to explain that didn't I? It was a lifter that wasn't pumping up, and eventually hung up. At least now I know!

6. Hack Attack

Hack Attack

Thats the type of story that just makes you feel warm!

Thanks for sharing.

7. Well congrats man happy to hear you made it home. I have a similiar story from the road rocket show wear yancy from the rockets lindsey from chicago and scott from bubbas hot rod shop all chipped in to rescue me and I was 800 miles from home. The hospitality and kindness of the people in hot rodding is awesome everywhere I go but to me the midwest people are the greatest. happy you shared that story.

8. Great story. It's the times you break down that you meet the best people and have the best times. My buddie's car broke down twice that day. The last time a couple stopped, went and got the supplies and would'nt take any money.They did that because they had broken down earlier in the day and someone helped them. It's a great community this hotrod group.

9. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

I told you to put a flathead in it Dan :D Glad you got it figured out...see you soon.

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Wonderful heartwarming story. Hot rod folks are the greatest!

11. Thank you for sharing your story! :)

12. Whitey

Whitey
    from T-Town

That's way too cool, I love hearing those stories!

13. Hellfish

Hellfish

That's what it's all about.

Were you back by the band stage, near the food vendors? If not, someone else was tearing down their engine! I walked by on my way back to the front to deal with the chaos and it looked like things were under control, so I had to keep walking.

14. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Irish Dan - GREAT story - That is what this community is about right there!

15. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

Yes Hellfish! That was me and my 27' RPU;...temporarily down for the count!

16. Great Story - Real Hotrodders "rally"

17. I have been telling all my buds for years...the BEST times had at an event or trip is when you have problems. We have found the neatest places, met the coolest people and have the greatest stories from breakdowns.

Great story!!!

18. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Dan, Great story. That's what Hot rodding is all about!!!!!

19. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

Thats what its all about..................Great story.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story, and it's good to hear that you may have the overheating issue figured out.

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, it's been 3 years, so I'm sure he did.:D It's always good to hear about folks just doing the right thing.

22. johnboy13

johnboy13

Huh? This thread is three years old.

23. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

and I thought Mr48chev quit drinkin.....

24. Meth does strange things