Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone have probs with no front plate in Ohio?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sixdogs, Sep 13, 2009.

1. fireball350

fireball350

It depends on how your driving to draw their attention to you. Most cops are pretty cool as long as you are honest and respectful. A persons mouth will get them in trouble more than breaking the law usually. Im sure the worst you will get is a warning if anything at all.

2. OhioRiv

OhioRiv

I've never had a problem with an old car, and just a warning once for my daily pickup. (Had to put the front plate on and go to the cop shop to show them).

When I was a kid, my dad had a '34 Plymouth hiboy coupe with a nerf bar front bumper. He was pulled over one night, and the cop asked "where's your front plate?". My dad answered "on the front bumper". The cop took another look, came back to the window and asked, "where's your front bumper?" My dad answered, "at home in the garage". They had a good laugh. May just depend on whether you're doing something stupid or not.

3. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Well, this is good. I am going to run one plate--- YOM ---on my new ride and call it good. Plate also has three bullet holes in it but is legible.
    I called the DMV in town and the lady confirmed you only need a rear plate if historically registered and have a YOM plate. But you must carry the other two. I don't have a lot of room so I'll just put them behind the YOM plate. I'm older and not an excessive ass so the cops should wave me on anyway.
    Thanks for all the input on this. I wonder if it's true that Ohio might go to just one plate anyway?

4. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

If you are running YOM plates you only need the rear. From what I am being told they are more picky about the color of the plate being correct.

5. floored

floored

No problem's yet. There was a meter maid that worked downtown Columbus that had a battle of wills with a friend of mine. He kept giving her tickets for no front plate and her CPD boyfriend kept trying to get him to stop finally a speeding ticket on his way home ended the fight.

6. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Oops, I forgot...here's the link to the correct colors for the various years of YOM plates. Incorrect colors and you can whistle Dixie but you won't get to use it. I'm good to go for 1933 with orange and black.

http://bmv.ohio.gov/vehicle_registration/historical_model_year.htm

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  7. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

1960 Ohio plates are a goldish yellow and blue, so at first glance they look like the Ohio DUI plates (yellow and red).
    So on the bad side, every cop probably does a double take when I go by.
    But on the good side, everyone else gets out of my way because they think I'm a drunk. :D

8. 36C8

36C8

I've got a 1952 roadster, the only year they didn't make a specific separate plate. They just put 52 tags on the 51 plates...

9. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Hell. I run a 49 Utah plate on mine and No front one......

10. OLDSKEWL61

OLDSKEWL61

most cops are power tripping ass holes

11. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

Probably because you are in columbus. When I lived on the south end of Dayton, cops would hassle me all the time over shit. I've lived in columbus now for 11 years and they have never bothered me unless I was doing something completely obvious or stupid. I attribute it to the fact that they are probably busier trying to catch murderers and theives, as they should be to worry too much about minor traffic offenses.

It's about the area you live in. If the cops are bored, they'll find something to do. If they are busy and your offense is petty, they will let it slide.

I have been told that there is a crack down though lately in Ohio. This could be hear-say, but.... With the recession, the amount of revenue and income due to taxes for PDs and OHWP has slid. As a result they are telling to the officers to ticket everything so that they can stay affloat financially without having to layout officers and such. Take it for what it's worth, but it seems to make sense.

Most of the time, if I get pulled over, I deserved it.

12. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

I registered the car today and maybe learned something new. You never know for sure.
    I was told you need to have TWO YOM plates but it's OK to only run one. Huh? That's what I was told. I only had one with me and she said to carry the other one in the car along with my historical plates. I know this is conflicting but she seemed to be pretty sharp. FYI.
    I'm only running one with the historical plates behind it. I'm 61, appear reasonably harmless and generally obey most laws when someone is looking. I think I'll be OK.

13. bustingear

bustingear

Running for 5 years with no front plate. Columbus, OHIO

14. also i have been told by many car guys that you are allowed to paint the YOM plates to match your car ive seen a few done this way

but when my gf registerd her historical plates for her pontiac i told them that we were gonna find YOM platesand register those (havent yet found a good pair of 1950's HAVE SOME?) and of course that was fine then i asked her about the painting the plates and she said it is illegal to paint them a color they weren't originally painted in

but again it all comes down to the cop and how many people pissed in his wheaties before he saw you and just how stupid of athing you did or how you treat him

15. Ramblur

Ramblur

I was hassled relentlessly in my 57 Chevy sedan delivery.

Them"where's your front license plate?" me,"On the front bumper!"
    Them"where's the front bumper?" me "Oh, its at home."
    Then they'd proceed to write me up for both and a half dozen other
    defects. Most were just equipment violations that required you to
    fix in 48 hrs. and send their little postcard in. I collected them in the
    space above the drivers door were the headliner should have been
    and found them a few years back when I pulled the headliner out again.

BTW, that was in the 70's and I was a teenager. They don't hardly
    give me a second look anymore...:(

16. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

I would double-check that thought to paint any color you wanted. The DMV lady in Ohio went to extra effort to make sure my color was correct for the year. Seems like they wouldn't do that if you could paint any color you chose.

17. fastrichy

fastrichy
    from ne ohio

I was pulled over in my driver for no front plate when it was right there on the front of the car! state boy said where's your front plate in a snotty accusatory tone. I said on the front of the car. He looked dumfounded and said oh. I just drove away. They just want to poke there nose in your bussiness and see what they can drum up I guess.