Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Real Blood Sport: Old-Time Demolition Derby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimi'shemi291, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Spidercoupe [​IMG]
    I ran my first derby in; 1958. you paid 25.00 to enter and they firnished the cars. the cars were from a local junk yard with the glass removed a five gallon gas can mounted inside and the doors wired shut. the cars were numbered and you drew a number when you entered. no cheating on the cars. also the cars were all lined up on one side and the drivers on the other side. when they droped the flag you ran to your car got in hoped that it started and the race was on. too much purpose building of cars now.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    CRASH & Burn added: This would be awesome. I could get into something like this for sure. This type of derby would really show who could drive.

Jimi's Hemi: I hope Joker Jason & some others can talks the honchos into this "RETRO" approach. Especially with smaller, lighter cars seemingly in the future, maybe a gradual (or even rapid) shift back toward traditional rules would give the Derby sport a lease-on life!
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

2. jokerjason

jokerjason

Man not sure whats going on but we just found out that 2 of the end of the year derbies we go to are cancelled because of previous low car counts...Damn!!!! Oh-well time to start cutting apart some cars and gearing up for next year!! See ya JOKER JASON.

3. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

Dang.

We just got word of another derby AND train race in early November after the state championship. Basically, run what you got left over.

BTW, we're taking that '75 Monaco to a derby this weekend. She bad.

4. jokerjason

jokerjason

Good luck man!!! JOKER JASON

5. jim galli

jim galli

Never felt a single twang of pity for any of them, and there were still a few Hudson's going at it when I first viewed a DD out at Saugus. What better fate for gigantic Mopar's once the need for them was gone after Blues Brothers was shot. May as well use the rest of them up for DD. I seem to recall '62 Ford full size wagons were potent contenders. Just think if Mr. O brings cash 4 clunkers back, you could round out an old V8 at DD night and trade it in for $4500 the next morning.

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Now, THAT is funny, Jim Galli! Guys, I sure hate to see that the season is winidng down to sweatshirt time. But, I guess it makes time to pull your strategies together & start working NEXT year's entries?

CONGRATS on evrrybody's wins, places, shows, etc., this season. This thread has been very educational for ME, 'cause I thought it all wound down back in the '70s!!! YOU GUYS WOKE ME UP!! Thanks!

7. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

Well, our crew got first and second place this past weekend.

Next demo derby is OCT 23 - 25....a weekend long affair at the NC State Fair. Heat races on Friday night, Saturday afternoon and Saturday night. Main Event on Sunday. Good times!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Happy Hooker

Happy Hooker
    from Wyoming

old reliable cordobas nice.

9. jokerjason

jokerjason

Cordobas are cool, I have ran a shit load of them!! JOKER JASON

Attached Files:

10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

DerbyX, CONGRATS!!!

Yeah, guys, had a 'Doba. Runnin' SOB!

Glad it's still warm enough where you guys are to still run. All of our county fairs but one in Ohio are over, and they don't do Derby anymore.

11. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

Well, the weekend has come and passed...a full weekend of derby! The only HAMB car I saw was a 1960s era 2-door Lincoln Continential.

I also won my heat in a V6 and got to drive my first Cordoba in the Main Event. Where can I get two more?!!!

BEFORE:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AFTER:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. metalshapes

metalshapes

Cordoba's are O/T for the HAMB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.