Register now to get rid of these ads!

EAGLE FIELD Drag Race & Car Show Dos Palos CA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toymaker, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

WOW! Mark your calenders for the May/ June period for another event! We are so Overjoyed & Thankfull for all the people who attended and enjoyed themselves! YOU deserve a BIG hand and pat on the back for making our (that includes you) a great success! You respected Eagle Field and left the area INCREDIBLY CLEAN, we did not have enough trash cans and you still went the distance to fill them up, all we had to do was dump them.......unheard of. I spent Sunday night out here also after moving the barriers back and I'm currently getting ready to head home and get to work but wanted to thank everyone for their support and the HAMB for making this possible, THANK YOU Ryan for an awesome place for us gear heads to get together and Skip is going to put some original Eelco 14" Spun Aluminum wheel covers up for auction to show our apprecation! The covers were donated by Sormy Bird who put on ONE HELL OF A SHOW, after fighting his way to Eagle Field with charging system problems. Stormy got to the top of the Grape Vine I believe before having to turn around and go back to southern CA to reload another tow vehicle and make the trip, him and Ellen (the best BUG anywhere) are a CLASS ACT.
    I'm rambling and need to go home but I don't want too! I also WANT to THANK Butch Headrick of the American Nostalgia Racing Association (anra.com) for his support and wisdom, Butch puts on the BEST organized, Competitive Nostalgia Drag Race anywhere and we will be at the ANRA Finals in 2 weeks with our HA/GR and O/T 72 Comet, come out and say hi, I will still be reliving our event:D
    I got to go but..............How about the job that Ron & Tammy Thomas of the Shirt Shak (Chowchilla CA.) and Zombie of Rod and Kulture Magazine did on the event shirt..........AWESOME, you guys made us look like we knew what we were doing:D and yes I need some more shirts so contact Strip T's here on the board so he can start a list. More LATER I have to get to work:D Rocky

2. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Here's a couple of crappy pics of an unexpected bonus for those of us who couldn't get our butts moving Sun. morning.

I'm sure someone knows who this was and can fill in the info. This B25 was returning from a Fly-In on the coast and made a slight detour to buzz the field. Too cool! He made 3 passes and my camera was in the trailer. I managed to run in and snap a couple quick ones on his last pass.

Attached Files:

3. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

Hey Rocky , thanks for the best day i've had in a long time . It was a real blast to be able to meet all you guy's in person.We gotta do it again soon.

4. kustomdlux

kustomdlux

Thanks to Rocky and everyone else who made this happen. We had a GREAT time. Can't wait for the next one.

5. Hey Rocky it was great to meet you and thanks again for all your hard work and dedication. This was one first class set up for a first time effort and you still can't get the smile offn my face this truly was a "Rocky's Field of Dreams"...........Carl

6. Dr. Dave

Dr. Dave
    Member Emeritus

A friend of mine from Modesto, John Ward, has a B-25. Not too many of THOSE flying around!
    Dr. Dave
    BRT Dad

7. stormy byrd

stormy byrd

WOW WOW WOW
    What a bitchin Race!
    First I have to thank Rocky for the invite, I will cherrish this race weekend forever!

This deal turned into a quest!
    Leaving at 3:00am with my Chevy wagon push/tow car , the electrical system went out going up the Grapevine. I yanked a battery out of my trailer to make it back to the San Fernando Valley to grab the Yukon & reload everything.
    Back on the road we (Ellen & I , we didnt even have a crew yet, Butch was waiting up there though) we stopped at McDonalds to grab a bite & Ellen noticed the rear door was open......open from the breakdown!!
    Well untill we got up to Eagle field at 10am we didnt know we dropped a 5 gallon jug of Nitro mix somewhere along the grapevine......opps
    When we got to Eagle Field
    Ellen also noticed the right rear wheel had grease all over it. Turns out the bearing on the one (with electric brakes ) went south.
    South as in the axle got so hot it bent,cracked the hub burnt the shoes off, melted the plastic center hub cap...CRAP , well were here & we gotta race!!!

Neigel & Juice from Austrailia (Whom we met back at Bakersfield at AM PM) became or pit crew, I mean they just jumped in and helped, too cool!!

The first pass, not knowing what the car or track would do I took it easy.
    I nailed it off the line(left lane) lighting the tires and about 300' out it got loose and made a turn for the K Rail.....ok we'll just lift on that one and get her back down the left side.

second pass , I got on it a bit more & I believe smoked em to about 500' (I guess) OK that was cool and the car felt good

Third pass OK this is the one I'm breaking the gas peddle off on.
    After the 600' burn out I backed up slowly as Ellen guided me back to let the motor get some heat it it.
    After a few dry hops I could tell "This puppy aint gonna hook at all"
    Neigle & Juice put some water on the skins , I staged , looked at the starter & nodded, he nodded back & jumed 20' in the air.
    I nailed the throttle so hard I heard it hit the chassis, the thing lit the tires & I was off.
    I could see some smoke coming from the fenders most of the way, the motor sounded great and had tons of power (all 3 runs were high gear only)
    This baby was gathering some speed as I hit the chute but I kept on the throttle to 700-800' . Pulling off the track & turning around I could see smoke down to the end of the K Rail ....BITCHIN !!!!
    I took the Halibrands off cause they had new M&H's that I knew would hook better, so I used the 13 year old Mickeys we've had but there on Centerlines & I hate em , but I wanted to make smoker passes , they were mounted so I abused them ( The Hals would have looked great though)
    They , Butch had us come back down the track & they presented us with the checkerd flag, signed by every one!

This thing became a quest & it was well worth it!!
    I have to say the guy doing the flag starting was absolutly great, it was a perfect way to do it. I've never been flag started and he was the BOMB !

My new Aussie Friends Neigel & Juice , I cant thank you guys enough except to say "Thanks Mate"
    All the track pesonel were fantastic ! (oh I forgot nhra wasnt there, thats why)

Sam I YAm & Neglected Steel & all the others , thank you for the cool pictures & video!

My personal favorite car was that bad ass Yellow 55 Chevy , what a hot rod !!!
    In hindsite I should have match raced him smokin the tires chasin him down

Thanks to Joe for letting us abuse his runway, we donated some stuff for his muesum.

The announcer was great too & that mobile tower way too cool
    Thanks to the bitchin Fire Truck there to help us if we got in trouble.
    Thanks to all to friends who came up to help us with the trailer problem

Thanks to my BUG ELLEN aml

And the man of the hour , without whos help I could not have got home, Butch ANRA Headrick.
    Butch figured if we blocked the front right spring & chained the rear axle up it would balance the trailer out on 3 wheels ....it worked, he & Josh took most of our gear in their trailer.
    We drove 50-60 miles & found a Auto Zone in Kerman ?, I got some synthetic grease to grease the right front wheel bearing as it was carrying the whole load, well that bearing was full of metal now!! but I cleaned it & packed it.
    We shot over to Round Table for some eats, there it dawned on me, Swap the front axle hubs side to side, that way at least the bad bearing will have a wheel next to it, we did .
    We made it the rest of the way down to Butch's shop in Delano, at 1:00 am Butch lifted the back of the trailer up with his fork lift & we yanked the whole axle assembly , put it in the Yukon & headed home. Got there at 5:50am....What a day!

Thanks so much to Butch, without him I'd still be up there. Oh and thanks to Josh for all your help ........... and finishing the pizza off.

I'm lookin for parts as we speak

To all the HAMB'ers I met , THANK YOU, your all too cool & like me just want to have fun.Good to see my old buddie Dick Mosely up there & Mark Leigh super tuner.
    Those HAMB dragsters are reall neat, this is the future of drag racing, going back & having fun!
    They say "You cant go home" HELL I NEVER LEFT !

Hope to be part of it next year, Once again THANK YOU ROCKY

StOrMy ByRd "May the Hamb be with you"

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  8. Grezy Matt

Grezy Matt
    from Sweden

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1st off thankyou to the property owner, all the folks who helped & Rocky for putting on this type of event.
    After many hard runs down the air strip, a cracked windshield & a 1000 plus bugs all over the roadster from driving driving up. I had the best time ever.
    Can't wait till next year & thankyou to all who posted pics and video's

9. Strip T's

Strip T's

OK....we've got a few requests for printing more T-shirts...not a problem...just Email us at [email protected] We'll get a list going and do a reprint....lets shot for thursday being the deadline...we'll ship them to you. So just let us know !!!!!!

10. Does anyone know what airfield was run last week before Eagle, the one that the flattie dragster ran on in Chandler Ariz. My son lives down there and was interested........Carl

11. Lancer

Lancer

Do you mean Kingdon, up in Lodi?

12. Trucker Jr.

Trucker Jr.
    from Fresno

13. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

RJ was a flagging maniac all day with no rest.....what a trooper. Those Rock Star energy drinks worked for him.

14. Neglected Steel

Neglected Steel

15. collector

collector
    from madera,ca

Rocky, like everyone said , thanks for all your hard work . that was soooo much fun. It was awesome to see all of your truck buds wanting to help you out trucking those k-rails and helping do what ever needed to be done. everyone had a great time. The next one will be even beter. We are all ready for the next one. awesome cars, awesome people, awesome weather. and thanks to Joe for great food and thanks to all the people that help at eagle field. Great job.!

16. Strip T's

Strip T's

ROCKY...Don't make next years during Armed Forces Day weekend...If you do I can't attend....I have to cook beans for 8,000 people that day....lol

17. Anyone got pics of the Firebaugh Express? The blue Jeep... that thing was bass ass.

Sam

18. Neglected Steel

Neglected Steel

[​IMG]

19. spook498

spook498

Isnt he the one that threw a rod? Or was it the other jeep?

20. Hey Jeff thanks for the pics as I was a little busy at the time, great shots................ Carl

21. Yep he was the one who peed on the track............I also have it on video but he may not want to see it again............

22. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

23. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I'm going to ramble some more...........
    [​IMG]
    Sam's 55 was hands down one of the TOP favorites and recieved 2 awards (you didn't know you were voted favorite Gasser did ya :D), the Eagle Field award and our Austrailian brothers Nigel and Juice had an Aussie's Pick award they awarded Sam ( see photo). Sam is a true showman like Stormy and put on ONE HELL OF A SHOW, the ride he gave me was an awesome Two Lane Blacktop moment I'll never forget! Nigel and Juice had two choices for their award and decided to present Tracy Ledford of Winton, CA with one of their Club shirts ( I got one also:D) for his awesome 392 powered green 31 Model A
    [​IMG]
    so they could sleep Saturday night :D, TUFF DECISION to make, Thank you Nigel, it was a great pleasure to meet you guys, enjoy yourself at the CHRR and your always welcome in our part of the country! Sam, I'll drop your trophy in the mail this week!
    [​IMG]
    Tom Brown was having SO MUCH FUN in his '53 Dodge 241 HEMI powered Coronet that he won the Stock award!
    [​IMG]
    Richard Benson pushed his Model A pickup right to the top and recieved the HR award (shown racing Carl), you guys did an awesome job showing everyone how to have a GREAT time and earned your awards that by the way came out of a flathead my father had in his '40 before taking them out to lower the compression. Dads gone now but I believe that my mother and him were a big part of the success of our event, enjoy!
    [​IMG]
    That's it for today guys more later, Rocky

24. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

Wow! Looks like a great event!

25. RichB

RichB

I could not have had a better time. Thanks to Rocky and all the staff that put this event together. Everyone I've spoken with is so impressed with, what you where able to put together for a first time event. I know this will only get better. I can't wait to do it again.

Awesome job Guys and Gals.

26. I'm surprised his legs didn't give out by the end of the day. :D

27. rikkitabaras

rikkitabaras
    from dallas tx

Man Dos Palos that brings me lots of memories, I used to live in Firebaugh thats where I had my first 58 f100! I remember a guy who had a bitchin 53 chevy pickup and was all original with primer paint and lowered you could not hear the 6cyl running when he went by. this was back in the 80s, man I envyed that guy. Back to Dos Palos yes the central valley does need a run/meet like that. VERY BITCHIN!!!

28. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Awesome photo of the winning HA/GR
    [​IMG]