Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hunnert Car Pile Up Traffic Pile Up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by little ratskulls, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Anybody want to ask why Billetproof FL is changing venues now?

2. Will the Pileup move, NO. Don't even bring it up, it isn't worth the debate. Will they make some minor changes, YES! These guys(and DW) are sharp and on the ball!

I urge ALL OF YOU to write, call or stop in to all the businesses in Morris. Talk to the owners of the Hotels, The restaurants and other places that profit from this show. Tell them how the Police and city dropped the ball. Urge them to put some heat on the movers and shakers and put the blame where it belongs. Better yet, call the State and local police and bitch to them. That is where the complaining will make a difference. Not here! I think the Czars are owed a formal written appology from the city of Morris and the Athuorities. They lost thousands of dollars of revenue and pissed off thousands of people because a couple people didn't do their job.

They had excellent police support at the Lion's club show on Sun. Where they all watching College Football on Sat or what was the deal?

There is absolutely no reason to debate this. Those of you who were there know what happened. Either take good action where it needs to be directed or shut the fuck up!

3. 392_hemi

392_hemi

And you know this because???

Now there's some good advice.

Nice attidude. I'm sure that'll really help cool things down.

4. Plowboy

Plowboy

Cliffy, even if there was someone controlling traffic there physically was not enough room for the spectator cars. So I suppose you are going to tell the laws of physics, space, and time to fuck off as well? Granted the police dropped the ball but even if they were directing traffic there wasn't enough room for all of the spectators.

You seem to forget all of the spectator cars parking in the corn field last year which still had corn/mud in it this year so it was not an option. Shuttle service and another parking lot might be an answer, but everyone will still try to drive directly to the site first so it would have to be out in the same area somewhere. Maybe that shipping terminal between the track and town where guys park their trucks and trailers.....

5. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

so, your sayin youll help me drive my shortbus? it could pay for our beer all weekend...well, maybe friday night!!!!

i would have loved to had a ride out there from the hotel! i hate takin up space in my wifes car when someone else could use it!

6. Sign my petition to repeal the first law of thermodynamics. Isaac Newton was a punkass bitch!

7. hipkatgreaser

hipkatgreaser

Wow I'm glad I didn't make the 18 hr journey to be sent away. Granted I had a ton of family in the Elgin area to stay with but the main reason was to come to the show but there's next year.

8. chris55

chris55

I'm in, as long as the beer is cold.:D

9. i am offering my short bus services for a couple of hours and for cold beer to im in if you got the bus

10. Plowboy

Plowboy

Breeder, I don't think drinking beer and bus driving go hand in hand....well, maybe in Wayland they do.

11. carshowgirl

carshowgirl

I agree the Lyons club show had much more police involvement than the hunnert.

12. You gonna continue to bitch about what happened or bring it up with the right people to make sure it doesn't happen again?

I guess I also didn't hear the stories about room in the lot from people leaving and room behind in the area where the swap used to be.

13. Deadbird

Deadbird

Shuttle service seems to make sense. It worked great for the swap meet on Sunday. Seems like the folks in Morris oughta step up to the plate on this one. The Chrome Czars can't do everything.

14. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

You should have let me know...the rumble seat was available.

15. Plowboy

Plowboy

Cliffy, Why is it that you think that people trying to figure out solutions are bitching? Do you think only your ideas are valid? I seem to recall last year you went off on Hot Rod Josh's Mom for not parking the way you wanted her to didn't you? Maybe you shouldn't be so short sighted and listen a little bit before you tell everyone to fuck off. I am not bitching. I was in the show having a good time, but if no one offers up any solutions how is the problem going to get fixed? Telling everyone to fuck off and getting all beligerent doesn't solve anything, but seems to be your main mode of action.

If you read my previous post I mentioned the room in the back lot. But, how many of those cars waiting in line were actually trying to get into the show, and how many were trying to get into the parking lot as spectators? Telling everyone to fuck off and getting all beligerent doesn't solve anything.

I don't really want to see the show move, but if you are out of room, you are out of room. Chad and I even talked about paying the farmer to plant the front 20 acres or so in alfafa so it can be mowed off for parking. If you want solutions like that you need to plan now, not in the summer. Farmers already have a lot of the imputs for next year's crops bought already so you need to get this figured out quickly....but what would I know about that?

16. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

GREAT insight Aaron, and so true.

17. Green49Ford

Green49Ford

I just did a spit take... Spit spraying........ Thanks Mike for making my day!!!

18. bill blumenberg

bill blumenberg

I got to the Pile-Up as a spectator (driving from Milwaukee) about 9:30AM. Breezed right in with no problems. Stayed at the show until about 4:OOPM and got out with no problems. So the moral of getting there and getting in is this: set your alarm early and get there early!! Anyone who has been there (and I've been there since the second show at Marty's Body Shop) knows this event has grown enormously in the past five years. Maybe it has outgrown it's present location, just as it did when it was held at Marty's. Joliet (Route 66 dragstip) or Union Grove drag strip are just a couple of suggestions.
    What I do know for a fact is the Chrome Czars do a EXCELLANT job in promoting and hosting this event. All the money raised goes to charity. ALL the work is done by volunteers. Any and all problems relating to the early afternoon traffic are the fault of the local, county and state police that, in thier defense if possible, were totally not prepared to handle the ammount of traffic that showed up. I talked to one of the Czars at the Red Cent on Saturday night and he was obvioulsly not happy about the traffic problen. He said some decisions will have to made after they access this years event. Again...please do not blame the Chrome Czars for problems they had no control over.
    If you were fortunate enough to get in,the show was fantastic. The cars, bands (at the grounds and at the bar), vendors, and especially the people were great. I can fully understand that many people were PO'd about not getting in and I really hope the Chrome Czars can get that problen fixed next year. No matter what I will be there (maybe I will have to set the alarm even earlier).
    I don't post often but I had to get my two cents in on this as it is a real hot issue.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  19. kyhotrod

kyhotrod
    from Kentucky

Plowboy for the Nobel Peace Prize!

20. monsterflake

monsterflake

that's thinking ahead!

21. TWEKD1

TWEKD1
    from chicago

i was sent home

22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

For Sale or trade for a 3w coupe body (coupe must have ALL of its original rust)...Donna's 67 RS Camaro

...figured you guys could use a break...:)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. southsider

southsider
    from Pella, IA

Most of the complaints that I heard on the grounds, centered around some joker with a ratty, gasser pick-up that felt the need to start it up and rev the shit out of it every 15 minutes.

24. It was at best less than 8-10 times during the entire day and I fully enjoyed it:):):)

You must not have looked at my truck close, it is far from ratty.

You gonna PM Voodoo Larry and complain to him about firing up the car they had over there. Every time I did, they did as well. I heard Jerry behind me fire up his blown flatty uncorked a couple of times as well, so did a few others. I would think that more people enjoy it than not, every time I did, there were a bunch of people standing around watching. The 10 minutes I took out of your day with loud pipes couldn't really be that bad, is it?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  25. NoSurf

NoSurf

I like the Alfalfa idea.

[​IMG]

26. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

He was right next to Voodoo Larry. Yes it was annoying. Cool truck but annoying.

27. GTS225

GTS225

While I was there at 7:30 and breezed on in to parking as a spectator, and heard nothing about the shutdown until after the show, it does appear that the Czars got a bit blind-sided by the size of growth this year.
    T-shirts gone (men's sizes) as early as 11:30 am.

It is a bit odd that there was city support with traffic control last year, but none this year. There was plenty of county support at the Lion's show/swap, but that might be that a few of the city big-wigs belong to the Lions, but they aren't rodders.
    It almosy makes one want to believe that Morris, (or at least it's "leaders"), want to set things up to fail in order to run the show out.

I am not, however, privvy to what it took to set up this show, and what discussions might have taken place, or are taking place about this. I am confidant that Magnet and the Chrome czars will figure this out and type out a briefing for the rest of us to read. With that in mind, I suggest we all take a deep breath and stop trying to armchair quarterback the event. Let those in charge do thier jobs and inform us when they can.

Roger

28. i got there early and got straight in. i think maybe it's time to do the entry ala the Detroit Autorama. you do pre-entry only and send in a pic of your car with a spec sheet or something. if you drive junk, (and there was plenty of it there), held together with bailing wire, re-bar, and pike nuts you don't get in. sorry if i'm stepping on toes here....actually, no i'm not. i'm frankly sick of the "see how out there, stupid and junky you can build a car" contest. it's not traditional, it's crap. there's no way you can weed out all of this crap with the help of volunteers. there is just too much discrepancy from person to person. is this the fault of the Czars? not at all. it's just something that comes along with something growing as large and as quickly as the pileup.

my club started the pileup at Drew's shop with some help from other clubs including the Czars. they took over after the 2nd year when it got too big to have at Drew's shop. it went from i think 80 cars the first year, to 200 the 2nd year and has been growing since. i personally think they've done a damn fine job since then. especially with keeping it pretty true to what it started out to be. they deserve nothing but praise in my opinion. they work their asses off, not just the day prior to the show, the day of and after the show, but all year long to put on the best damn show in this part of the country.

i feel sorry for the guys with true traditional nice cars that didn't get in because the space was taken up by some knuckleheads rolling crap pile. i realize that not everyone has a huge budget or time to build cars on. i don't either. but i know junk when i see it, and i know what is safe and what isn't. again, thanks to the Czars and the volunteers for doing what you could. to the jerk offs that were dicks to the volunteers, you'll get yours. it probably won't be from me, but i'm sure you'll get it.

29. i heard a lot of complaints about that retarded ass train horn that dude kept honking.

30. slammed

slammed

No problem's for us getting in at 9:00 am. Line was not that big a deal to get to the gate. My 5th Pile was as good as the rest. Offer a solution (s) not a rant. I'm up for Pile Up! #9, esp. if it's at the present locale. A kind word to the folk's WORKING the show, parking ect, won't kill ya would it? Thank You Crome Czar's and all those folk's who made this show possible.......a-gain!!