Register now to get rid of these ads!

New winter hobby, model cars!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zodiac matt, Oct 12, 2009.

1. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

well its going to be getting cold out soon, so i'll be inside more, figure i might start building some models, nothing to difficult at first, i have done some rc car builds and stuff like that but ever a cool old car

so were do you guys get your stuff? places online? local joints? also what scale is the most popular/easiest to work with? thanks, Matt

2. budd

budd

back when i was young i had lots of friends who were into building models, cars mostly, we were the kinds of kids who when we had a model for awhile and were getting short of shelf space would have a day when we would take our models to one guys house and have some fun, we would shoot them with pellet guns, blow them up with fire crackers and basicly turn them into parts, we all had boxes and boxes of parts, sometimes we would trade boxes of parts, this is when you get to build your own creations, large scale engines and tires on smaller scale cars, tank tracks on cars, battle ship gun turrets on cars, lots of fun, run a local ad looking for old models car parts i bet you will meet some fun people and get lots of model advice.

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1/24 scale only $3.00 at the D&C store. Oh wait...that was 1965...sorry.

4. MeteorMan

MeteorMan

5. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

As a kid I built models. I always built 1/25 scale cars/trucks. I built a NASCAR car last winter with my 10 yr old son. I started building a 34 Ford truck, but then spring came so I went back to real cars and summer hobbies. Building models is a great winter hobby, between the time not spent on the HAMB...

6. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Most popular scales are 1/25 or 1/24. Lots of cool stuff available today at your local hobby shop or online at that e-auction place and several on line hobby retailers.

ALSO CHECK THIS OUT:
    <cite>trakinscale.proboards.com/index.cgi

</cite>There are plenty of HAMB members over there and some really great how to pics, kit reviews and even classifieds for your purchasing pleasure.<cite> :cool:
    </cite>

7. There are at least 2 or 3 model car clubs in NJ that you might be interested in joining. There are 2 model car forums I belong to, Model Cars Magazine and the one run by Scale Auto magazine.

I stopped buying kits since I have more than most hobby shops have in stock. I buy mostly at club meetings and at model car shows. The grandaddy of all shows is The NNL East in Parsippany NJ in either late March or early April.

For general aftermarket parts, try Model Car Garage, Scale Dreams, Detail Master and Modelhaus. They all do mail order. Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland doesn't have a web site but some scanned galleries of his offerings are on Fotki albums here and there, you'd have to do a search. He does mail order and is probably the best resin caster in the business and also carries lots of detailing supplies.

And there's also good old evilBay where you can fins almost anything. If you are anywhere near Avenal NJ, there is a huge hobby store there, which I hear is great, have never been there myself.

The most popular scales are 1/25 and 1/24.

Bob

8. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

thanks guys, i just picked up a revell 55' chevy street machine with a solid axle, im not to good at painting so for now im going to put the body together and paint the motor later and put it in, the body is black so im gonna leave it like that for now :D

9. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

WallyWorld used to be a good place to get inexpensive kits, but they stopped carrying them. Since they did, kits are tougher to locate but most hobby shops carry them, as well as a limited stock of them at chain craft stores. There are also web-based hobby sources just a Google search away.

One of my favorite places on the web to get ideas and swap tips is the Spotlight Hobbies Message Board (wwwboard.modelcarkits.com). A great group of modelers there with a variety of skill levels, from the guys like me who build for their own shelves to guys who build cars that look like they used a shrink ray on the real thing.

Here's one of my HAMB-friendly builds.[​IMG]

10. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

thanks guys, im about 80% done, i broke one of the leaf springs trying to get the chrome dip off so the glue would stick, painted the body, it needs to be lettered but i cant do that, right now the motor is all drying up, just gotta put it in and put the little outside body stuff on, which isnt much since its a gasser

11. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

I did the model thing back in the mid 60's to the early 70's.I back into it about 5 years ago--don't build as much now, cause the eyes aren't like they used to be! I was walking around our local Michael's craft store with my wife yesterday--Revell 32 ford sedan--$25.00! I'll keep buyin' my stuff on E-gay or some of the other internet model sites.

Attached Files:

12. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Michaels' kit prices are set at about current retail.... amazing when you consider kit retail when I started building was $2.00! If you get a flier from Michaels in your paper, check for the "40% off one item" coupon they have in it every week. That will help take some of the sting out of the price.

13. boldventure

boldventure

14. I'm getting back into it now after a good summer spend outdoors between beach and pool activities.

I spent around $60 this past weekend on re-stocking paint, styrene stock supplies. I have 2 major projects on the bench, '49 Ford coupe slammed, '49 Merc resin bodied custom and a '37 Chevy pavement modified. There is a couple of shows that I want to catch too, so I'm in the building mode.

Bob

15. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

here it is, my first model, no lights/bumpers/1 seat, ect, tried to make it a strictly drag gasser, painted the front fenders a different color so it looks like it hit a wall and they had to be replaced, also, i made the mount for the moon tank myself out of the black stuff the peices are attached too, im pretty proud of myself for doin this build, it tought me some patience, i wish i could letter it, im not good at painting with a brush, i wanna letter it so theres a half word comming from were the old fenders would have been, i also wish i could have added some tint, hope you guys like it

[​IMG]

yes, i know a leaf spring is missing, i broke it :mad:

16. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

17. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Kool zodiac matt, you are on your way. Be careful it may turn into an addiction. Thats what I have heard. :)

18. McFly

McFly

Yeah, that's what I do. Makes them like $15 bucks. I just picked up the new 32 5w kit at Michaels. It's killer.

19. Next thing you know, your closet shelves will be full, under the bed, buying a small parts clear "dreambox" with drawers of Chev engines, Ford engines, wheels, pulling tractor weights, headers, ________________________, _____________.
    Plug wires in firing order, five year projects, etc.
    I am Patrick2965, and I'm not a quitter.
    p.s. The picture to your left is a real engine on a real engine stand. I CAN mimic this in plastic with spare parts.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  20. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

You know, build a car, take it outside and put it in the driveway, snap a cell phone picture and take it to work to show your buddies what you "bought" over the weekend. Looks real enough on a tiny cell phone screen to get your buddies to look really close and start asking questions...

Attached Files:

21. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Come to Australia, on-line the 32 5 window is only $45 plus postage, but luckily I found a shop that has them $54!! Not a real cheap hobby anymore!:eek:
    Buy sheet styrene and brass and build everything yourself!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yeah I know, not HAMB friendly but its the only scratch built stuff I have pics off.....
    Doc.

22. ratster

ratster

i did that last year, now i have over 50 kits i'll selling off in the hamb classifieds.

23. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

bought another today, revell 3 in 1 53' chevy, lowrider, stock, or custom, im goin to mix all 3 up and make one instead of just picking one direction

24. Deuces

Deuces

That's a nice build!! :)