Register now to get rid of these ads!

Before Craigslist there was THE RECYCLER

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by G9mickey, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Bought about 150 vintage cars out of the Recycler in a single year (1991).
    Never unhooked my car trailer.
    Thank you, Recycler!

P.S. The beginning of the end came when the L.A. Times took over the Recycler. And then the Internet killed it, of course.

2. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I too miss the days of the Autotrader and a highlighter, looking for a steal.

3. 1929

from Pomona

The worst was you couldn't delete the "AD" so phone calls came in FOREVER!
    Boy, did that piss my dad off. He would unplug the phone all grouchy status. Then the Thursday morning professionals would start calling at 7:45 am cause the official drop off time was at 8am. Man was that fun, it was almost like horse trading. In the late 70's and 80's there was cars everywhere. Really good cheap stuff like Impalas Ghias Mustangs and LOTS of old chevys.
    It was like taking candy from a baby. Good Times for sure!!!!:cool::cool:

4. TurboRay

TurboRay

They don't have the Recycler here in NorCal (I wish they did), but I sure used the hell out of it when I lived in SoCal - a great paper.

IMHO, one of the best things was the way it was (probably still is) organized. EVERYTHING was categorized and easy to find - you didn't have to go thru every ad in the paper to find exactly what you wanted. In the car section, for example, the makes were all alphabetized (Audi, Buick, etc.)......and then within the different makes, the models were alphabetized (DX, EX, LX, etc.).......and within the models, they were arranged in decending (or, was it ascending?) prices. AMAZING!!!

C'ya - RAY

5. L.A-Bar

L.A-Bar
    from Florida

Anybody here old enough to remember "The Valley Green Sheet ?" Had the best deals in the San Fernando Valley..........

6. G9mickey

G9mickey

BTW Folks.... the Recycer Aint dead... I hate to give away my mojo..but the website is http://recycler.com/ and there's still a lot of great deals on there. Also, Dont forget their car show... see page 1 of the thread...

7. Diana The Doc

Diana The Doc
    from New York

With "CRAIG'S LIST" often resulting in robbery, rape, molestation, and even murder for those naive cyber surfers who've used it without exercising extreme caution and discretion, it'd sure be nice if more folks would utilize the services of The RECYCLER, it's a h*ck of a lot safer!!... It seems like almost every week there's a story on the TV news telling of somebody losing either life or limb due to responding to an "online ad" they found on CRAIGS LIST... It worries me that some folks just don't have the intelligence to realize how much dire danger can result from responding to a CRAIGS LIST advertisement-- you can lose your money, h*ck, you can lose your life, d*rn it!!... Thanks so much for bringing THE RECYCLER to the attention of our friendly group here... Maybe your posting of this valuable information will even save a life or two of our valued membership here... Thanks again... You are doing the members here a great service... "The Doc" (Celebrity Drag Racing Authority & Visionary)...

8. 33Master_Eagle

33Master_Eagle

Oh man, I remember sitting there reading the recycer and just dreamin about what i wanted to buy and what i would do with it once i got it home. The good ol' days :)